Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Underdrive Pulley and installation in AZ or TX

Post Thanks / Like

Default Underdrive Pulley and installation in AZ or TX

So, I was having a trans and radiator flush done yesterday and noticed the balancer pulley on the crank was wobbling worse than a drunk hula girl. So, being that the car has 80k on it, it's a common issue with our G8's and I am getting ready to take a 25,000 ( not a misprint ) mile road trip this year with it, I figured I will replace the offending pulley with a Powerbond/SLP one (part #pbu1117-ss25) with new belts, bolt and such. I notice in reading posts that some do the front crank seal too. My questions are:

1. I think the part # is correct for a 2008 G8?
    2. Crank seal? Yes? No? A big deal to replace? I have done the job on other motors, just not this one.
    3. I will be in Phoenix, AZ and down in the Houston area in the next few weeks. Since I will be traveling and will have no tools, etc., does anyone have a recommendations for a reputable shop in either of those cities that can provide the pulley, other parts and do the install? If necessary, I can order the pulley, etc. to an address in Houston and have it installed at a shop there. I will also be in about 40 states this year, but prefer to get this done sooner than later.
    4. I know the car is still within 100k powertrain warranty, but no sense in replacing junk with junk.

Any help will be appreciated. FYI, last year I took my G8 on a 23,000 mile road trip across 40 states from May till December. Coast to coast and gulf to Canada. It ran flawlessly.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in the Houston area by all means pm GRRRR8. I would trust him with any vehicle I own.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get on the LS forums and look for a guy named NicD (actual screen name). He does a lot of work on GTO's, corvettes, etc. and works in the Phoenix area.
    2009.5 SBM G8 GT--More mods than I care to talk about...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great and I appreciate the tips. Thanks and I will look them both up.