Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOD Vibration

Post Thanks / Like

Default DOD Vibration

Hi everyone.

Is everyone experiencing a vibration when the AFM is active?
    Even my wife complained about it (and she was a passenger).

I am a bit concerned that mine may be worse than others.

2009 G8GT SR
    Black Panther

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Describe, speed rpm etc.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

The vibration with AFM can be felt. More so at slower speeds for me. If you have concerns, talk to your dealer.
    I preferred the vibration prior to installing exhaust, that way I knew it was active.

Post Thanks / Like

I placed the console in diag mode so that I can see when the AFM say FULL or HALF.
    Everytime it switches to HALF I feel the vibration.
    Appears to be worse on lower speeds. RPM is allways below 2K.
    Kind of sounds like a manual running too low an RMPM for gear.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that if I do M4-M5 It still goes into AFM, but the vibration stops and mpgs are not effected.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I never tried that, will check that out next time I'm out and about.
    When you say mpgs are not effected, do you mean there is no saving or AFM saving still works.

BTW, I must congradulate you for putting up this forum. I am very optimistic about it's success.

Post Thanks / Like

I have over 6K on my G8. I think it has gotten a bit more noticeable, but I have also installed Magnaflows, and have a CAI and have taken the insulation off the intake manifold per Charlie's mod. H-pipe seemed to help. NO drone in 8 cyl mode and very little in 4 cyl mode. The noise/vibration is due in part to the one step lower octave of the 4 cyl. mode. The same thing happens on big V8 boats with side exhaust. If you only hear one side (4 cyl), it sounds wierd.

I have pointed to my wife. She has less of a problem with it than me. Says it's just like all the other performance exhausts we have had. Worst was a Suburban with loud Magnaflows. Third seat passengers damn near passed out from the noise, but those of us in front thought it was kool.

Try and think of it as saving you $$$$$$ and maybe it won't be so bothersome.

RRM
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely have strange vibrations which causes all kind of rattles. I hate the way AFM sounds through Magnaflows too. My first order of business when I get the dough for HP Tuners is to shut that off. I'd much rather pay for fuel then have to listen to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Just manually keep the thing above 2500RPM!!!

Works every time I try it!

RRM
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8Smitty View Post
    I definitely have strange vibrations which causes all kind of rattles. I hate the way AFM sounds through Magnaflows too. My first order of business when I get the dough for HP Tuners is to shut that off. I'd much rather pay for fuel then have to listen to that.
    I know it sounds like ass, but it helps me to keep it in AFM. That's important to me considering how many miles I have to drive.
    I haven't heard it yet with the headers on though.