Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Oil Leak coming from the crankshaft flywheel scew holes? ? :s Too much crancake pres?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Leak coming from the crankshaft flywheel scew holes? ? :s Too much crancake pres?

Noticed an oil leak coming from the rear of the end, put some dye in, pulled the tranny and noticed that wasn't coming from the rear main or the oil pan gasket. Pulled the flywheel and notice the dye coming from the screw holes on the crankshaft (flywheel screw holes)!!!! I didn't know that the flywheel screw holes on the crankshaft are actually true holes (from one side of the crankshaft all the way to the other side). So my thoughts were that this needs to be sealed properly, meaning that when they replaced (dealer) the rear main seal, they reuse the flywheel screws and did not seal the threads properly. But this was about 7k miles ago... so im wondering if crankcase pressure is the culprit of this, but then i realized that it would have been the case, it would have blown the rear main seal before leaking from the screw holes, maybe is one of those go through the path of least resistance if you will. Have anyone experience this before? Also, if anyone could post a pic of the crankshaft by itself, rear view picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a check valve in your vacuum line to keep the blower from pressurizing your crankcase?
    Mine does.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    Do you have a check valve in your vacuum line to keep the blower from pressurizing your crankcase?
    Yeah, the checkv alve that came on the kit for the hose that goes from the driver side valvecover to the intake, behind the TB. I will check it to see if i need to replace it. I was thinking of getting a breather to replace the oil fill snorkle on the passenger side, that way it will release most of the crankcase pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

I would check the check valve first.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1ChargedG8 View Post
    Also, if anyone could post a pic of the crankshaft by itself, rear view picture.
    Yeah I understand your question. I've got a crankshaft here and an L76 crate engine. Next daylight 12Hrs from now I'll pull the flywheel off the crate engine and get some pics for you. I've looked at the bare crank but can't get my head around the problem until I pull the flywheel off the engine.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an old LS1 crank I had laying around.

You can see the flywheel bolt holes are fully drilled and tapped right thru the flange.
    Looking thru the centre of the pilot bearing (manual trans) you can see deeper inside a sealing cap to prevent oil coming thru the centre of the crank.

Last edited by Crazy Paul; 03-02-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    Crazy Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another pic with the rear cover and rear main seal removed.

Last edited by Crazy Paul; 03-02-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Crazy Paul