Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Cooler Parts Ordered!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transmission Cooler Parts Ordered!

Updated insight: Updates/Thoughts here

Here is what I ordered today... should be a blast!

B&M 70273 15,000btu Stacked Plate Cooler 11"x5.75"x1.5"
    -6an hose ends
    3/8npt to -6an for cooler
    10ft stainless hose -6an
    Assembly Lube, Thread Sealant

Am going to grab the line at the quick disconnect at front of the block or at the bottom of the radiator. Hopefully it all comes together, making the investment of better hose, ends, and cooler worth it!

Think I'll need about a quart of extra fluid?
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 09-08-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

how much did it all cost?

what is the advantage of doing it this way rather than buying the oem GXP transmission cooler kit from pace? is it just total BTU?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lvgmman View Post
    how much did it all cost?

what is the advantage of doing it this way rather than buying the oem GXP transmission cooler kit from pace? is it just total BTU?
    More BTU, personal learning experience, quality fittings and look. Mostly just cause I love to learn new things and figured I could put together a kit for the same or less money that performed better.

About 175 total, all fittings, stainless hoses, etc. Can't wait to install it.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that seems like a small cooler. Any reason why you chose the smaller one? I normally use the 70266

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XplicitPerformance View Post
    that seems like a small cooler. Any reason why you chose the smaller one? I normally use the 70266
    The other side will have the Maggie heat exchanger in front of it, plus im stock stall. (I realize 70266 is only 1.25 in wider) 15000btu should be plenty for this trans and my mods, including the Maggie. Plus, I just like to be different.
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 12-22-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

Got the cooler in... mounted it below the bumper... those that have done it, has anyone done it that way? The top two mounting holes are bolted to the front of the bumper plate, the bottom holes sit just above the plastic pan at the bottom of the radiator.
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

Lets see some pics, this is on my list to do.
    Atmospheric Acquisition

Sydney - 2009 G8 GT - Liquid Red, Onyx/Red interior, Flat Black Rally Stripes
    Performance: Tuned By Me Using HP Tuners, TMS Forged 402, Ported LSA Supercharger 2.5/9.5, AIS Dual Nozzle Water/Methanol Kit, Super Chiller, ID850 Injectors, Rick C. Blower Cam, Morel Lifters, Comp Trunion Upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust w/ 3.5" tips, CTS-V Torque Converter, Camaro 3.45 Diff, 6 Piston Front/4 Piston Rear Brembo Brakes, ZL1 Fuel Pump/BAP, Saikou Michi Dual Catch Cans, Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links, BMR Cradle & Diff Bushings, Derale Trans Cooler, SJM Line Lock.

Pictures

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

So how did you end up routing the lines?

When i did mine one lines runs to the line in front of the motor/drivers side one. and the other connection goes into the drivers side of the radiator.

2009 G8 Procharged/Cammed 10.55@134.3 1.60 -SOLD
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cam only 10.62@126.7 1.44'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    So how did you end up routing the lines?

When i did mine one lines runs to the line in front of the motor/drivers side one. and the other connection goes into the drivers side of the radiator.
    Did you use the radiator as a pre-cooler? Do you know all the part numbers for the fitting you used to adapt the trans lines and radiator port to AN?
    Atmospheric Acquisition

Sydney - 2009 G8 GT - Liquid Red, Onyx/Red interior, Flat Black Rally Stripes
    Performance: Tuned By Me Using HP Tuners, TMS Forged 402, Ported LSA Supercharger 2.5/9.5, AIS Dual Nozzle Water/Methanol Kit, Super Chiller, ID850 Injectors, Rick C. Blower Cam, Morel Lifters, Comp Trunion Upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust w/ 3.5" tips, CTS-V Torque Converter, Camaro 3.45 Diff, 6 Piston Front/4 Piston Rear Brembo Brakes, ZL1 Fuel Pump/BAP, Saikou Michi Dual Catch Cans, Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links, BMR Cradle & Diff Bushings, Derale Trans Cooler, SJM Line Lock.

Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Pics...

uploadfromtaptalk1328538557815.jpg
    Used split fuel hose zip tied at 4" increments to secure and hide the ss hoses behind the kidney.

uploadfromtaptalk1328538585168.jpg
    Hoses protected with split loom and tape, ran through factory holes in bumper.

uploadfromtaptalk1328538601761.jpg
    Lines ran, protected along same path as heat exchanger lines, passenger side of radiator.

uploadfromtaptalk1328538617976.jpg
    Lines connected...

The only thing I don't like about it is that its not in any direct airflow besides probably the bottom left corner through the lower grill. I hate to say it, but if I was going to do it again, because of the Maggie heat exchanger and needing to keep the washer reservoir, I probably mount it above the crash bar inline with the kidneys and call it a day.
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 08-13-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

11. Likes jhardy06 liked this post