Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Engine Ticking Noise

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is awesome. I plan on doing a DOD delete and new cam, but not for at least a year or so. I'm just worried about my lifters until then. Now thanks to this thread, I know what sound to start looking out for.

To the OP, it's awesome that you got a new engine with a new warranty. With the kind of miles you put on your car, the warranty may come into use. Even more awesome that you got a new engine with less than 2k left on your warranty.
    09 G8 GT: LR-Sport/Premium/Roof
    Rotofab CAI, SC Cortex, x-pipe, Solo Axle-back
    GXP Struts/Shocks, H&R Springs, CTS-V Calipers all around. BMR Sways waiting for install
    LED Tails-Smoked Chrome, 6k HIDs, Clear Corners, Sharkfin Antenna.
    Camaro 20s 245/275
    TSW Nurburgrings 20s 255/285

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got my car back after new lifters and a cam. They effed up my radiator cover and let me find it when I gave the car a good look over before pulling out of the lot. I swear if my buddy who is a salesman there hadn't got me a deal on a set of polished Camaor 20's for $450 (500 miles on them) I wouldn't mess with these jokers.

Now I have an odd noise that almost sounds like a vacuum leak but the car runs fine. Any ideas?
    2009 Stryker Blue G8 GT
    Mods Completed So Far:
    Custom Painted Engine Cover - Auto Dimming Mirror
    Pypes Axel-Back Exhaust - DDM 55W 6000K HID's
    VLED Backup LED's - Holden V8 Badges - Stubby Antenna
    Homelink Opener in Visor - Vararam OTR Intake - TSS Atari Plaque
    UPR Catch Can - GXP Diffuser - JettStream HSRK & Vararam Coupler

Contact me via PM if you are interested in a Homelink Visor!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the wife's car back after about a week. They ended up replacing the radiator also, as it got damaged. All covered! One more thing to check if you've had this cam replacement done - Last weekend, we went on a drive to visit our daughter in Medford, and going over the passes, I started to notice a little slack and a slight clunk on right turns. Really slight. My wife said she noticed it too, but thought maybe it had been there before, but never noticed it until after she had driven the new luxury loaners. (loaded '13 Tahoe, and a Fancy '13 Lacrosse). I attempted to look for myself, but couldn't get in any position to see everything, so we stopped at a Les Schwab and they put it on the rack, found the bolt for the clamp at the steering column shaft,rack and pinion joint was loose. They tightened it up and solved the problem. Going to take it to the dealers to have them check out the splines and do a more thorough inspection. Called them while the car was on the rack and they said they would cover any costs. No charge by Les S.,even when I told them I would be reimbursed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    Well it has been one long day and I finally got home with a free loaner car a Chevy Traverse 4 banger.
    It was hard to see them open the engine and then see the lifter that is so messed up. The tech could see down onto the cam and he could see some big scaring also. He was lucky to find a new cam and lifter and bolts and looks like the parts will be there they said tomorrow.

No check engine light the car was running great but it was having some heart burn deep inside, lol

I think I made the right decision to leave it instead of driving it home 305 miles and yes I said 300 miles in my other posts, lol. I called my local service writer at the chevy store to let him know what was going on and he is going to make sure everything is done right and take care of anything after the fact for me.

Since I know you all know I am a fuel mileage person, I filled up the loaner and filled it up when I got back home and drove it the same 74 mph and it got 21.19 mpg. That sucks, and mine would of got 25-26 mpg. You tell me what your would drive, a car that makes 400 HP and can go 150+ mph or the Traverse that can't even get out of its own way. Case closed!

Hers more pictures I took of the Black Rat being torn apart,

Thanks for all the help from you all yesterday. What a great group of car nuts we have on here to help eachother out in our time of need.

Glad you found the culprit and are having it taken care of. Dealing with engine issues is a pain in the ass! Atleast you didn't have to swap out a whole engine lol.
    2008 White Hot G8 GT - SOLD
    Power: 430 LS3, Vararam, ARH 1 7/8 LTs w/ Magnaflow Axleback, Patrick G. Tune
    Looks: 6000k HIDs, 19" Sport wheels
    Suspension: BMR Rear Trailing Arms, Subframe Bushings, and Toe Rods, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, H&R Sport Springs
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UGotSmkd View Post
    Glad you found the culprit and are having it taken care of. Dealing with engine issues is a pain in the ass! Atleast you didn't have to swap out a whole engine lol.
    I guess you didn't read the rest of the thread where he did have to get a whole new engine.
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    I guess you didn't read the rest of the thread where he did have to get a whole new engine.
    I guess I did miss that.
    Suspension: BMR Rear Trailing Arms, Subframe Bushings, and Toe Rods, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, H&R Sport Springs
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I did miss that.
    Oh that's great. Super ironic.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Oh that's great. Super ironic.
    Huh?
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

Huh?
    Nothing personal, just joking about the "well at least you didn't have to swap engines." Its funny, and ironic, because he did.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Nothing personal, just joking about the "well at least you didn't have to swap engines." Its funny, and ironic, because he did.
    Lol. I didn't take it personal. I just didn't read all 23 pages, so I had no idea he replaced it.
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i