Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vararam/SOLO Mach Review

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Vararam/SOLO Mach Review

WOW. Incredible transformation of my car. You will not be dissappointed with the intake or exhaust. If you are looking for some easy/fairly inexpensive mods, these might be what you have been looking for.

First, the Vararam.

Turns out they are located in Texas which is cool. I got my intake in 3-4 days I believe. It has been a few months now since I put it on. This is a quality product. I am not sure what some of the complaints are about, but to me this thing is well designed and made from quality materials. The install took 2 hours. I took my time, knowing that the ECU reset would take 2 hours anyway. The install instructions were great and easy to use... if I had needed them Actually I did reference them to get the radiator support clips out. The first 30 miles were close to torture. But I made it without driving fast. Then the fun began. Man this thing sucks some air. It makes the engine GROWL! The throttle response increased dramatically. It took about 100 miles I think to fully learn, getting faster the whole time. It is unbelievable how much faster this car is with a Vararam. I have driven it in moderate rain with no problems.

SOLO Mach Cat-Back Exhaust Unbalanced with QUAD 3.5" Tips

HOLY S*%T.... I dare you to try to drive without smiling. No joke, I was literally grinning ear to ear for about 45 minutes. This thing SCREAMS when I go WOT. It is the perfect combination for me. Tame..ish when I want it for cruising/going on a date, and then.... BAM, IN YOUR FACE, YES I HAVE A 6.0 V8 AND ITS FAST. The youtube videos do not do justice to this exhaust at all. It sounds 10 times better in person than in the videos, and I was listening through legit headphones.
    Basically, it is quiet enough to leave for work in the am without waking the neighborhood, and loud/tasty enough to make anyone that calls themselves a "car guy/gal" to stare and desire.

I installed this yesterday in my garage, on the floor with one jack-jacked all the way up under the front left. I did the complete swap in 2 hours by myself, and 45 minutes of that was aligning and slowly tightening things up to get the tips perfect. Instructions, if you need them, are emailed to you and seem to be perfect for anyone to do the install. Very simple stuff. I would recommend using some DEEP CREEP penetrating lube a few days before. I sprayed all the bolts and o2 sensors 2 days before, and the day before. The o2 sensors I was worried about stripping and they came out with one firm bump then finger loose the rest of the way. The exhaust nuts to the cats put up some resistance all the way out, but not unbearable. Did not need to use soapy water on the rubber hangers, just used my "guitar hand strength" to squeeze them out haha

Solo has exceptional customer service. I called Steve for a few questions and he called back in about 30 minutes and TOOK THE TIME to deal with me. I never once felt like he was hurrying to get off the phone, and to me that is priceless. I felt like he honestly cared about helping me, and earning my business. I was sold, but driving in traffic so I asked to call him back in 30 to give my card info. He said fine, and when I called back he was driving, so he pulled over and took the time to get my info, again never rushing or hurrying me. Shipped in 6 days, including the weekend. From NY(I believe) to DFW TX.

When buying either of these products, budget in an extra $50-100 for gas. I have lead foot like I haven't had since I was 16. I hope it goes away soon, cause gas is getting crazy expensive!

Taylor

p.s.
    I DESTROYED(3-4 cars ahead 0-80) a new 335i after the vararam only. Also with the intake only, raced my friend in a 2010 subaru WRX and caught him at 75, pulled away after that. He got about a car/2 cars off the line usually.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, It seems everyone is happy with their Solo systems
    2008 pontiac G8 GT Mods: vararam, Livernois ECM/TCM tune, blacked out grill, IAT relocation kit, pypes violators axleback exhaust, hopefully more to come sometime

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txg8gt08 View Post
    Solo has exceptional customer service. I called Steve for a few questions and he called back in about 30 minutes and TOOK THE TIME to deal with me. I never once felt like he was hurrying to get off the phone, and to me that is priceless. I felt like he honestly cared about helping me, and earning my business. I was sold, but driving in traffic so I asked to call him back in 30 to give my card info. He said fine, and when I called back he was driving, so he pulled over and took the time to get my info, again never rushing or hurrying me. Shipped in 6 days, including the weekend. From NY(I believe) to DFW TX.

Very much so... I've been around for a reasonable amount of time on both forums, and I have yet to hear a bad review about customer service from Solo. EVERYONE says that they are completely top notch and will go out of their way to make sure you are fully happy. I have never seen that kind from a company pretty much ever. If the quality of the product alone didn't sell me, the customer service would.

Plus the exhaust is really that good? Daym. Did you just do a catback swap and leave the stock cats on there?

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait until you add some long tubes and the Solo cats. You think it growls now...
    2009 Stryker G8 GT
    Go: Kooks LTH - Solo HFC - Solo catback - Formato Tune -Vararam - Ported TB and Intake - Vredestein Utrac Sessantas
    Show: IOM steering wheel and shift knob - Custom painted Ruff Racing wheels
    Slow: factory suspension

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowstrife View Post
    Plus the exhaust is really that good? Daym. Did you just do a catback swap and leave the stock cats on there?
    Yeah I have stock exhaust manifolds and cats. Its good. Really good. This morning driving to work, my roommate took a back road and ended up on the left side of the intersection at a red light while I was driving under the bridge. I turned off TC and nailed it in first, it spun up to 6000rpms in a hurry then I let off. He said if he hadn't seen me, he would have thought it was a cammed vette getting crazy. I wish I had a long tunnel close by. The closest is 45 min away... probably worth it to get some videos haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 09Stryker View Post
    Just wait until you add some long tubes and the Solo cats. You think it growls now...
    haha, yeah I have seen videos of that combo. It is nasty for sure. Might be a little too much for my dd though. If I could afford to keep mine as a weekend warrior only I would go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!!

Welcome to the SOLO family. Mine's been on my car (in various forms, lol) since the initial group buy around Thanksgiving 2009. I agree with everything you said. SOLO has a top notch set of products, and even better customer support. There's a lot to be said for that!

If you want "the next level" ... upgrade to the SOLO HF cats that are bolt-in between the manifolds and your new catback. They are nothing short of amazing! SOLO offers inline HF cat kits for some headers too (mi04se just had these installed in Buffalo)

Good times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
    Great review!!

Welcome to the SOLO family. Mine's been on my car (in various forms, lol) since the initial group buy around Thanksgiving 2009. I agree with everything you said. SOLO has a top notch set of products, and even better customer support. There's a lot to be said for that!

If you want "the next level" ... upgrade to the SOLO HF cats that are bolt-in between the manifolds and your new catback. They are nothing short of amazing! SOLO offers inline HF cat kits for some headers too (mi04se just had these installed in Buffalo)
    Thanks! Yeah I definitely love the sound of the HF cats and headers. I just don't think I want that on my everyday drive to work. One day, if I achieve my life goals, I will have my G8 as a weekend warrior only. Mid twin turbo set-up. Solo Cats inline. Custom cam. Built engine and tranny. Pedders suspension. Big brakes. Lightweight rims. Drag radials. And something classy to daily, maybe a Benz... Much to acomplish before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the very kind words and we are so happy that you love your new exhaust It makes driving the car very enjoyable. Welcome to the SOLO family and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to call me!

Steve
    Drive proud...enjoy GOING SOLO, and turn a few heads!

Solo Performance Exhaust Sound Clips Compilation

Steve Mariano
    SOLO Performance
    516-655-9002
    goingsolo2@hotmail.com
    http://www.solo-performance.com

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same set up on my gxp. I was recently rear ended and my solo was damaged. I considered getting a different exhaust but I've been so happy with the MACH that I had the bodyshop doing the work order me up a brand new MACH. We'll see what this MACH is about when I slap two 62mm hairdryers on!