Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vector Motorsports (Re)Tune - Review

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, kirk's new Torque Management tweaks are awesome...i also got torque management removed in manual and the car is so much fun!

I have not yet headed to the dyno with my new tune, but it definitely feels faster.
    '09 PBM G8 GT

Go: Livernois Stage 1 L92 Cam, ARH 1-7/8 LT Headers, Loudmouth Axleback, RotoFab CAI, HPTuners, Pedders Xa Coilovers/Street 2 Bushings, MSD 8.5mm Plug Wires
    Show: 20" Savini Avarus AV5 staggered wheels with FK452 tires, tinted tail lights, 'custom' HSV GTS Console Trim Mod, Gremlyn 5000k 55w HID kit, 30% tint, Holden V8 Badges
    Best Time: 12.530 @ 115.39MPH
    Dyno: 383RWHP/355RWTQ

ET2(SS)
    US Navy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...onkee1/Sig.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
    Headers, torque converter or maybe a cam kit? They all make nice power for a decent dollar.
    Problem is that you need the headers for the cam, but they only appear to add ~20rwhp. This is the sticking point as I consider options. The intake + tune is a given...but $1700+ to add 20 hp, THEN the cam can make its power.

Slightly off-topic, but it would be interesting to see a mild cam through the stock exhaust...sorry for thinking out loud! This stuff then makes me think "go ahead and get a blower or turbos". Enough to drive you nuts .

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobyoung View Post
    Mine shifts much firmer and higher in sport mode, I like firm shifts, I get rubber in 2nd and definitely get pushed back in the seat when it shifts. I also leave it in normal when I can as it's much better on gas, but it is damn fun to either use sport mode as it's so much faster or Manual which is even more fun. I never asked what the numbers were, (I wouldn't have known anyway, I just learned what TM meant reading this thread) I just got the Cat ECM-TCM tune, but what a difference, made this car drive like I wanted it to. I can't decide on my next mod, wanted a Pro-Charger or maybe a Mag Charger but they're a little too steep for me at this point. What would be a good logical next step I could do, maybe for a couple grand?
    Headers and torque converter plus install will run you $2500 to $3000. It's well worth it.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa View Post
    Headers and torque converter plus install will run you $2500 to $3000. It's well worth it.

Yep. The car is crazy fun to drive now!

2009 White Hot G8 GT (stock)

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,
    Ported Intake Manifold, Spohn Trailing Arms

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, thanks for such a fine review. That is some very useful stuff. Spring will get here eventually and I'm ready to mod.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
    Yep. The car is crazy fun to drive now!

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I might go that route. We'll see what happens when I get my tax returns. I assume I'd have to have Kirk retune the car for this? I'm leaning toward the ARH headers, do they have that nice low V8 rumble at idle (and at speed) or would I have to get new mufflers also? Would it still pass emissions?
    2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Stealth VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Vararam Ram Air, VMS HSRK, Front Panel Mod, axle-back straight pipes with capped Helmholtz chamber.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the newly updated TCM tune.... and ECM for the headers, for that matter. This car really throws you back in the seat on those early shifts!!! Well done Kirk!
    2009 Panther Black Metallic
    Premium/Sport/Sunroof
    SLP LT Headers w/ HF Cats, Magnaflow Catback, RotoFab CAI, VMS ECM/TCM "Stealth" 91 Octane Tune, PB 25% UPD, 35% front, 5% back/rear "Formula One Ceramic Tint", Debadged (Added V-badge), Holden Centre Wheel Caps, Moblil 1 Synthetic Oil

Post Thanks / Like

So you have to personally ask what to set the TM too when you order your tune ? What other personal options on the tune are available ?
    2009 G8 GT
    Stryker Blue Metallic ~ Premium w/Sunroof, VM ECM/TCM Tune, NEP OTR Intake, Borla Cat-back & Holden Badges

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    After doing it all the rear is the weak link. There are issues in the front, but a lot of attention needs to be paid to the rear.

Post Thanks / Like

Kirk, make them stop hogging the tuner so I can get mine done...

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading these threads with the tuning and learned a lot about TCM. Victor even answered an email. My question to all of you experienced G8 mod experts is who had the earliest tune done? I am interested in long term negative affects on the tranny. I am already disliking the torque management and at times it trying to figure out where it should be when my foot is on the floor. The car runs like a raped ape when it is in the right gear and screaming at me, it is just getting it there. Victor said that their standard TCM tune is 50% for normal. My other question is if your manual shift is 5% or 0% does it shift when you tell it? It is so discouraging right now that it won't shift when I tell it in Manual. I doubt that it is a computer update issue as much as the TCM. Has anyone had experience with their Stealth Tune? It seems like the best of all worlds for only $20 if I read it right on their website.