Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Subs Wired Incorrectly from Factory!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    This thread really needs to be retitled. SO let me say this in bold...

THE SUBS ARE NOT WIRED INCORRECTLY.

The way the subs are hooked up is entirely correct by all rules of wiring and circuitry. Your multimeter will read no differently regardless of how you connect it. It may even read no resistance because a speaker is what is called an "inductive" load. It has a resistance to AC current, but little or none to DC.

The way the system is installed in our cars, however, the system is not tuned. What does this mean? This means that the bass from your front speakers stands to cancel out or interfere with the bass from your subwoofers. See the Interference article at Wikipedia for the explanation on wave interference.

Rewiring the subs as the OP has suggested inverts the phase of the subwoofers. To get technical, it shifts it by 180 degrees. This changes the way in which it interacts with the front speakers and, as it so happens in this car, it seems to result in an improvement.

Mind, it still won't be perfect. The only way to get it perfect is to get a specific EQ or tuning box, run ALL of the channels through that, and specifically adjust the delays at each speaker so that the waveform from each hits your listening space at the exact same time.
    Eidolon,
    This is interesting. Does this mean that those of us that don't want to go the amp and sub box route (because of space issues but also cost) could get big improvement by replacing with decent speakers and free air subs, TOGETHER with an EQ? If so which one would do the job well on a non-amp system?

Post Thanks / Like

This thread really needs to be retitled. SO let me say this in bold...

THE SUBS ARE NOT WIRED INCORRECTLY.

The way the subs are hooked up is entirely correct by all rules of wiring and circuitry. Your multimeter will read no differently regardless of how you connect it. It may even read no resistance because a speaker is what is called an "inductive" load. It has a resistance to AC current, but little or none to DC.

The way the system is installed in our cars, however, the system is not tuned. What does this mean? This means that the bass from your front speakers stands to cancel out or interfere with the bass from your subwoofers. See the Interference article at Wikipedia for the explanation on wave interference.

Rewiring the subs as the OP has suggested inverts the phase of the subwoofers. To get technical, it shifts it by 180 degrees. This changes the way in which it interacts with the front speakers and, as it so happens in this car, it seems to result in an improvement.

Mind, it still won't be perfect. The only way to get it perfect is to get a specific EQ or tuning box, run ALL of the channels through that, and specifically adjust the delays at each speaker so that the waveform from each hits your listening space at the exact same time.
    OK. The big question Eidolon...have you or will you reverse your wiring to improve your Techno? I understand the post but want to know if you think it's worth doing!
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I12XLR8 View Post
    OK. The big question Eidolon...have you or will you reverse your wiring to improve your Techno? I understand the post but want to know if you think it's worth doing!
    OK. I couldn't wait and did the mod - awesome!!! I haven't driven it around yet but I was able to bring the volume up to 40 and it sounded great (not that I often do that but I like to be able to!)

I believe that this is on par with the BASS MOD for stereo improvement.

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

40! I think this stereo system sounds like crap at 25 or so. I've never turned it up past that. If, just swapping these pair of wires on the subs makes that much difference Im impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. I couldn't wait and did the mod - awesome!!! I haven't driven it around yet but I was able to bring the volume up to 40 and it sounded great (not that I often do that but I like to be able to!)
    *snerk* No fair waiting just 5 hours for me to reply! I think it's worth doing, and I plan to try it myself. I've just been tied up with working on the suspension of late.

Someone else posted on G8Board that the wavelength of a 60Hz sound wave is several meters in length, and they're correct. I suppose the minor millisecond delay from the front to the back could cause issues, but it would be minute, and it shouldn't be enough to fully explain the difference that swapping the wires makes. So I'm at a loss. But hey, I'm a computer engineer, not a physicist.

Quote Originally Posted by Calais57 View Post
    Eidolon,
    This is interesting. Does this mean that those of us that don't want to go the amp and sub box route (because of space issues but also cost) could get big improvement by replacing with decent speakers and free air subs, TOGETHER with an EQ? If so which one would do the job well on a non-amp system?
    The stock subs are paper cone, the stock amp is 50 W. So regardless of the physics behind it, I would say yes, you could get a definite improvement from replacing those components. But you'd want to get not just an EQ, but something that could add delays to different speaker channels to tune it for a specific listening position in the vehicle. Unfortunately, that means rewiring the rest of the speakers, too, so that you could adjust their delays. Doing the subs alone with a delay wouldn't buy you much, and buying an EQ doesn't really give you anything that the stock head unit doesn't already have. An equalizer only boosts or cuts specific frequencies and does not in any way affect time delays.

Then again, considering that I spent the first half of this post shrugging my shoulders, take my advice with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 09-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blown396 View Post
    40! I think this stereo system sounds like crap at 25 or so. I've never turned it up past that.
    my stereo sounds better after the vim. I use an ipod nano and the sound was a lot better then before

I am going to switch my sub wires now and see what happens.
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

After the drive in this AM, with the system at 24 (my personal max), there was less rattle from the rear deck, and what seemed like better bass response. Very easy, effective mod. As has already been stated, this will not fix an inadequate system (if that's how you feel), just make the existing one better.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blown396 View Post
    40! I think this stereo system sounds like crap at 25 or so. I've never turned it up past that. If, just swapping these pair of wires on the subs makes that much difference Im impressed.
    Get ready to be impressed! Like Todd I had the great pleasure of driving the car in this morning and on two songs had the volume over 40 and it sounded great! In the past if I heard a sound I wanted to REALLY get into I would roll up the windows to experience the bass. This morning I was able to turn it up with the windows down and still FEEL the music. Incredible!

*snerk* No fair waiting just 5 hours for me to reply!
    I know, I know. But after reading the posts on the other board I just had to try it...

Quote Originally Posted by todds87ss View Post
    After the drive in this AM, with the system at 24 (my personal max), there was less rattle from the rear deck, and what seemed like better bass response. Very easy, effective mod. As has already been stated, this will not fix an inadequate system (if that's how you feel), just make the existing one better.
    This mod should make it into the Free Mod link so new guys can see this as soon as they get on the forum. I will be recommending it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I suck at soldering but I did this yesterday.

Made a small roadtrip with my son last night and then to work today. Definite improvement. Base hits cleaner and therefore can be cranked a little louder without the distortion. Some of the rattle from the back is gone too which must not have been the deck, it must have been distortion or muddling...

Cool little mod.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

2009 G8 GT, MSM/Onyx, Prem, Mods: few......Dozen

Post Thanks / Like

This mod should make it into the Free Mod link so new guys can see this as soon as they get on the forum. I will be recommending it!!!!
    I'll add this to the list, although I refuse to do this mod lol.

My car sounds great as it sits, at any volume.
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED