Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Moderators

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for Moderators

I have a philosophical question for the Moderators concerning Product Reviews.

"Should Vendor be permitted to respond to product review posts (other than to correct errors of fact)?

If someone takes the time to post a review, they are relaying their experience with the particular product. Whether that experience is good or bad, it is the experience that they had.

If vendors are allowed to respond to these reviews, I am afraid that it will degenerate to a worthless series of back and forth arguments. And that may prevent potential reviewers from posting anything.

Let me show you a concrete example - I reviewed of the billet specialty catch can.

(Even though this post references billetspecialties.com, they are not the subject of this post)

A part of my review, I said I thought the anodyzing was uneven.

The vendor responded in a post and said that since the product is dipped that was not possible.

Did he just call me a liar?

Is he trying to tell me that I did not see what I saw?

I am obviously not going to respond to his post since that could start a useless disagreement that could last forever. And I stand by my review.

If on the other hand, if I had made a factual error in my review, I would expect it to be corrected.

One of my peeves with that *other* board is the 'special dispensation' that seems to be afforded vendors on the site. Is this board going to permit product reviews that are not 100% positive? And should a vendor have the ability to "review the review", so to speak?

I realize that this is a difficult question. (That is why I'm letting youse guys decide )

If reviewers can post reviews without fear of being ("attacked" is probably too strong a word) by the vendor, you will probably get more honest product reviews.

There are other areas of the board where disagreements are expected and, it seems, even encouraged

And, hey, we will all probably get better products if the vendors will correct the perceived flaws in the product as a result of an honest review.

Discussion?

Thanks,
    2008 MGM G8 GT - #615 of 888 - Premium/Sport - 12.6 @ 111 on stock tires

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

Great Lakes Moderator BlueJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomPierce View Post
    I have a philosophical question for the Moderators concerning Product Reviews.

"Should Vendor be permitted to respond to product review posts (other than to correct errors of fact)?

If someone takes the time to post a review, they are relaying their experience with the particular product. Whether that experience is good or bad, it is the experience that they had.

If vendors are allowed to respond to these reviews, I am afraid that it will degenerate to a worthless series of back and forth arguments. And that may prevent potential reviewers from posting anything.

Let me show you a concrete example - I reviewed of the billet specialty catch can.

(Even though this post references billetspecialties.com, they are not the subject of this post)

A part of my review, I said I thought the anodyzing was uneven.

The vendor responded in a post and said that since the product is dipped that was not possible.

Did he just call me a liar?

Is he trying to tell me that I did not see what I saw?

I am obviously not going to respond to his post since that could start a useless disagreement that could last forever. And I stand by my review.

If on the other hand, if I had made a factual error in my review, I would expect it to be corrected.

One of my peeves with that *other* board is the 'special dispensation' that seems to be afforded vendors on the site. Is this board going to permit product reviews that are not 100% positive? And should a vendor have the ability to "review the review", so to speak?

I realize that this is a difficult question. (That is why I'm letting youse guys decide )

If reviewers can post reviews without fear of being ("attacked" is probably too strong a word) by the vendor, you will probably get more honest product reviews.

There are other areas of the board where disagreements are expected and, it seems, even encouraged

And, hey, we will all probably get better products if the vendors will correct the perceived flaws in the product as a result of an honest review.

Discussion?

Thanks,
    Here is the quote:
    The anodize. Anodize does not miss any spots, as it is dipped and completely covered. Obviously under enough light you can see slight variances, but so is the nature with a part that has so much identical surface area. That is a completely outsourced part of the process tho, and as I try to have as much control in everything that goes into the production, sometimes there are just some things you can't completely control.
    I do not see where he said is was not possible for the anodize color to be off some. Looks to me like he gave you an honest answer.

2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT
    2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

Post Thanks / Like

I think he did a good job of explaining why you may see what you see.

I see no real issues with a vendor speaking up. I myself will normally believe the reviewer before the person selling or making the product.

I wouldn't have taken that as him calling you a liar.

JMO.

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4GASEM View Post
    I think he did a good job of explaining why you may see what you see.

I see no real issues with a vendor speaking up. I myself will normally believe the reviewer before the person selling or making the product.

I wouldn't have taken that as him calling you a liar.

JMO.

Chris
    That is correct, I was not calling him a liar. He said the anodize miss a few spots. By the process of anodize, it just does not MISS a few spots, and by saying that, he is suggesting to my customers that there are parts of the can that have no anodize " ie, exposed raw aluminum". That is not the case, and while a review does not have to be 100% positive, it does have to be factual, and I was only correcting the terminology that he was used. The anodize coats the entire can, and just has different shades to it sometimes, that's. As he stated, if his review had factual errors, he'd want to be corrected. Who else can correct a factual error other then the manufacturer? The way that comment can be perceived can hurt my business, so I wasn't just going to sit by. I wasn't sure if it was allowed, but I saw no rules stating otherwise, so I went for it. The fact that I responded nicely to

WFT? One hose clamp? Try as I might I couldn't get that one clamp to go around all 4 hose connections. Maybe it's just me.
    should show that I'm not trying to attack anyone and I don't feel that what I posted would in anyway scare off anyone from posting a review. I even said that it is welcome, and wanted, so that I can more accurately gauge my product. I'm also not a vendor on here yet and you ARE letting him post his thread, so I don't see what's wrong. If I've said anything wrong, or anything that you feel would hurt my credibility on here, then please delete it. I've hoped to start and continue a good relationship on this board, and I hope that is still the case.
    Last edited by jamesbiz; 01-11-2009 at 09:21 AM.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a review is a review which means that this is the customers opinion. However, I have seen 1000s of reviews when sometimes the wording can be misleading to other potential buyers. By no means is it done intentionally, its just how it comes across while reading. I do think if there is a concern by the purchaser, that the vendor or manufacturer can make a comment simply to make the purchased aware of how something works or is made and to also enlighten the vendor/manufacturer of a potential concern with said product so they can inspect for said issues to make sure there product is/does what it supposed to.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is good to allow some interaction in a review. If a product could be improved because of the review or if potential error could be corrected I think it is good to have a vendor come in and interact.

I haven't seen a picture of the area you had mentioned. I think a good feedback was given by jamesbiz about your concerns. It shows that he does care and is interested in how his business and products is received by the customer.

Post Thanks / Like

In this particular case, he can respond to your critical comments. He was looking for constuctive comments. Even if you were a little harsh with your comments, I don't see an issue with his response.
    People are from all parts of the country, and there are regional differences in how we speak. I myself would not have used WTF! when reviewing a product.

BTW, in the anodizing process two wires or contacts are required to get the electricity to flow. It's at these two points where anodize can be weak. Even aircraft parts have this issue.
    GMFan knows about this.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    In this particular case, he can respond to your critical comments. He was looking for constuctive comments. Even if you were a little harsh with your comments, I don't see an issue with his response.
    People are from all parts of the country, and there are regional differences in how we speak. I myself would not have used WTF! when reviewing a product.

BTW, in the anodizing process two wires or contacts are required to get the electricity to flow. It's at these two points where anodize can be weak. Even aircraft parts have this issue.
    GMFan knows about this.
    That is correct which is why the contact points are on this insides of the cans.

Post Thanks / Like

Please...it is anodization. Anodize is a verb, not a noun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtbDoc View Post
    Please...it is anodization. Anodize is a verb, not a noun.
    Ok, now you can go correct the other 34,093 posts.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.