Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turn over engine without starting

Post Thanks / Like

man start that thing up!

Beyond Help Robert@KBXPerformance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    When the battery is charged - pull the plugs and spin the shit out of it!

JAM
    Refer to post #8.

Ray just start the car up. Whether a car sits for a few minutes or a few months the oil pressure will drop to 0psi. What matters is the oil that stays in between the crank journals and crank bearings themselves, as well as the cam journals and bearings, and the rocker arms. That film of oil is still going to be where it is supposed to be "floating" the crank and camshaft whether it sits for a few days or much longer. Some engines will turn fast enough while using just the starter to rotate that they can prime without being started but the LSx engines usually cannot. This means that when you pull plugs, plug wires, injector harness connectors or anything else that prevents the engine from starting as you try to prime it you actually take a bigger chance of hurting something because it is spinning with more or less zero oil pressure. If you just start it up then the oil pump can spin fast enough to pull the few inches of head to get oil into the pump and actually develop oil pressure and push it through the oil gallery within about 1-2 seconds according to my datalogs.

The only proper way to "prime" the oil systems on these cars without just starting it up is to pull the front drivers side oil gallery plug and use a manual pump to manually pump oil into the oil gallery which bypasses the oil pump itself. However, that approach is usually only reserved for those of us who just got done dropping a fresh engine in that has never had any oil in it and need to at least "wet" things a bit first.

Don't worry about anything Ray. Just start her up and let it get to operating temperature again before beating on it. I once let my V8 Explorer sit for 2 years when I was stationed overseas and when I got back I just hooked the battery up, fired her right up, let it get to op temp and drove it just fine.
    Last edited by Robert@KBXPerformance; 02-13-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    2003 4.6 XLT Black Explorer, Built, blown, ported, cammed, and on and on...

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Stryker Blue, 402ci Stroker, Twin Turbo's, 230/240 Turbocam, Circle D Built 6L80E, Circle D 3000 Stall, and a few other things...

2005 Charcoal Grey Lincoln LS Sport V8, KBX Custom Turbo system...Sold...

Post Thanks / Like

It started right up Robert. I put the fuses back in and it didn't even crank over twice before it fired.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Just start it, the oil pumps work so well off the front of the motor that its just not an issue. Fire it up drive it some and change the oil for a fresh start for spring. Come on Ray, get it together. LOL

Roots blower by Magnacharger 469 hp 498 torque on Mustang dyno 12 lbs of boost
    Should be over 500 rwhp with cog drive, now 12 lbs of boost, no dyno or track time since od cog drive
    After Maggie 11.86 @ 115.33 w/1.74 60 ft (best 60ft 1.63.) (Nov. 6, 2010) Temp 60, DA 1158
    After Maggie 1/8 mile 7.58, best mph 92.16 w/1.66. Kooks Mids w/cats, H-pipe, cheap mufflers.
    20x8.5 and 20x9.5 Lorenzo Black Wl032 wheels Sumitomo Htr 3's 255-35 and 275-35's
    Eibach prokit with Lovell strut/shocks, Ctsv/Camaro Brakes
    The above Dyno numbers were after the sale to born2fly (awsome)
    New Ride is 82 malibu wagon with 6.0 ly6 and ported l92 heads, comp cam, holley hi ram intake, hedman headers, 4l60 w/3000 stall and more

Beyond Help Robert@KBXPerformance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locrzn#92 View Post
    Just start it, the oil pumps work so well off the front of the motor
    Holy crap!!! Your G8 has dual oil pumps?!?!?? I need that mod!
    2003 4.6 XLT Black Explorer, Built, blown, ported, cammed, and on and on...

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Stryker Blue, 402ci Stroker, Twin Turbo's, 230/240 Turbocam, Circle D Built 6L80E, Circle D 3000 Stall, and a few other things...

2005 Charcoal Grey Lincoln LS Sport V8, KBX Custom Turbo system...Sold...