Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another Car Won't Start. Need some input.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the cranking feel/sound normal when you tried? Any slower than normal? I'd be hesitant on blaming the starter if not. Did you boost it at the battery or under the hood? Maybe try putting the cables on the battery, letting the boost car run for a few minutes then give it a try? I never trust remote terminals as they have let me down in the past.
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

The starter has seemed a little slower for a little while. Nothing sounded much different. When the starter stopped turning there was a very high pitched whine for a few seconds but I couldn't tell what exactly it was. We did leave the cables hooked up for about 15 minutes, jumping straight from the battery is an option that I haven't tried.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    Vararam, PaceSetter, Magnaflow, Comp, Pac, Yank
    11.95 @ 116.64

Post Thanks / Like

That whine was likely the sound of the starter solenoid. Maybe it is your starter afterall...get your battery out of the mix by boosting the car straight from it. If it starts fine your battery is the issue. If nothing changes than considering your huge voltage drops when cranking start looking at the starter as the problem. Every other option is very time consuming or very expensive so the starter is as good of a place to start as any.

Checking every fuse is cheap and couldn't hurt.
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying the starter was turning the engine over but it wasn't firing? If thats the case then the starter is fine, although you could have damaged it by exceeding the duty cycle of the starter motor. I would be checking to make sure you didn't burn up some wires being close to the LTs. I doubt it has anything to do with the tune unless you recently messed with the startup airflow or cranking fuel.
    Atmospheric Acquisition

Sydney - 2009 G8 GT - Liquid Red, Onyx/Red interior, Flat Black Rally Stripes
    Performance: Tuned By Me Using HP Tuners, TMS Forged 402, Ported LSA Supercharger 2.5/9.5, AIS Dual Nozzle Water/Methanol Kit, Super Chiller, ID850 Injectors, Rick C. Blower Cam, Morel Lifters, Comp Trunion Upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust w/ 3.5" tips, CTS-V Torque Converter, Camaro 3.45 Diff, 6 Piston Front/4 Piston Rear Brembo Brakes, ZL1 Fuel Pump/BAP, Saikou Michi Dual Catch Cans, Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links, BMR Cradle & Diff Bushings, Derale Trans Cooler, SJM Line Lock.

Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Post break down.hpl

So, this morning I go out and recheck everything and hook up our truck for a jump directly to the battery. After a few tries the car finally starts. Only now it seems to be running a little rough. While I'm sitting there "Check Oil" comes up on the display. I know the oil level is good, but I double checked anyway. Also, there seems to be more valve train noise from the engine, more "ticking" than usual, almost like a damn diesel. I am running PAC .650 dual springs with LS7 lifters. I hooked up my computer and ran a scan with HP tuners, and no DTCs or anything. I am attaching the scan. Maybe someone can give me some insight. Could it be the oil pump now? Thanks again.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    11.95 @ 116.64

Post Thanks / Like

Post break down with Oil pressure.hpl

So, I figured out how to log oil pressure with HP tuners and it showed 0.00. That should mean the pump and not the sensor right? Especially because of the noise.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    11.95 @ 116.64

Post Thanks / Like

Matt this doesn't sound good. I haven't had anything constructive to say yet that hasn't already been said, but I certainly wouldn't start your car again. Wonder if you could have somehow blown out your pickup tube o-ring and lost oil pressure?? Doubt it though, never heard of that happening. And the oil pump is crank/gear driven so I don't see how it could have all of a sudden gone bad. Are you running the original l76 timing chain tensioner or and Ls2 one? Almost sounds like something clogged up something and the motor isn't getting oil pressure.
    New (cheap monthly payment car, lol): '12 Candy Apple Red Mustang GT 5.0 6MT, stock for the time being

**SOLD **
    White Hot '09 G8 GT, Pat G tune, Pat G cam (.634"/.608", 223/230, 112 + 2), G8-4-Speed ported & milled heads, "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Reckart 90mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Rotofab, Magnaflow CB, H & R springs, stock gears & stock stall, 11.865 @ 120.32 mph, 1.941 sec 60'

Post Thanks / Like

I am running the LS2 chain and tensioner. I'm wondering how it could have gone bad like that too. I will probably end up draining the oil and checking the filter tomorrow to make sure there isn't any metal or other debris in there. I talked to the guy who did my cam install today, and he thinks maybe oil pump too. I cheaped out a little and reused the stock pump when the cam was installed though. Hopefully tomorrow when I drain the oil its clean. I really can't afford to have to tear down the motor right now. Either way, i'm not running it again until I get something figured out.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    11.95 @ 116.64

Post Thanks / Like

Oil pumps are pretty tuff, cant imagine the pump going bad. Make sure the sensor is plugged in. The one thing I see is your o2 signal looks terrible. Either you got "noise" from a bad plug, wire, or o2 sensor or there is something mechanical wrong like a bent valve or broke valve spring. Again, this is a guess. Other than the o2 signal, the air, fuel, and spark look the same between the two scans.
    https://www.facebook.com/RickCrawfordRacing
    2009 G8 GT-Rick Crawford- LS-4-SPEED@nc.rr.com

2.00 60ft 13.06 @ 106.65 w/ 1.85 SLP Rocker-HPTuner
    1.97 60ft 12.97 @ 107.9 w/ 3.45 gears
    1.97 60ft 12.87 @ 107.7 w/ 4"-2.5" exhaust
    1.94 60ft 12.57 @ 111.9 w/ 217/225 Lunati cam
    2.03 60ft 12.37 @ 115.3 w/ Doug Thorley headers
    1.94 60ft 12.20 @ 115.0 w/ 219/233 Thumpr Cam
    1.70 60ft 11.38 @ 121.5 w/ 100hp NOS Dry shot-HSW controller & 285/40 NT05 Drag Radials on stock 18's
    1.72 60ft 11.65 @118.55 w/ 221/233 111LSA+0 Ported AirRam intake, Street tires. All Motor. DoD/AFM still functional.
    1.66 60ft 10.87 @ 127.08 w/ 221/233 lunati, 2800 stall, 100HP wet nitrous shot, milled & ported LS3's.
    1.65 60ft 10.81 @ 129.10 150Hp shot 2600 stall.
    1.53 60ft 10.59 @ 129.72 ALL MOTOR! ! ! ! Fastest N/A G8 Record Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8-4-Speed View Post
    Oil pumps are pretty tuff, cant imagine the pump going bad. Make sure the sensor is plugged in. The one thing I see is your o2 signal looks terrible. Either you got "noise" from a bad plug, wire, or o2 sensor or there is something mechanical wrong like a bent valve or broke valve spring. Again, this is a guess. Other than the o2 signal, the air, fuel, and spark look the same between the two scans.
    I noticed that "noise" too, but wasn't sure what could be causing it. I can only hope its nothing too bad. I'll double check that sensor too. Could that noise be caused by the lack of lubrication in the engine as well?
    Last edited by Matt82; 09-10-2012 at 02:36 AM.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    11.95 @ 116.64