Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uh oh...Oil change overfull

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    I don't believe I've ever done this with any of my cars. Is this a "must do" or a "good idea to do"?
    Filling the oil filter on any car helps with the initial priming of the oil and is always a good idea. Now on some cars this is very hard to do due to filter location and angle.

On all my cars I always put some in regardless and if they are vertically mounted I fill them. It just saves that few seconds it takes to build oil pressure.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

it's also on the image directions on every box Ive seen fyi..
    11 CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't hurt. It's only 'necessary' on Turbo'd cars and mid to late 2000's Ford trucks (to avoid lifter damage on the Ford's). Considering the amount of effort involved I would suggest always doing it. It will obviously only affect the first start-up after the oil change so any negative effects of not doing it will be negligible.
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

The LS motor oil flow is from pump suction, through the pump, then to the filter, then to bearings. A dry will filter cause air/aerated oil to travel to bearing at startup, reducing engine life. Even a full filter will have some of this effect, but why not minimize it.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    it's also on the image directions on every box Ive seen fyi..
    Actually, I always assumed that little icon, of an oil dropper, was indicating you should lube up the O-ring on the filter with some oil to allow you to seat the filter. I learned oil changes from my dad, and while he never pre-filled the filter, he always lubed the O-ring with a bit of the used oil before installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    Filling the oil filter on any car helps with the initial priming of the oil and is always a good idea. Now on some cars this is very hard to do due to filter location and angle.

On all my cars I always put some in regardless and if they are vertically mounted I fill them. It just saves that few seconds it takes to build oil pressure.
    It makes me glad I haven't been doing deadly damage to my cars, then. But it does seem like a simple enough thing to do. I have yet to do my first own first oil change on the Pontiac. I always had it done at the dealership, since I had a "free oil changes" coupon. I'll make sure to top up the filter, then, on my first change. Thanks for the tip!
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke