Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Ticking Noise

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get a chance to watch your vid yet but it does sound like the same lifter failure that we had in our old Saab 9-7x with the 5.3 that had d.o.d. we actually had no choice but to drive 40 miles with it making noise since we were out of town. Is your check engine light blinking? When ours started doing that I found out that it usually means something is really messed up

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Culprit found. No 6 cylinder apparently. Lifters and cam badly scored.

Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Its a known issue. Should be warrantied no problem.

2012 G8 GONE Bracket Champ!

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT-VMS stage 1.5 cam & Pat G tune, Kooks 1 3/4" LTs w/cats to Corsa catback, VCM intake. 427RWHP, 401RWTQ
    Eibach springs, FE3, BMR Sways, links & toe rods
    Audison Bit-One, JL Audio-500/5, 500/1, ZR800, 10w3v3(x2), Boston Z6, JHP Triple gauges
    TSW Indy 500 staggered w/Nitto Invo (285 rear), GXP diffuser, Roto-Fab engine covers

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch.
    2009.5 MSM/Onyx G8 GT premium/sport/sunroof
    Wrenched and tuned by Reckart Performance Tuning in Cedar Park, TX USA

Post Thanks / Like

Well it has been one long day and I finally got home with a free loaner car a Chevy Traverse 4 banger.
    It was hard to see them open the engine and then see the lifter that is so messed up. The tech could see down onto the cam and he could see some big scaring also. He was lucky to find a new cam and lifter and bolts and looks like the parts will be there they said tomorrow.

No check engine light the car was running great but it was having some heart burn deep inside, lol

I think I made the right decision to leave it instead of driving it home 305 miles and yes I said 300 miles in my other posts, lol. I called my local service writer at the chevy store to let him know what was going on and he is going to make sure everything is done right and take care of anything after the fact for me.

Since I know you all know I am a fuel mileage person, I filled up the loaner and filled it up when I got back home and drove it the same 74 mph and it got 21.19 mpg. That sucks, and mine would of got 25-26 mpg. You tell me what your would drive, a car that makes 400 HP and can go 150+ mph or the Traverse that can't even get out of its own way. Case closed!

Hers more pictures I took of the Black Rat being torn apart,

Thanks for all the help from you all yesterday. What a great group of car nuts we have on here to help eachother out in our time of need.

Last edited by texn884; 09-01-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

So was the tune still in the car? What's the story with the dealer on getting repairs?
    Mier
    2009.15 G8 GT (Onyx/Red, Magnetic Grey, Premium/Sport, Bluetooth Onstar, RotoFab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Non-Catted connectors, Corsa Catback, HSRK, Custom tune by PatrickG, UPR Catch Can)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad they're getting you taken car of! I'm also curious about your tune and other mods, and if they gave you any trouble about them.

'09 PBM GT: 579hp/ 552tq - SOLD

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are lucky you got the mileage out of the car that you did. You will be much better off with those turd lifters replaced. Most have gone kaput in 1/3 the mileage you have.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    You are lucky you got the mileage out of the car that you did. You will be much better off with those turd lifters replaced. Most have gone kaput in 1/3 the mileage you have.
    I'm really in the same boat. I've been waiting for that shoe to drop every morning on these lifters and *knock on wood* it hasn't happened....yet. I know they will fail eventually and I'd prefer they fail sooner than later as I get closer to the end of my warranty. I also wanna catch it before any major damage is done so that it doesn't eat the engine as I like the way it runs now, I just want the crap parts removed.

This is also the reason I'm adamant about getting an Autocal unit for myself. That way when it fails no matter where I'm at I can swap the tune out for stock and not worry about those issues. Plus later I could have an additional tune made for running lower octane gas for whatever mods I do in the future.
    Mier
    2009.15 G8 GT (Onyx/Red, Magnetic Grey, Premium/Sport, Bluetooth Onstar, RotoFab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Non-Catted connectors, Corsa Catback, HSRK, Custom tune by PatrickG, UPR Catch Can)

Post Thanks / Like

Well I called Patrick G. about that concerning the tune, and he said they would have no need to plug the car in to check the computer becasue you could hear the noise and it was pretty easy to know something inside was messed up.

The service manager at the dealer told me after a while that GM has had a TSB out on this problem and they have been seeing this happening in the 6.0 engines in the trucks. They did not even ask if the car was tuned or anything and like Patrick said I bought the car used and who knows what that first owner did to the car so I would just play stuipd.

I was in contact with Crazy Paul also and yesterday after I let him know what the dealer was doing he told me that GM had ZERO new cams in stock for the L76. The dealer got one and the other parts ordered yesterday and they should be in today they were told.

My Chevy dealer in San Antonio has never asked about if the car has been tuned and when I get the car back I am takign it to them for a 4 wheel alignment and they will inspect the dealers work to make sure everything is put back together right.

I was exhausted yesterday when I finally got home but I hope it gets put back together correct. I am going to call the fixing dealer to save the cam so I can look at it and also take some pictures for you all.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here