Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Either bad battery or dying alternator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Either bad battery or dying alternator

So I've noticed starting at the beginning of the week my battery charge has been getting weaker and weaker. The Alternator has kicked up to 15 volts charging and the battery has gone down to 64.7% charged and just staying there. I've put it on the charger for several hours, I let it run for an hour at idle and the battery charge has not gotten better but stays the same. Battery is a brand new Interstate MTP-94R/H7 with 765 CCA over the AC Delco 640 that was in it causing the car to struggle with the electronics hard core. I've made sure the terminals are good and tight with no play but not over doing it, I shut everything down on the car before I shut it off so radio or HVAC doesn't come on unless I use the remote start. I've noticed when I fire up the engine it drops to 11 volts and then slowly works up to 14 very slowly. I may run the load tester on it at work tomorrow after hours to see what it says. Any suggestions? I have a feeling the dealership is just going to love me.

Post Thanks / Like

You got a bunch of extra electronic stuff running? Sounds like battery but if its new that's less likely (not impossible though).

Post Thanks / Like

If the battery is new take it back for a new one. Interstate should take it back?
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be testing to see if its the battery tomorrow after work at the shop. No I don't run anything other than the radio and the fan since its cold the A/C stays off. Most of the time Its my Aux input for my Zune I'm running since I listen to audio books so no loud music or anything of that matter. I have disabled daytime running lights on it. An interstate battery failing like that bothers me.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I had a UDP installed two years ago, dealer installed new alternator @ 12K no questions asked in August 2011, had similar problem. Problem solved

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman330 View Post
    I'll be testing to see if its the battery tomorrow after work at the shop. No I don't run anything other than the radio and the fan since its cold the A/C stays off. Most of the time Its my Aux input for my Zune I'm running since I listen to audio books so no loud music or anything of that matter. I have disabled daytime running lights on it. An interstate battery failing like that bothers me.
    Make sure they/you load test the battery not just check voltage. Btw-I also am an audio book fan

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well an interesting turn on the car. Ran the remote start to warm it up and when i left alternator was charging norm 14.5 volts. Got out to work didnt hear the alter singing or anything. Checked the charge battery was 84.5% percent charged. Now how the hell would it charge like that running ten minutes when ran it for an hour with no damn charge yesterday.
    Last edited by Birdman330; 10-30-2011 at 10:46 AM.