Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Build thread for rebuilding the 6L80

Post Thanks / Like

Cool ive done a few now the tuning school is where i got the info from. got to go run a 911 call be back soon.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1baddbird View Post
    Cool ive done a few now the tuning school is where i got the info from. got to go run a 911 call be back soon.
    My vote for the strangest post ever...
    2008 GT - 2300 Maggie, Comp cam, ARH LTs, staggered Breyton GTS, 6spd Manual conversion DONE!!.
    From previous owner: 552 RWHP, 589 RWTQ; Tuned by Patrick G via EFI live Autocal

Post Thanks / Like

They have a lot of good info on how to set shift times and delete torque manaement. they are awesome at that stuff. Ive done a few G8s on here. Going to do a 10 camaro this week

Post Thanks / Like

Im a fire man Driver engineer medic cars are a side gig now.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

he tunes my car. car is great.
    awesome task u have chose.to take here. definately need some videos when.its all done
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

Post Thanks / Like

Bravo for jumping in and tearing down your own trans. I rebuilt a turbo 400 years ago. It had a fraction of the parts you are dealing with. If you need a link for just the 1-4 clutches just PM me.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to ship the pressure plates off tomorrow. I wanted to take another day and hear back from Century and make sure I was measuring stuff right.
    2008 GT - 2300 Maggie, Comp cam, ARH LTs, staggered Breyton GTS, 6spd Manual conversion DONE!!.
    From previous owner: 552 RWHP, 589 RWTQ; Tuned by Patrick G via EFI live Autocal

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job tackling this project yourself. I signed up for this site just so I could see the pics. I just had the 6l80 in my STS-V rebuilt with the upgraded clutches a month ago and all of a sudden last Friday it seems like the 3-5-r clutches are partially applied. I took the valve body off last night and everything in there is fine, no binding. With that removed I could see the drums and clutch plates. All clutch sets moved easily and had some clearance except the 3-5-r clutches. I could only see two clutches but it was enough to get a pick in there and determine that there was no clearance. I pried them apart with a screwdriver and they sprung back together.

I don't know what happened. I did a pretty decent burnout when I got to work on Friday and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. The car makes a lot more power than stock too. I swapped the blower for a billet 67mm turbo and it makes about 520-530rwhp in street trim. It dynoed at 502rwhp with 3 less pounds of boost.

I'm going to drop the trans tonight and check into it. Hopefully I don't have to get into it as far as Posidon.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and thanks! However, it isn't back in the car yet, so I am going to hold off on my enthusiasm.

My builder instructed me to take the 'wave plate' off the 3-5-R clutch pack AND I have to machine the pressure plate to get the 0.085-0.095 clearance required. I can't wait to get it back together, but it is going to be a while

If enough of you are interested in trying this sort of thing yourself, I might be willing to let forum members borrow the specialized tools. We would have to work out the details and all, but I would love to see some more people digging into this. Might get Century to kick in a forum discount on the rebuild kit

Post Thanks / Like

I figured out what is causing my problem. All the 3-5-R clutches with the tabs facing inwards are cone shaped. The ones with the tabs out are fine. I don't know why at this point. My 3-5-R clutch pack did not have the wave plate in it. It was sitting right on the spacer deal. I think the trans was assembled properly the first time and I'm either making too much power (doubtful) or the 2-3 shift is hitting too hard? I can't see that really because the tires just spin on the 1-2 and 2-3 and even the 3-4 on the dyno.