Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swap G8 for AWD car... financials

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Swap G8 for AWD car... financials

I know this may get me flamed here... but after having some life issues and almost having to sell the G8... and after having an AWD winter beater that turned out to be a lemon and ending up getting rid of it... I am tired of lack of traction. I've got all this power and I always have to be careful about moderating the throttle in order to put that down. I want to trade the G8 for a nice, reliable AWD car - and good AWD, not Haldex.

Note that I am not looking for suggestions on getting better traction, be they miracle tires, miracle suspension components or miracle anything else, unless it's miracle "also drives the front wheels."

Anyway, my car has 22k miles, has the sport package and is in good shape. Currently got nice snow tires on aftermarket rims but I still have my stockers that need new tires, though a couple of the stock rims are in a little bit rough shape.

Car's been in an accident, minor... fender, bumper, some simple suspension stuff, but no frame damage and the car was drivable after the accident. Don't know how much this is going to kill the value of it. It was an expensive repair because the shop I go to is expensive. I had them put a GXP bumper on when they repaired it. It all looks quite nice.

Values range from 20k trade-in (Edmunds) to 22k (NADA) to 24k (KBB) in their second highest conditions. I owe about 20.8k on it and have 0% APR. I see 2007-2008 G35x's for around $21-22k. I'm in a credit union that is advertising used car loan rates as low as 3.4% and a special limited time discount of 1% off if we finance no more than 80% of the car. My credit score is reasonably good though I'm pretty sure it's not quite good enough to get 3.4%, but perhaps under 5%.

Any advice about how to approach this sort of swap? I am not decided on it, or on a G35x, but it's something I'm considering. Financial advice related to this situation would be helpful, and also how to deal with dealerships when approaching. What to expect, etc. Also willing to discuss other options for AWD cars.
    Last edited by dandragonrage; 02-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My first financing thought, if you are not keeping a car to full term, avoid subsidized financing in the future. I assume you took GM's 0% apr over the rebate when you bought your G8.
    2009.1 G8 GT - 2013 Surly Pugsley - 2011 Specialized S.J. Comp 29 - 2008 Cannondale six13 D1 - 9 others

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I intended to keep this car. I got an AWD winter beater and while that car was a piece of crap, I have tasted the sweet sweet fruit of AWD and I no longer have any love left for RWD, no matter how good the tires are.

Don't get me wrong - the G8 is great in many ways, but traction is important and the G8 just doesn't deliver. Besides, I live in MA and am now using (currently) the G8 year-round. WS70s make it pretty decent in the snow but still nowhere close to the A4 Quattro I just dumped.
    Last edited by dandragonrage; 02-16-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great options for AWD. Short term , I'd consider a certified 335ix, 535ix or S4. The G35x mentioned is certainly a great choice for longer ownership. Long term, I like Subarus. Legacy GT is worth a look. Not sure of other good choices that are not Haldex.
    2009.1 G8 GT - 2013 Surly Pugsley - 2011 Specialized S.J. Comp 29 - 2008 Cannondale six13 D1 - 9 others

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'd like to say that I'm looking for a car to keep for at least 5 years, but it really depends on how I'm liking the car over time. I've considered the 335xi but I'm not confident in the reliability of German cars considering how much time I've spent over the last year fixing crap on the Audi. And JDP&A rates BMW much lower than Audi in reliability last time I checked. They are nice looking cars but I want something that, for being an advanced car, is relatively easy to maintain.

The Audi I had did have over 130k miles, so that means something, but I've owned cars with more miles and haven't had to replace much at all. My first car was an 89 Camaro with 16x k miles, not too much work done to it, and I barely had to do anything to it.

Legacy GT was a car that I was looking at but I hate the looks of Subarus, both interior and exterior. I know it's mechanically a good car, but... bleh! I don't think they have ever made a car that's not ugly.
    Last edited by dandragonrage; 02-16-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter how many damn miles are on an Audi, you'll always be dumping money into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Awd tb ss

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

SRT Jeep!!

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4
    **RIP Shaun Finley**
    FUCK CANCER
    **RIP Charlie**

'16 2SS NFG Camaro M6 NPP Mag
    Procharged, custom 4.5" heat exchanger, custom cam
    LT4 fuel system and top hardware, Stainless Works long tubes
    Weld wheels, Hoosier rear fatties, M&H front skinnies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WickedMom View Post
    SRT Jeep!!

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4
    Quote Originally Posted by fastg8mi View Post
    Awd tb ss

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    These are the two that came into mind when I seen the thread.

My buddy has a SRT Jeep and he put steel wheels with snows and the thing went through the blizzards we experienced this year with ease. Plus it has some balls!
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Only looking at passenger cars :P I like to handle too much for anything with a higher center of gravity.