Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: swapping my cam, any other advice or tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default swapping my cam, any other advice or tips

I just dropped my car off this morning to get my long tubes and converter installed and should be starting my cam swap probably on thurday. I have read over bobthemonkeys tutorial several times on g8board and it seems very straight forward. If anyone has any other tips for me i would appreciate it. I hope to have the car running again by sunday given if and when i can send the ecm out to vector. I went with vectors new cam 2.5 plus. Not sure on specs tho dan should be getting back to me on that.
    2009 G8 GT VMS stage 2.5 plus cam, Kooks LT 1 7/8, Yank 3600 stall, Roto-fab intake, Solo mach shorty unbalanced CB, Widened 19" sport wheels, Nitto invo's, Racestar Dragstars 17x9.5 with Nitto NT05r

2010 Chevy Aveo girls ride

1998 Dodge Neon daily beater

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. You're doing the cam swap but having someone else do the headers and stall?
    '08 G8 GT (IOM) - Rotofab, Kooks long tube headers, Kooks catted x-pipe, Livernois Tune

Post Thanks / Like

why not do the headers when you do the cam? are you doing a dod delete or just a cam swap ? if your doing the dod delete you gotta take the headers off to get the heads off
    2009 SBM G8 GT
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason i am having the headers done else where is because kooks doesnt mate up to solo catback and has to get cut and welded. Im not best welder and dont want to deal with it. So i figured while the exhaust is off they might as well throw in the stall for me. I got a really good rate so i figured what the hell. Yes its a dod delete kit. I will just unbolt the headers when i get the car back and pull the heads.
    2009 G8 GT VMS stage 2.5 plus cam, Kooks LT 1 7/8, Yank 3600 stall, Roto-fab intake, Solo mach shorty unbalanced CB, Widened 19" sport wheels, Nitto invo's, Racestar Dragstars 17x9.5 with Nitto NT05r

Post Thanks / Like

read everything in this thread http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=20099 it helped me alot. i just finished my cam and tc swap. but i chose to pull the engine to put the tc in. you would be surprised how easy this whole process is. just take your time, any bolt i took off i labelled in a baggy, take some pics to help once in a while. dont be afraid of all the electrical plugs and connectors, each one has its own home, you cant screw this up. be sure you have all your tools, parts and supplies before you start, parts store runs cost you alot of time. my .660 lift valve springs cost me 2 days, cause my shitty spring compressor was too crappy. i ended up getting an engine shop to put them on. i had the engine on a stand to work on it for the cam swap, made the oil pickup tube super easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blkg8gt View Post
    The only reason i am having the headers done else where is because kooks doesnt mate up to solo catback and has to get cut and welded. Im not best welder and dont want to deal with it. So i figured while the exhaust is off they might as well throw in the stall for me. I got a really good rate so i figured what the hell. Yes its a dod delete kit. I will just unbolt the headers when i get the car back and pull the heads.
    I thought about that after i got off the computer. I'm cutting the ends off the Kooks also and welding up a reg end on mine. damn paying that much for a mid section lol
    2009 SBM G8 GT
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

Post Thanks / Like

figured as much lol. thanks seeseven for that link that will help a lot. Im itching to get the car back. Hope they call me back soon.