Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I've decided on a build "theme" for the Blazer

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think I've decided on a build "theme" for the Blazer

As some of you know, I'm getting a 1972 K5 2wd Blazer on Tuesday (assuming there aren't any other hitches). It was my dad's and then my brother's and now it will be mine. The body is in pretty bad shape due to the fact that it has sat outside for the last 10 years with a blown motor. I will have my work cut out for me.

My build theme will be, "How I would have built it from the factory". As some of you might know, I'm not much of a super custom show car garage queen person. Anything I have has to be functional, wife and daughter friendly as well as reliable.

With that said, I've been all over the place on what I want to do to the truck. I believe after numerous back and forths in my head and on here I think I have settled on an idea and a somewhat clear goal as to how I want this truck to turn out.

Right now it has a 307 and a manual 3 speed on the tree. It's got the factory green paint and a white hard top (that weighs a ton). It doesn't have many options at all. No power steering or A/C.

My plan of attack is listed below. If people with much more build/project experience think I'm making a mistake or missing something let me know.

Phase 1: The Dreaded Rust Removal
    Anyone that has owned an older Chevy knows that they are prone to rusting. I plan on getting ALL of the rust cut out and new panels put in. This will probably be the largest consumer of time. The body is straight and it's never been wrecked (that I can tell) but there is a lot of rust and rot.

Phase 2: The Frame
    Pull the body off and strip the frame down and have it cleaned and powder coated.

Phase 3: The Suspension and Brakes
    Replace all bushing and any suspension or drivetrain parts that are questionable. This will be when I convert the rear gear to a positive traction unit. I haven't decided on a running gear but I'm thinking it will be in the low 3's (maybe a 3:23 or something in that range) so I don't turn as many RPMs while cruising. I'm going to convert the rear to disc brakes and add a power steering box at this point as well. I'm going to drop the front 2" and the rear 3-3.5".

Phase 4: The Engine and Drivetrain
    Since I want to get a big block in this thing I'll start working on the engine and transmission next. I've decided on the GM Performance 454 HO which has relatively mild manners and should be reliable but still have enough grunt to put a grin on my face. It will be hooked up to a TH400. I haven't decided on a transmission yet but, I want it to be strong enough to handle the 500 lbs/ft of torque for a long time. I'll probably go with a Yank truck converter with a 2600 stall speed. I will be adding A/C so I'll get the brackets and other engine stuff addressed here too. I'll be getting a heavy duty radiator and transmission cooler too. I believe this would be a good time to deal with the exhaust as well.

Phase 5: Tub Back on the Frame
    Once I get the rolling chassis finished and the rust removed from the tub, I'll mate the two back up and be able to start the interior.

Phase 6: The Interior
    Since I'm swapping the transmission to an automatic, I'm going to replace the steering column to an automatic with tilt column. I'm also going to get a gauge cluster that has a tachometer in it. All of the gauges will be new. The dash will stay stock looking. I'm going to put 2001-2005 Tahoe front seats in the front and Tahoe 3rd row seats in the back. I like these seats for a number of reasons. They are comfortable, the power adjust will be wired up and work and I also like the fact that they have a shoulder belt built into the seat already. Since I'll be hauling my daughter in this thing I will feel better having that small safety feature. My goal is to have the rear seats mounted pretty much like they are in the Tahoes so I can fold them down and flip them forward to have more room in the rear of the Blazer when I need it.

I haven't decided on a color yet but, I kind of like the factory green. I might stay with that. Whatever color I decide to go with will determine the color I paint the top. I will probably tint just the glass in the top (rear sides and rear hatch) and not the door windows. I am keeping the truck rally rims. I will probably get them widened. I haven't determined a width yet but I'm thinking 8-9" in the front and 10-11" in the rear.

I want this truck to look somewhat stock at a glance. It will be lowered and have wider tires and rims but overall it will have a stock appearance.

This is the first time I've laid it all out in writing and it seems like a pretty major undertaking. I hope it's fun and I hope it doesn't drag out too much.

What are some thoughts and opinions on my plan?

Thanks!
    SOLD: 2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6
    Current Vehicle: 1984 Chevy K10 (it's red and redneck)
    New Vehicle: 1972 2wd K5 Blazer. It's being built right now. Link to the build is HERE

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
    - John Henry Boetcker

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a GRRRR8 plan!
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Charlie. I'm really eager to get this thing in my hands so I can get moving on it.
    New Vehicle: 1972 2wd K5 Blazer. It's being built right now. Link to the build is HERE

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
    - John Henry Boetcker

Republic of Texas Mod bwooten492's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not a 700R4?
    08 IOM G8 GT
    Texas stock

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about the 700R4s. Will they handle 500 lb/ft of torque?

- John Henry Boetcker

Republic of Texas Mod bwooten492's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They are the non-electronic version of a 4L60e. And just like any other tranny, you can buy or build one that can handle what you need it to.
    08 IOM G8 GT
    Texas stock

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a cool project.

Was the factory green metallic? I think the synergy green Camaro color would look tits with a black top and rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 White Hot G8 GT

(new)499RWHP/474RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    (old)451RWHP / 498RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    1/4=11.400@118.7 17" Drag Radials, stall, cam 1.77 60'
    1/4=12.004@120.6 17" Drag Radials 2.03 60'
    1/4=12.270 @118.3 on 18" All Seasons 2.08 60'
    SLOWHAWK Tuned

If you can't say anything intelligent, say something loud and stupid
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

The Camaro green is a little to much for me.

- John Henry Boetcker

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the whole body dipped....strip it clean once. Only issue there is that it needs a protective coat of a primer (high build primer/otherwise) and maybe look at PQR15
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Brandon,

Sounds great! Can't wait to see it, both before and after!
    Kevin
    2009 SRM G8 GXP A6 + Roof
    Go
    Vararam CAI
    VMS "Stealth" Dyno Tune
    VMS HSRK
    GTPprix's hacked Atari gauges
    Norris Motorsports Billet Oil Catch Can
    Radical Advantage Trans dipstick
    Blendimount and Invisicord for the V-1
    Doug Thorley LT's

Show