Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comp Cam's Trunnion upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comp Cam's Trunnion upgrade

I received my parts today from Greg. I plan on doing a rather technical review of the parts that came as a kit.
    I have read a few forums where some had indicated some tight bearings. I did a quick inspection of the trunions and the bearings.
    The trunion bearing surface diameter was approx .0004" difference in size over the 16 pieces. The bearing case was closer at approx .0012" difference.
    I also checked the center hole location to see how close it was too center. The farthest piece was .008" off center.
    The biggest difference was the spot face for the bolt. I had one that was .014" deeper that the next deepest one.
    Monday, I'm going to take a couple to my customers and see how round the bearing surface is. When I was using the micrometer to measure the diameter I can tell some had quite a bit of ovality.
    When I put my kit together, I'll be doing a selective fit, to make sure all pieces have as close to the same press as possible.
    I also noticed that one piece has a small nick. The packaging for this kit could be much better.

I'll get some pics up this weekend. I also bought a 1 ton arbor press for the job.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 01-17-2012 at 03:19 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

In for updates.
    09.5 Maverick Silver G8 GXP, Onyx, M6, Roof

420rwhp/430rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on doing this when I do my cam install. So I take it you are going to match the diameter of the trunion to the opening of each rocker.
    Look forward to your wrtie up.
    2008 MGM GT. Patrick G spec'd 222/226 .597”/.605” 115LSA +3 cam, Ported TB, Ported Manifold, 25% PB UDP, 180* Tstat, Vararam w/HSRK, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, X w/cats and muffs, GXP Diffuser, B Splitter, 6000K HID's, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side,Rear Markers and Tails, 15% Window Tint, Blackedout Chrome, Ghost Stripes, G2 Red Calipers

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed these on my car a couple weeks ago during the cam upgrade. Quality pieces. Takes a little practice to get all 32 of the end clips on without dropping/flinging them all over the place.

Few pictures about 1/2 way down: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=29371
    Last edited by BloKKem; 01-11-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    2008 GT - 97000 miles and counting
    VMS 1.5 cam / CNC ported LS3 heads / LS7 lifters / Rotofab CF CAI / SLP LT Headers / Corsa / VMS Tune
    Maverick Man CF hood / 20" Breyton GTS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vert View Post
    I plan on doing this when I do my cam install. So I take it you are going to match the diameter of the trunion to the opening of each rocker.
    Look forward to your write up.
    Yes. I did a press fit study years ago and should get these matched up pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by BloKKem View Post
    I just installed these on my car a couple weeks ago during the cam upgrade. Quality pieces. Takes a little practice to get all 32 of the end clips on without dropping/flinging them all over the place.

Few pictures about 1/2 way down: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=29371
    Yep, looked at your thread. I'll be looking more closely at the metrology side of things.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 01-11-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I installed mine when I put it back together. Better then stock...yes. Will they be on my new motor...no.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be totally honest here; I know a lot of people believe in these but I researched this when I did my cam and the best conclusion I came up with is that these are more about marketing than real need. I did not install them.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I kind of agree Tom. If I hadn't seen 2 LS motors destroyed at 500+ HP I would agree 100%. I will use HS or Jesel for the new motor. I need every HP to keep up with you power adder guys.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also surprised more people don't just use new roller rockers....maybe because it costs more.....
    -Chad

VCM intake, Kooks 1 7/8 LTH, Kooks cat and mid-pipes, Hooker Maxflo muff,
    223/231 .625 .622 RCR Cam, RCR heads, intake and TB, .
    BMR swaybars, Koni shocks, Eibachs, Lovells strut bushes, BMR rear LCA, rear cradle inserts.
    Camaro Brembo's F & R, V701 rims 255f/285r 11.77 @ 118 on street tires

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Yep, looked at your thread. I'll be looking more closely at the metrology side of things.
    When you do all your measurements, I would be really curious to know how "OEM spec" they truly are. Even if it's minute, I will be very interested. We've been having discussions over here about the size of push rods in relation to this trunnion kit and whether there is a change in length required. I know what everyone says "Oh, they're the same", but the math behind it will be nice to see.
    2008 GT - 97000 miles and counting
    VMS 1.5 cam / CNC ported LS3 heads / LS7 lifters / Rotofab CF CAI / SLP LT Headers / Corsa / VMS Tune
    Maverick Man CF hood / 20" Breyton GTS