Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Caprice PPV Alternator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caprice PPV Alternator

Quick question, everyone has problems with alternator whine, and with my stereo I need a higher output alternator. I know the one for the caprice is higher output, so I have three questions:

Is it available?

Will it fit?

Anyone tried it to see how the whine is?

I have routed my cables down the middle of my vehicle, even relocated the passenger side crossover to the trunk, and there is now 0 whine coming through the speakers, but I still hear it under the hood.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2009 PBM G8 GT - Current
    2008 Corvette Z51 M6 - Sold
    1995 240SX RB25DET Swap - Gone and Missed
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Totaled
    1993 Camaro Z28 - Totaled

Post Thanks / Like

The whine problem is rooted in the fact that the PBM G8's got the alternator that didn't have the helical cut gears.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

No, seriously...Try locating an alternator shop in your area that rebuilds them and let them diagnose it. It won't be their first rodeo, and they can retrofit the one you have to put out what you need.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 Caprice PPV Alternator (170A) 92247651 comes with pulley and cap.

2008/2009 Pontiac G8 GT & GXP Alternators would have been 92191127 or 92193199.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

5. Thanks norm8332 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I realize that this is an older thread but I did a search on that part number and it doesn't appear to be available any longer. Has it been replaced with 92258220?
    Last edited by Marauder; 08-01-2014 at 01:05 AM.
    '08 G8 GT, 546 rwhp, TVS1900, Supercharger cam, FTI 2800 stall converter, BMR sway bars, rear trailing arms, HSRK, Atari gauge upgrade, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Resonators, Corsa system, ported throttle body, stereo upgrade, Homelink

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    I realize that this is an older thread but I did a search on that part number and it doesn't appear to be available any longer. Has it been replaced with 92258220?
    Yes it looks like 92247651 was discontinued and replaced with 92258220.
    Greg at Pace will have more visability of when the change took place than I can see here.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!