Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: February VIR Videos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b_camaro View Post
    Looks like you had a real good time. You did seem to smooth it out a bit on your second video. Did you get a hot oil warning while running?
    Yeah, the second video felt smoother despite not being faster. Felt GOOD.

And no, I didn't, surprisingly enough. First time I went I kept it in 4th most of the time, since I wasn't so comfortable shifting. Oil got up to around 270. This time around, I was pushing the engine quite a bit harder, shifting between 3rd and 4th and even down to 2nd out of Oak Tree. Oil only got up to 253. I think that's due to two things. First, ambient temps were in the 50's all weekend, which was nice. Second, I put an SLP 160-degree thermostat in it that kept the coolant cooler, and the block with it. I think that helped keep oil temps down.

Quote Originally Posted by travis gore View Post
    that looked like so much fun!! I would love to do that sometime
    It was a TON of fun. I highly recommend doing one!
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b_camaro View Post
    Did you get a hot oil warning while running?
    My 2 cents on oil temp: What really causes the oil temp to go up is RPM. If you keep your average rev level down a bit, oil temps are okay. I got a dash-hawk so I can monitor oil temps while lapping. If it goes up, I just use 3rd gear a bit more, and they go down pretty quickly.
    White-hot G8 GXP...1c cam, NicD tune, Kooks mids, xpipe, Solo axback
    TVS 2300 added April 2015
    12.2@116 at Tucson Dragway, DA was 4000 !!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the G8 is not going to get any media coverage, I tried to compare your lap time and top speed to the data Car and Driver has from their continuing series of lightning laps at VIR. You know, to see how the G8 compares to the hot iron C&D is testing. I think we are well represented.

I can only make inferences (arm chair racing) as C&D uses the Grand West course which is 4.1 miles and you were running the shorter full course. So obviously lap times aren't comparable. But your 137 mph top speed is right up there, better than the new Charger, Challenger and Bimmers but under the MB/AMGs. But the full course has a longer back straight. Do you recall if you hit top speed before or after the the turn off to the west loop? If before, then top speeds can be compared. If not, then not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    I can only make inferences (arm chair racing) as C&D uses the Grand West course which is 4.1 miles and you were running the shorter full course. So obviously lap times aren't comparable. But your 137 mph top speed is right up there, better than the new Charger, Challenger and Bimmers but under the MB/AMGs. But the full course has a longer back straight. Do you recall if you hit top speed before or after the the turn off to the west loop? If before, then top speeds can be compared. If not, then not.
    No, they can't be compared. My steering got rather light at 137, so that was all I had the nerve to stay in it for. I might ought to consider the Bohnmann front splitter, if it would help with front aero But a friend who was there in his 2008 M3 hit over 140 on the back straight. I think he may have even hit 150.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a blast! My two favorite parts, every lap, was the landscape rushing by on the long straight and that overhanging tree in the tight corner. The tree looks cool and the straight looks fast

What was that out in front of you in the first video - was it the MINI that started just before you? That thing is quick!
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I12XLR8 View Post
    That looks like a blast! My two favorite parts, every lap, was the landscape rushing by on the long straight and that overhanging tree in the tight corner. The tree looks cool and the straight looks fast

What was that out in front of you in the first video - was it the MINI that started just before you? That thing is quick!
    VIR is known for that turn, fittingly called Oak Tree Turn.

And yup, that was a coworker/friend in his Mini. I could reel him in on the straights, easy, but that little thing will dart through the corners!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice videos! I'm going back in June with the NCM. Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the NCM still has some novice spots open for the last Mon/Tue of June if anyone is interested in going then.