Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HPTuners Tuning Basics

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bluegoat, I've been tinkering back and forth with my tranny settings and still don't have them perfect. Regardless of which table I change, I still get an aggressive shift with tire spin, THEN it bogs down due to TM. I'm trying to get a tune that won't turn the tires over when shifting. I've got a dyno tune on the engine and the tranny is pretty good, but not perfect. I've seen videos of high power cars that don't even chirp the tires, so I know it can be done on my little 340hp ride. Without having to shoot me, how much information can you share?

I've been browsing @ HPT and have picked up enough few pointers from several tunes to make a hybrid tune (like most guys).

Thanks!
    Greg
    2009 White Hot GT - vararam, ported TB & exhaust manifolds, HF cats, Pypes, UD pulley, HPT - 12.89 @ 108.55 - 1.94 -- 337hp/358tq

Post Thanks / Like

Glad this info made it over here. Very good pointers. Hp tuners is a great tool and there is a ton of information on the web to disect. I've got about 300 pages of threads and such printed out and still more out there. Kinda wish I woulda spent the extra money for the Pro version now but oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a combination of shift speed time and trans TM to control wheel spin. if i set the base shift times below .20 sec, the trans would shift too hard for my taste at any point in the rpm. so i have the base set to .23 sec for sport mode only, .27 sec for normal, but i control the shift time using shift time adders/inertia adders, so i can remove some time from the shift past 4500rpm, again personal preference.

for Trans TM, the final torque factor is calculated like this:
    FTF = {Shift Torque Factor + (Shift Torque Factor Adder * Shift Torque Factor Adder Mod)} * Torque Factor Cold

Shift Torque Factor is per shift.

Shift Torque Factor Adder is per shift, it is multiplied by the Shift Torque Adder Mod before being added to the Shift Torque Factor.

Shift Torque Adder Mod is a table with RPM & Driver Demand Torque. It is used to scale the Shift Torque Adder depending on RPM/Demand Torque To give the different shift feel/scaled TM% up/down. Hybrid mode as some describe it here

The combination of this tables allows you to control engine timing right in between the upshift, the problem is that you need to experiment with it, cause you can't exactly tell how much timing you'll have base on the % of TM you're runing unless you run 0% TM, which should't remove any timing out of the engine during the upshift. problem is, it's very hard to control wheel spin with such settings unless you have sticky tires, plus, i really like to have a long lasting trans .

There is no need to change the torque factor cold.

Also for the downshift/upshift, there is a new table (you'll need the latest beta for this), called spark min tqmgt that allows you to have a minimum engine timing right when the trans downshift/upshift and trans TM kicks in.(timing won't go down past this values). In the G8's the default is -20*, i have mine set at 0* so the minimum timing i see is 0* during WOT downshifts.(timing goes down to 0*), or right when TM kicks in for the upshift, ex: 1-2 WOT upshift.

I was roasting the tires especially on the 1-2 shit, and a little bit in the 2-3. now the shift is still strong, but the tires won't spin. if i had drag tires, i wouldn't mind the extra aggressive 1-2 shift, but on conventional tires, that shifting was doing nothing but slowing the car down. Also keep in mind, all my TM switches are still like they came from the factory, the only thing i'm using is the TM adder/modifiers described above. if you have disabled them expecting a stronger shift, i don't know how the car would react. i like to have all those TM switches as they came from GM.

Since we can vary the amount of TM left during the shift per every gear, i've found 40% TM for the 1-2 shift to be the sweet spot for my tires/power levels, (which translated to engine timing is about 2-3* in my case right when the shift occurs) 19% TM left for the 2-3, and 10% TM for the 3-4 shift. This would vary with the car mods and tires selection of course.

I'm attaching a little excel spreadsheet i did to calculate the amount of trans TM i have during the upshift, it's very basic but it gets the job done. remember the % of TM represents an amount of timing reduction during the shift, but we don't know exactly how much, it varies depending on shift times, shift pressure and TM% per gear. start out at 50% TM working your way down and see where you find the settings you want.

Hope it helps
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 10-28-2010 at 09:32 AM.

2009 G8GT
    Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | IWIS Pro Timing Chain
    Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS
    1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Magnaflow 94106 Cats | Magnaflow 10791 X | Magnaflow 12226 Mufflers
    Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
    HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned
    7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60' Irwindale Dragstrip

Post Thanks / Like

Stuck, so I don't lose it.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that's some great info! I'll spend some time tinkering. thanks a bunch!
    2009 White Hot GT - vararam, ported TB & exhaust manifolds, HF cats, Pypes, UD pulley, HPT - 12.89 @ 108.55 - 1.94 -- 337hp/358tq

Post Thanks / Like

bluegoat,

I'm about to install some Kooks headers with no cats, I remember reading somewhere about what to do with the rear O2 sensors, now in HP can I turn them off completely or am I just unchecking the box so I wont get a SES light?

I assume I would disable the Catalyst test and the Post O2 test

also, as far as the tranny tune goes. Under the Engine tab and cutoff,DFCO there is a Commanded Torque table, have you messed with that at all?
    Last edited by bradshow; 10-28-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are there two engine TM max torque tabs? One is a max torque RPM vs gear 0-6400 rpm while the others are gear dependent and range from 0-3000 rpm. I've add 30% to my individual tables, but assume I might want to do something with the big "master" table even though all are factory set @ 0. I'm not pushing much power, but with 337/358 @ the wheels, it's more than stock.

Thanks for the tranny tip. I realize you need to slow down the shift enough to allow the TM to kick in. I was shifting so fast that my TM was engaging after the shift.

Post Thanks / Like

SO GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD. Thanks.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Can we get a how-to for disabling/reducing torque management the correct way!

Post Thanks / Like

Engine TM or Trans TM ?

2009 G8GT
    Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | IWIS Pro Timing Chain
    Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS
    1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Magnaflow 94106 Cats | Magnaflow 10791 X | Magnaflow 12226 Mufflers
    Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
    HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned
    7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60' Irwindale Dragstrip