Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vector Motor Sports TCM/ECM Tune Review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4GASEM View Post
    OK guys and gals, I bought a used ECM off a board member here and had them send it directly to Vector for a tune. Vector then tuned it to my specs for what I wanted and what I had for mods. So...

I stuck it in crossed my fingers, turned ignition on and tried to start. NOTHING! Then I turned off the key and turned it back on to see if the security light lit... NOTHING! OH SNAP! So I thought well this one's coming back out! DAMNIT! Then for shits and giggles I tried starting it again and BAM she fired up. WEIRD!

Kirk and his team are great to deal with! It was easy peasy and they made me feel like they had my back in case something went wrong. The only mistake I made was doing all this over the holiday as both they and I were off work a lot and hard to get a hold of. THAT was no fault of either party. Tis the season!

Buy from Vector with confidence!

Chris
    Glad you like it!
    With a new ECM sometimes you need to turn the key to the run position for a second before cranking. This lets everything "load" so to speak. If you just go from off to crank fast the ECM may not have time to do a first time learn.

Once it learns once you are done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4GASEM View Post
    Yes I flashed the TCM with the FXP. The ECM was tuned at Vector and sent to me. I would like to go up there and do a custom tune this summer sometime too. Maybe I can do that and my Vararam at the same time...

Chris
    So tuning the ECM is completely different from tuning the TCM? I had thought both could be tuned at the same time by shipping the ECM to them.
    2008 White Hot G8 GT - SOLD
    Power: 430 LS3, Vararam, ARH 1 7/8 LTs w/ Magnaflow Axleback, Patrick G. Tune
    Looks: 6000k HIDs, 19" Sport wheels
    Suspension: BMR Rear Trailing Arms, Subframe Bushings, and Toe Rods, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, H&R Sport Springs
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Thats why getting the FXP is the best way to do it.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UGotSmkd View Post
    So tuning the ECM is completely different from tuning the TCM? I had thought both could be tuned at the same time by shipping the ECM to them.
    The TCM is in the transmission.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what was confusing me. I thought all the parameters from the TCM would be logged into the ECM, therefore evrything could be tuned at once. So I would ship the ECM to VMS to have that tuned and then have them send me the FX cables for the TCM?
    Suspension: BMR Rear Trailing Arms, Subframe Bushings, and Toe Rods, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, H&R Sport Springs
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

Don't send anything. Just get the flash express and do it all at once.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UGotSmkd View Post
    This is what was confusing me. I thought all the parameters from the TCM would be logged into the ECM, therefore evrything could be tuned at once. So I would ship the ECM to VMS to have that tuned and then have them send me the FX cables for the TCM?
    Nope! They ship YOU the cables and you install their program they give you (on a thumb drive) on to a PC/laptop and then you hook the cables they send you to the PC/laptop and the under dash plug in the car and pull off the info Kirk needs, you email that info to Kirk, he tweaks it, sends it back and you download it to the ECM and the TCM in two steps. One and then the other.

Easy Peasy!

I just bought a second ECM from a member here and went that route.

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. That saved me the worry of doing two separate things. I just need to wait for them to do the OTR tuning and then it's a done deal!
    Last edited by UGotSmkd; 01-05-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Don't send anything. Just get the flash express and do it all at once.
    +1. That's what I'm planning on doing myself.

Post Thanks / Like

that's what I just ordered