Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Differential gear oil change

Post Thanks / Like

Default Differential gear oil change

After much research on various forums, including the Holden forums, it has been determined that the "best" is actually the "only" lube that can be used on our G8's with the stock non-camaro rear. Apparently only the G8 and the Land Rover "E" or Electronic Differential uses this special Carbon Modified gear lube. It is 75w-85 fully synthetic gear lube with special modifiers/additives for our carbon coated parts. The fluid is made by Castrol. It is called: Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus, it does not cross to any other type fluid or brand. The diff has carbon clutch discs. The castrol lube is is designed for our type of diff specifically. Land Rover part number is LRN #500070 and is roughly 60 bucks a qt. GM part number is # 92184900. Locally it was 40 bucks a qt from my Pontiac/GM/Buick dealer. It came in a new bottle exp dated to 2/14 and mentions to be used for carbon coated rears and is back compatible (though expensive). I asked for a discount and he gave me 15% off just for the asking! Unfortunately it does require two bottles because it uses just 3-6 oz of the 2nd bottle.
    I have78,000 hard miles on my car.
    When mine came out it was BLACK AS PITCH, and oddly much thicker then what went in, which BTW was nearly clear like apple juice, and much thinner then what came out. I plan on getting another bottle and replacing this fluid again in like 3 months, I will essentially use this change as a flush since the out going lube was so dark black. SOTP feeling was that it was very quiet, did not realize my rear was making any noise until it was gone, a real smooth feeling, like driving on silk. And it seems I really did get a bit more mpg, though complete testing is continuing. I figure 1/3 to .5 of a mpg. I do reccomend a change of the rear lube around 50,000 miles or so. My mechanic took roughly an hour to do in the driveway.
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000

Post Thanks / Like

pitch black,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99ssragtop View Post
    pitch black,
    Vin Diesel, what?

Good to hear the change went well. It'd take even less time, but the stupid rear exhaust piping is in the way of the drain plug. *grumbles*

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

My exhaust is not stock, and he did not mention any hardship because of the pipes. I will ask him.
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AVIDMOTION View Post
    My exhaust is not stock, and he did not mention any hardship because of the pipes. I will ask him.
    May have made it easier. On my car, I can remove one of the American Racing Headers midsection pipes to get to the diff. Then again, he may also have TOOLS. At least more tools than I do.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same findings.

Increase of MPG - I didn't really notice a reduction in noise - and better diff action with pushed hard.

meanwhile I spent more time filling the diff than I did getting to stuff. damned suction gun wouldn't hold enough and I had a lot of loss.

next time I will used a funnel and a hose and use a 3'rd hand.

Also I used about a quart and a half filling to the edge of the fill port - IE where you could feel the fluid with your pinky finger
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

In Canada, my dealer had to special order from the US.. I used Royal Purple, no issues, gone about 7,000 miles, still does posi burnous, and no noise. Guess if it blows, I will get a Camaro 3.45 Diff...

Post Thanks / Like

There was a lot of various forum activity related to this topic, most of which pointed to stay with the stock stuff, nothing was really an improvement and alot of weird things happened with changing from the stock special recipe, I did not wish to tempt fate with my luck, so stock lube for me....