Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Gas Mileage after tune / snow tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas Mileage after tune / snow tires?

I know you shouldn’t change to many things at once but this is the way it goes. I got the VMS tune two weeks ago at the same time I put snow tires on the car (Bridgestone Blizzak 19”). My gas mileage went from 22.5 mpg. to 19.5 mpg. the tire pressure went from 39psi to 32psi. The car runs great after the tune and I know you guys will say get your foot out of the throttle, but I average 900 miles a week mostly highway.

Post Thanks / Like

I also got the VMS tune but it's tuned for the HRSK and CAI which I haven't had time to install yet. At first I didn't like the way it ran and my gas mileage seemed better, now it's running REALLY good and it seems to me I may have lost a little but it is so hard to really get it accurate. I was averaging between 18 and 19 mpg before now I'm somewhere around 16 but it's too soon to really tell and I have to get the other two parts of the equation in there, hopefully tomorrow. I think I am playing with it a little more too, these cars cab be so good on gas when you just put along. ..but who wants to just put along?
    2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Stealth VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Vararam Ram Air, VMS HSRK, Front Panel Mod, axle-back straight pipes with capped Helmholtz chamber.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter gas kills mileage. Wait until Spring to start testing it.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Winter gas kills mileage. Wait until Spring to start testing it.
    Agreed! I never really noticed a huge change from summers to winters. I am getting a new(for me) ECM from VMS here shortly.

Mine runs WAY rich right now.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys… I was thinking that the winter gas may have something to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to check mine out this week, I finally was able to get the Roto-Fab in and it runs a hundred times better.
    Going from 39 to 32 lbs in your tires will give lower mileage too.
    Last edited by bobyoung; 12-15-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added something
    2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Stealth VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Vararam Ram Air, VMS HSRK, Front Panel Mod, axle-back straight pipes with capped Helmholtz chamber.

Post Thanks / Like

Snow...? We don't get that here. What does it look like? I've seen it on T.V. J/K That's why I moved from the Midwest fellas. I don't miss scrapin' off that ice at 6 a.m.

You chaps enjoy the snow, while I'm playing golf!
    2009 Panther Black Metallic
    Premium/Sport/Sunroof
    SLP LT Headers w/ HF Cats, Magnaflow Catback, RotoFab CAI, VMS ECM/TCM "Stealth" 91 Octane Tune, PB 25% UPD, 35% front, 5% back/rear "Formula One Ceramic Tint", Debadged (Added V-badge), Holden Centre Wheel Caps, Moblil 1 Synthetic Oil

Post Thanks / Like

There are many reasons for MPG drop in the winter. As others said, tire pressure is one. Another is just the fact that it takes longer for the engine to get "warm". The car runs in a rich mixture until it is at operating temps. This obviously takes more gas. On mornings like today (-7), I'll let it idle for 5 minutes before driving. That doesn't help. Air density is another, cold air is dense, so it takes more gas to keep the ratio the same (means more power too)

I just came from another G8 board and have posted this pic there.. I'll repost so you can see what snow is

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    FORMER OWNER 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance
    http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...gger_name2.jpg