Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking,Filling,Changing ATF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    Sure if you happen to be blessed with a lift....

Nah just a garage and four jackstands...LOL
    '09 SBM G8 GT - GT7 (Sport and Premium packages w/ Sunroof), Lovells Eliminator Super Low Combo, Pedders Street 1, BMR sways...

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody but me seems to have a big issue with this but it well and truly pisses me off. Never in my life have I had a car where I couldn't check my trans fluid. I consider this a large screwing courtesy of GM.

All around good guy but prefer warm Louisiana Mississippi Florida coast.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    Ford, Isuzu, Honda, M-benz, BMW and some others have been doing it this way for awhile. Statistically this method leads to longer life because cheap or incorrect fluids wont be installed. BMW trans fluid is $120 a GALLON! They say if it needs it something is wrong and to R&R trans. I will take our trans any day!
    Yep! I was way ahead of them...I used to have to check it often, but about 10-12 years ago i stopped and never worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    I like to be able to check my own fluid level. This is, by far, the thing I like least about this car.
    Big brother thinks he knows best. Seals will never ever leak, and u never have to drive your car through hight water.

Just a thought!

Cheers!
    Regards,

EC-Ryder

Post Thanks / Like

so let me get this straight,

to simplefy the steps. first just start car and run through gears then back to park and then remove rubber fill plug and the plug at the bottom of pan. keep fill fluid til it come out of hole at the bottom. then put both plugs back. thats it???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lsp408 View Post
    so let me get this straight,

to simplefy the steps. first just start car and run through gears then back to park and then remove rubber fill plug and the plug at the bottom of pan. keep fill fluid til it come out of hole at the bottom. then put both plugs back. thats it???
    Yea that's basically it except for the half hour or more you spend getting your car level on jack stands so you can get under it to do that if you don't happen to have a lift handy.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the fill plug on the top with the black plugs but the "drip" plug I am not finding?

Is the big main drain plug on the bottom of the pan also the plug that should drip when filled correctly?

Thanks,
    Robert
    2008 MGM G8 GT (795 of 888)
    MODS: HPTuner, Circle-D Stage I 3600 Stall Converter, Livernois Stage II non-DOD cam, ARH 1-3/4 LT's, Rotofab CAI, Powerbond 25% UDP, VMS HSRK, NGK TR-5IX, LC-1 WBO2, 18% tint
    Track: 12.090@114.88 1/4, 7.756@??? 1/8, 1.712 60'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g8_795 View Post
    I found the fill plug on the top with the black plugs but the "drip" plug I am not finding?

Is the big main drain plug on the bottom of the pan also the plug that should drip when filled correctly?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Yep. Basically back/center.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Thanks Tom.

So this make me wonder how you would drain all of the transmission fluid if you wanted to? Drop the pan?
    2008 MGM G8 GT (795 of 888)
    MODS: HPTuner, Circle-D Stage I 3600 Stall Converter, Livernois Stage II non-DOD cam, ARH 1-3/4 LT's, Rotofab CAI, Powerbond 25% UDP, VMS HSRK, NGK TR-5IX, LC-1 WBO2, 18% tint
    Track: 12.090@114.88 1/4, 7.756@??? 1/8, 1.712 60'

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g8_795 View Post
    Cool. Thanks Tom.

So this make me wonder how you would drain all of the transmission fluid if you wanted to? Drop the pan?
    Correct. Stupid design,but lets not get Tom started.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be easier to change the spark plugs than to check or fill the trans. WTF were those idiots thinking at GM?