Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to the Track for the First Time

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few tips and rules to go by for when you go to the track for the first time (If this looks familiar it's because I 'Borrowed' it from another site )

Everyone that wants to race should try to get there hands on an NHRA or IHRA rule book before going to the track..

Make sure you have along a shirt with sleeves, long pants and shoes. Check: that your seat belts works, all the fluids, tires, check for leaks, ect, etc before you leave your house. If you have a rag top or if you think your car will go 13.9 or faster bring a LEGAL helmet, like a SA2005 rated helmet. Some individual tracks require a helmet no matter your speed. Know your track rules.

When you first pull in and pay, ask where tech inspection is and when it opens. Go there before the required time and wait. If your car is fairly stock or does not have a lot done they will just make sure the battery is held down good and that the car is safe. Things like good tires, no leaks ect etc. Take all loose junk out of the car, to include anything in the trunk/hatch area (speaker boxes need to be secured or removed), before you go to tech inspection.

If you car has a lot done and you have an idea of what it will run, make sure you have all the appropriate safety gear.

Most tracks after tech inspection will then write a number on your car so they can keep track of your runs.

GO PARK YOU CAR! TURN OFF YOU’RE A/C AND DO NOT TURN IT ON UNTIL YOU LEAVE THE TRACK, this will keep you from dripping water on the track surface.

Sit up in the stands and watch. Notice how people go to the staging lanes, pull up to the starting line, pull off the track at the end of the run, and where you get your time slip.

After you have a good feel of things, get your car and pull into the staging lanes. Don’t leave your car while in the staging lanes.

When the person before you gets ready to run the guy at the tree will signal him forward. Pull up and stop were he was parked and wait your turn. You should have already turned off the stereo and roll up the windows. Make sure you have your helmet on and seat belt fastened.

Wait until you are signaled to pull forward. Never start your burn out until you are either signal by the track officials or the racers have already left the line. If you are on street tires, DRIVE AROUND THE WATER BOX (the water box area is the area where you smoke the tires) and back up into it. At most tracks, if you drive threw the water box the track people and the racers will not like you because while you are staging the water will run off your front tires on the staging area. This can make the track slick . That’s not good.

On the burn out, if you are on street tires just smoke them enough to clean the dust off of them or smoke them good for a show for the crowd. Its up to you.

Up ahead on the ground you will notice two holes next to each other in the walls (should have noticed this when you were in the stands). Pull up to the first one until the first set of top lights come on (this is pre-staging). Then pull up until you turn on the next set (you are fully staged). Once you do this be ready to race. DO NOT PULL ALL THE WAY UP TO THE TREE. You do not want to pre-stage and than stage all in motion. You pre-stage, than the other racer pre-stages; you stage and than the other racer stages. You get the idea.

When the lights come on go when its green. Don't try to go on the last yellow to get a good reaction time. No REAL racer will laugh at you for having a bad one. After a few runs you can start going on the last yellow when your nerves calm down.

Whatever side the turnoff is on, that racer has the right-of-way (turnoff on the right, the car in the right lane has the right-of-way). Unless you are WAY ahead of someone in the shutdown area (example a 12 second car beats an 18 second car, and even then be careful), don't cross in front of someone because you THINK they can slow down and follow you. They may have a problem (example NO BRAKES!) and can't stop in time. DO NOT RACE THE OTHER RACER TO THE EXIT!! There has been many an accident when people don't yield the right-of-way at a track. Best advice on this: ask the track's tech department or staging director before you make a pass.

Pull up to the person handing out the time slips. When you take the slip - thank them!

Put the slip down until you get back to the pits or staging lanes and look at it then. Don't look at slip (if you can) while sitting at the shack because people will be coming up behind to get their time slip.

Get back in the lanes when you are ready and do it all over again.

If after a few runs and the car is not hooking, you may want to drop the air pressure in your rear tries. You can start dropping one pound in each tire per run. Keep going until your times stop improving.

WARNING: DOING THIS DOES AFFECT YOUR HANDLING IN CORNERS. AIR YOUR TIRES BACK UP BEFORE YOU GO HOME! There is usually an air compressor at every track. Just ask were it is.

Its one thing if a rear end breaks but if you are worried about your car springing a leak or blowing fluids all over the track LEAVE IT AT HOME UNTIL IT’S FIXED. This keeps you and other racers safe.

Don't worry about making a mistake. If you go on a street night, most of the track workers know that most people there don't have a lot of race-time under their belt and are normally glad to help.

Here's a video that I thought was would help a first timer and well worth your time to watch.

EDIT: Link removed. It was redirected to another site.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 12-16-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    -= R.I.P Charlie =-
    2008 Panther Black G8 GT 888 Edition #470
    Texas-Speed 418 LS3, Patrick G 234/242 114LSA+2 Cam & Livernois Ported Heads & Valve-job, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Fasterproms Ported TB & Manifold, ECM/TCM Tune by PatrickG, 1-7/8" American Racing Headers, Circle-D 258mm 2800rpm Converter, Powerbond 25% Pulley, Pedders xA Street II Kit, HSV VE GTS Fenders, HSV VE GTS 20" Wheels (285/30 & 245/35), 20% Tint, Holden Rear Sunshade, Empty Wallet Mod(tm)
    http://g8gt.blogspot.com

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Info Steve! It is all true. The helmet is often overlooked by 1st timers figuring "I wont go that fast" Cool weather is coming, so ALL G8s WILL need a helmet.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Add a note - Increase front tire pressure to 50psi to decrease rolling resistance. And as Charlie said, yes bring a helmet.
    BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Post Thanks / Like

good reading! as someone whom goes to the track a lot this is great info for eveyone! Remeber (both rookies and pros) this is all for fun but be safe! Dont speed in the pits dont fight or argue with people! I have made some good friends at the track.
    2009 G8

Queen of the Quarter Mile MissNaySimon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely bring a helmet. If you beat that 13.9 and don't have one, you'll be out for the day. Some jerk one afternoon told me that I didn't need one because "13.7 wasn't fast." Asshole.
    I'm Pregnant. Don't FUCK With Me!
    ---------------------
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Gray Metallic/Onyx #2953
    2008: 13.507 @ 104.17 - Stock - 6/15/08 [Best R/T: 0.78]
    2009: 12.923 @ 109.67 - 1.920 60' - 5/9/09 [Best R/T: 0.15]

---------------------
    OPG CAI, MT Street ET Drag Radials, HPTuners by MoMorg, Ported TB by VetteWorks, Intake Manifold Cover Removed by BobTheMonkee, Pedders Lowering Springs

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheMonkee
    I'll even let you stick your finger in my ranch
    ^ I <3 My Best Friend! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

FYI for northwest racers Pacific raceway rents helmets for like $5 a day...
    2009 G8

Queen of the Quarter Mile MissNaySimon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I went out and bought one. It's pink. :P Go figure.
    I'm Pregnant. Don't FUCK With Me!
    ---------------------
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Gray Metallic/Onyx #2953
    2008: 13.507 @ 104.17 - Stock - 6/15/08 [Best R/T: 0.78]
    2009: 12.923 @ 109.67 - 1.920 60' - 5/9/09 [Best R/T: 0.15]

---------------------
    OPG CAI, MT Street ET Drag Radials, HPTuners by MoMorg, Ported TB by VetteWorks, Intake Manifold Cover Removed by BobTheMonkee, Pedders Lowering Springs

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheMonkee
    I'll even let you stick your finger in my ranch
    ^ I <3 My Best Friend! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm off to Cecil tomorrow...Normal or Sport mode?? I thought I read somewhere here that VMS tunes the trans to run the 1/4 best in Normal?? Also noticed to day my trans shifts from 3rd to 4th @ 110 I though ppl said they were shifting sooner?
    Last edited by Devilish34; 04-25-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Retiring as the undefeated Cam only Record Holder 11.454@120

Come and get the title bitches it's up for grabs

Post Thanks / Like

My motocross helmet is Snell rated...would that work or should I wear my full-face rocket helmet. Both are Snell approved, etc.
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Summit White. M6 some mods.
    2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition, Red. 42 mpg avg!
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000....many mods. ITBFST-R
    (Tragically gone) 2008 G8 GT Black on black, Prem., sunroof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PantherGTBlack View Post
    My motocross helmet is Snell rated...would that work or should I wear my full-face rocket helmet. Both are Snell approved, etc.
    sorry but no, neither will pass tech. You need a SA rated brain bucket, not a M rated. Try to get one SA2005.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.