Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goodyear Eagle GT A/S tires

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BMan View Post
    I bought the 245/40/ZR19s about 2 weeks ago. I think they are a pretty good tire all around with one fairly significant exception: they are a very loud tire. So much so I'd say if I was going to run around with them year round, I probably would just step up and buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tire.

FWIW, I bought mine for about $203/tire via tires direct.
    Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I was debating between these two. What's your take on the Yokahama Advan S.4? As of now, it's between either the Michelin's or the Yoko's.
    Intake, Exhaust, Cam, & Tuned @Livernois Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Now that some are getting ready for replacement tires or even new wheels, how about a sticky on "favorite tires" to put on our G8's, with explanations (see below).

Can a moderator please step in to handle this; I'm sure the subject of "tire replacement" has a lot of interest to everyone. Getting feedback from forum members as to the following categories would be really informative as web sites such as Tire Rack & Discount Tire Direct can only give you so much information regarding our particular car, the Pontiac G8 GT. Thanks.
    1. wear
    2. smoothness
    3. noise
    4. wet handling
    5. dry handling
    6. steering response
    7. cost
    8. braking (wet & dry)
    Intake, Exhaust, Cam, & Tuned @Livernois Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbradsh1 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I was debating between these two. What's your take on the Yokahama Advan S.4? As of now, it's between either the Michelin's or the Yoko's.
    Sorry - I'm not familiar with the Yoko's although I didn't think they made any A/S tire in 245/40ZR19s.
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT (white)
    stock dynojet: 300rwhp / 315 rwtq corrected to SAE
    PM of FL's Muffler Delete Axle-back

Post Thanks / Like

Son has General UHP's on GTO. Has driven in snow past two seasons. TireRack doesn't recommend them for snow however.

Michelin 19" A/S now have a 500 treadwear life. Cost around $300.!

Eventually we will need tires for holiday trips north in winter. Agree the new Goodyear's are the best bang for the buck.
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Bman evidently your 19" Eagle GT's are noisier than the 18's I have, SSD says his 18's are pretty quiet too. Makes me glad I have the 18" wheels!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Michelin Pilots, but not on the G8, and yes they are loud. I hear a lot of gripes about the Bridgestone RE050 OEM tires, but I like them. They are very predictable in a wide variety of conditions. I prefer that, over absolute performance. They will let you know when things are about to get out of hand. Fair enough.

They work much better at the drag strip if you smoke em up before the run. A 19" low profile tire id not an optimal drag tire, no matter who makes it... It just won't "wrinkle" for bite.

All season tires are not needed here, summer tires work good year round.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going Nitto 555 255/35/19's next. Hoping for some traction
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Potenza's on bare pavement as well, but they aren't worth a darn to us northerners when the roads have snow on them. I feel the Eagle GT's hookup and handle just as good as them on dry pavement, and they are superior to them on wet pavement.

Shawn the Nitto 555's are good tires, a lot of guys run them on their Grand Prix's and they really like them. The BF Goodrich Super Sports are also good tires, but I don't know if they come in that size.

Post Thanks / Like

Between Michelin and Yoko, I'd go with Michelin. Truth be told, If I could have afforded it, I would have Michelins right now. But I am very satisfied, so no remorse!
    2009 G8GT: Panther Black with Premium, Sport and Sunroof. Hemi not required.

"There is no replacement for displacement!"