Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions to other snow states

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaFromFL View Post
    You'd think the new car dealers would be pushing for "safety" rules that require road salt. They might even make a generous donation of calcium chloride to make the roads "extra safe". I have to wonder why road salt is still used given improved tires, stability control, traction control, and environmental concerns.
    Due to some of our storms we get, it's not ice we get it's SNOW, not wet snow like some of the eastern states/provinces. If we do get ice it's usually for a day and the combination of sand and sun evaporates it pretty quickly.

Some snow plows run 24-7 during some parts of the winter. 2-shifts.

iPhone, Tapatalk, enough said!
    Team G8

Modifications...
    Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
    Cortex Tune
    V8 6.0 Litre Badge
    Color Matched Headlights
    BE by Breyton Wheels (19x8.5 +45 Front, 19x9.5 +45 Rear)
    Continental ExtremeContact DWS (245/40/19 Front, 275/35/19 Rear)

Coming Soon...
    DOD Delete
    Heads
    Headers
    Cat-Back Exhaust...bought, just needs installing

Post Thanks / Like

I lived right on the Lake Michigan shoreline (Grand Haven) can you say lake effect, when I bought my G8. I have eibach springs and have no problems with snow tires (used Falken HS439 Eurowinter I believe). Heck half the fun of owning a G8 is pitching it around in the snow.

Good luck
    -Chad

VCM intake, Kooks 1 7/8 LTH, Kooks cat and mid-pipes, Hooker Maxflo muff,
    223/231 .625 .622 RCR Cam, RCR heads, intake and TB, .
    BMR swaybars, Koni shocks, Eibachs, Lovells strut bushes, BMR rear LCA, rear cradle inserts.
    Camaro Brembo's F & R, V701 rims 255f/285r 11.77 @ 118 on street tires

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on stock height and the G8 still pushes lots of snow. Usually it's not bad though - haven't ripped anything off or come close to that. Like everyone else said, buy some good winter tires, drive carefully, and you'll be OK.
    2009 G8 GT::Panther Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnak View Post
    I'm on stock height and the G8 still pushes lots of snow. Usually it's not bad though - haven't ripped anything off or come close to that. Like everyone else said, buy some good winter tires, drive carefully, and you'll be OK.
    Good to know the nose of these cars are tougher than our LCAs. Which winter tires do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Todasi View Post
    I lived right on the Lake Michigan shoreline (Grand Haven) can you say lake effect, when I bought my G8. I have eibach springs and have no problems with snow tires (used Falken HS439 Eurowinter I believe). Heck half the fun of owning a G8 is pitching it around in the snow.

Good luck
    I had a Subaru I use to do this with all time. My record is 16" of the white stuff without getting stuck, alot of spinning but no shoveling, that time.

I don't get that much of that type of snow so that works for me. Plus Eibachs are the way I'm going too. Are those tires good on snow packed roads?

Team G8

Modifications...
    Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
    Cortex Tune
    V8 6.0 Litre Badge
    Color Matched Headlights

Coming Soon...
    DOD Delete
    Heads
    Headers

Post Thanks / Like

With the RE50 Bridgestones I couldn't even make it up a slight hill in the snow lol

Post Thanks / Like

Living on the lake effect side of Lake Ontario in western NY, I put a set of 4 Blizzak WS70's on for the very first snow season 3 years ago. I don't need to drive a lot in the winter because my office is in my home. With that said, I still want the safety and security a set of 'snows' provide. With patient, winter driving skills learned from young on many RWD cars in the family, I strongly recommend investing in a set and enjoying your car year 'round. Besides, a $500 collision deductible really ends up costing you a lot more than the $1000 you may spend on a set of snows that will provide you a solid 3-4 years of safe winter driving.
    Mike
    2009 MSM-Onyx G8, Premium Package, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound Package
    VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II, Pontiac Cargo Tray, Trunk Lid Liner, Auto Dim Mirror, Garmin 1450LMT
    , Mobil 1

Other Cars:
    2014 Terrain SLT
    2012 Malibu LT
    2009 Impala LS
    1967 Bonneville Convertible - Completely Original/No Restoration 56000 Original Miles No Winters NYS Car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
    Living on the lake effect side of Lake Ontario in western NY, I put a set of 4 Blizzak WS70's on for the very first snow season 3 years ago. I don't need to drive a lot in the winter because my office is in my home. With that said, I still want the safety and security a set of 'snows' provide. With patient, winter driving skills learned from young on many RWD cars in the family, I strongly recommend investing in a set and enjoying your car year 'round. Besides, a $500 collision deductible really ends up costing you a lot more than the $1000 you may spend on a set of snows that will provide you a solid 3-4 years of safe winter driving.
    Mike
    I'll have to try Blizzaks since they were mentioned multiple times do far. Which size did you go with? 18"?

Team G8

Modifications...
    Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
    Cortex Tune
    V8 6.0 Litre Badge
    Color Matched Headlights

Coming Soon...
    DOD Delete
    Heads
    Headers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonnynadeau View Post
    I'll have to try Blizzaks since they were mentioned multiple times do far. Which size did you go with? 18"?
    I'm running 225/R55-17 which was the recommended -1 size from Tire Rack stepping down from the factory 245/R45-18's. I also went with their most inexpensive wheels - there were no steel wheels available when I bought them Here's a pic for reference. I highly recommend Tire Rack and they are a forum vendor - Tire Doc is the forum rep for us. He does a great job. In fact I'm placing an order with him this week for a set of winter wheels / tires for a 2012 Malibu LT my daughter drives. Needless to say - I'm sold.
    Mike
    100_2026..JPG
    2009 MSM-Onyx G8, Premium Package, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound Package
    VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II, Pontiac Cargo Tray, Trunk Lid Liner, Auto Dim Mirror, Garmin 1450LMT
    , Mobil 1

Other Cars:
    2014 Terrain SLT
    2012 Malibu LT
    2009 Impala LS
    1967 Bonneville Convertible - Completely Original/No Restoration 56000 Original Miles No Winters NYS Car

Post Thanks / Like

Mike
    Blizzaks FTW. Exactly why I want them. I will try and head home before snow, but in the event I do get caught I want to be safe.

I'm running 225/R55-17 which was the recommended -1 size from Tire Rack stepping down from the factory 245/R45-18's. I also went with their most inexpensive wheels - there were no steel wheels available when I bought them Here's a pic for reference. I highly recommend Tire Rack and they are a forum vendor - Tire Doc is the forum rep for us. He does a great job. In fact I'm placing an order with him this week for a set of winter wheels / tires for a 2012 Malibu LT my daughter drives. Needless to say - I'm sold.
    Mike
    100_2026..JPG
    Like he said they don't come in stock 18" size, only their PM-60 "Winter" not snow tires do. Youll have to go with a smaller wheel size and get new wheels to run their WS-series "Snow" tires. Which I highly recommend. The difference is Snow tires are made for snow. Their plain winter tires are made of harder compound better for driving hard in cold conditions, not necisarily snow but maybe light snow fine. Its 110% worth getting the new wheels and tires. Im a broke college student and I just spent the $1400 to mount and ship them to my door. Im gonna have to play the balance transfer game to pay for them over time with minimal interest but I absolutely had to do it since I have a 50mi commute to school 4days a week and 15mi commute to work 4 days a week. (Overlapping days where I do both).

Funny though I just ordered Blizzak WS70's on my way to my house now and they (TireRack) recommended 235/R55-17 to me on Modo 17x7.5 size wheels.
    Last edited by WoodburyMan; 09-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    2015 Chevy SS, Sunroof, M6, No Spare, Perfect Blue Metallic
    Appearance: Complete LED conversion, 6000K HID Bulb Swap, Holden Front and Rear Badges
    Electronics: A119S DashCam with Hide-a-fuse
    Go Stuff: Custom DiabLew 93 Octane Tune,
    Stop: Hawk Ceramic Pads
    Wheels: (Winter)ModaBlack w/ 245/55/18 Michelin XICE3. (Summer)Stock 19" Rims, Michelin Pilot Sports 4S

Gone But not Forgotten:
    2009 Sport Red Metallic G8 GT, Premium Package
    2005 Cyclone Gray Metallic GTO, M6
    2006 Stealth Gray Metallic G6 GTP
    2003 Sans Gold Metallic Sunfire

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know the nose of these cars are tougher than our LCAs. Which winter tires do you have?
    Michelin Alpin PA3s. Don't get them, I'm sure there are better winter tires out there. The PA3s are a "performance winter" so they're pretty good in the dry, but just barely adequate in actual winter conditions.
    2009 G8 GT::Panther Black