Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Pontiac Torrent water leak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontiac Torrent water leak

Anybody have info on TSB 08-08-57-001. It's for water getting into the spare tire compartment. The cause is from insufficient seam sealer on a body joint. Need info on what it takes to remove the bumper. Also which joint is the main cause of the leak.
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

Silver,
    THank you for the heads up. Bought my daughter one to go to college in. No, I don't know which joint, but if she finds out i'll get back with yuou. What I did want to tell you is that there is a recall for plugs and wires replacement. If yours has a hesitation or mistery misfire take it in. DON'T LET THEM SELL YOU A SYSTEM FLUSH (like they did me). I returned with the recall notice and everyone that I had previously talked to at the dealership was "unavailable". I got my money back, then went to another dealer to do the plug/wire install. They won't be selling me anything in the future.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you manage to find out Tony, I'd be keen to know?

Post Thanks / Like

That is a general bulletin that covers 8 different possible leaks, if I knew how to forward it onto here I would...I've had a couple leaks in that area of these things and it has all been different things. The hatch large body to hatch seal, the antenna not sealing and the electric grommets at the top of the hatch not sealing are what I remember, never had to take a bumper off on one of these, but anything is possible! Best way to find it is have a buddy shut you inside the car and then get them to run a hose all over the area and see if you can find where it is coming in. Good luck.
    2008 G8 GT IOM

Livernois Stage 1 cam, Livernois ported heads with CNC valve job, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, Magnaflow axle backs, Fast LSXR, Roto-fab CAI, 160 thermostat, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR rear diff. bushings and H&R springs. Tuned by RPM 428.34 hp and 406.44tq. Best time of 12.36@114.9 on Street tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gm tsb 08-08-57-001

I just purchased an Equinox with the same problem. Here's the link I found to the full TSB from GM. Hope that helps.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...water_leak.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    I just purchased an Equinox with the same problem. Here's the link I found to the full TSB from GM. Hope that helps.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...water_leak.pdf
    nice find man. but it says to "Use 3M™ Ultrapro Autobody Sealant Clear or equivalent". my question is, what are the alternatives that i can use aside from 3M? it must be the same quality but more affordable to get than 3M. i know this is cheap for you but i am just trying to save cash for other repairs on my car because i have lots of pontiac parts that needs to be replace.
    Last edited by gray; 09-08-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is driving me nuts, my 07 torrent has wet carpets (actually under the carpet) AGAIN and I just pumped a bunch of water out of the spare tire well. I got the TSB and have examined and resealed every area that had the slightest gap except behind the rear bumper cover. I'll take that off tomorrow. I did what I thought was a pretty good water leak test with a hose in back and on top but can't re-create.
    I'm just not convinced it's fixed yet.
    Bill