Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 10w30 safe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10w30 safe?

Think it's safe to use 10w30 in these engines? I drive about 50,000 miles a year for work and most is highway. Don't care about the slight reduction in fuel economy.

Post Thanks / Like

I went back to 5w30 after using 10w30 mobile 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    I went back to 5w30 after using 10w30 mobile 1.

Just seems like a 5 weight would be so thin to me. I feel like GM just did it for fuel economy and not engine longevity?

Post Thanks / Like

Its cold in Indy... I'd go 5 in Winter at least.

Post Thanks / Like

10 is fine for summer then use 5 in the winter to make it easier for engine starts.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 0w40 all year and have had no issues for 20k plus miles. I don't drive much in winter but it does see a few starts and trips below 30

2008 White Hot G8 GT

(new)499RWHP/474RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    (old)451RWHP / 498RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    1/4=11.400@118.7 17" Drag Radials, stall, cam 1.77 60'
    1/4=12.004@120.6 17" Drag Radials 2.03 60'
    1/4=12.270 @118.3 on 18" All Seasons 2.08 60'
    SLOWHAWK Tuned

If you can't say anything intelligent, say something loud and stupid
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

It is not going to provide any more protection for the engine, so why make your mileage intentionally worse.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

Post Thanks / Like

I'm smart enough to know that there are people that are WAY more intelligent than I am. A lot of them. Probably ALL of the petroleum engineers and fluid dynamicists. If they tell me that I should use 5w30 then that's what I'm gonna' do.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreatG8 View Post
    ... Don't care about the slight reduction in fuel economy...
    In theory, 5W30 and 10W30 should yield the same gas mileage because they have the same viscosity (30) when the engine is warm. The 5W might be easier on the battery and starter during very cold starts while the 10W might do a better job coating engine parts during starts. The 5W probably has a larger percentage of additives mixed in with the oil. I superstitiously use synthetic oil because I believe it lasts longer and it feels more slippery (when trying to tighten oil filters).
    2009 G8 GT, premium, sport, sport red metallic
    Roto-Fab CAI
    MagnaFlow 16887 Street Series cat-back
    Superchips Cortex: RotoFab 91 Octane, 25% TM, AFM off
    and splash guards (that look better than dirt)

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

10W30 is fine as long as you are using it in the specified temperature range. But I recommend 0w30 or 0w40, personally. German Castrol (Castrol Syntec 0w30 European Formula) is good stuff. Pennzoil has 0w30 and 0w40 as European formula as well, and so do some other companies. European oil formulas are usually more about engine life, whereas US (and Japanese?) oil formulas are usually more about gas mileage, hence why they often use silly ratings like 5w20.

P.S. Mobil 1 5w30 isn't that great. It's not 'crappy' but if you want M1, I'd go with their 0w40. 0w oils have a Group IV base instead of the cheap Group III that Mobil 1 (and some others) use for their non-0w oils. If you want to run 5w30, I'd recommend Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Syntec and Castrol Edge all above M1. While I can't provide hard evidence of this very easily, I will note that I've done a lot of reading at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php which is a great forum for oil-related information.
    Last edited by dandragonrage; 02-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.