Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel System

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel System - TOP TIER Gasoline Usage (Canada)

Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-022D

Date: July 26, 2007

INFORMATION

Subject:
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - Canada ONLY

Models:
    2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Canada Only)
    2008 and Prior Saab Vehicles (Canada Only)
    2008 and Prior Saturn Vehicles (Canada Only)
    2003-2008 HUMMER H2 (Canada Only)
    2006-2008 HUMMER H3 (Canada Only)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the information and include additional model years and sources to the TOP TIER Fuel Retailers list.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-022C (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). In the U.S., refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047G.

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by six automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" recommended by the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB). Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

Intake valve: 16,093 km (10,000 mi) with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

Intake valve: 16,093 km (10,000 mi) with Minimum Additive recommended by the CGSB

Top Tier Fuel Availability

Chevron was the first to offer TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline in Canada. Shell became the first national gasoline retailer to offer TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline across Canada. Petro-Canada began offering TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline nationally as of October 1, 2006. Sunoco began offering TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline in March of 2007.

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards

The following gasoline brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards in all octane grades:

Chevron Canada (markets in British Columbia and western Alberta)

Shell Canada (nationally)

Petro-Canada (nationally)

Sunoco-Canada (Ontario)

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency and no metallic additives. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies that exceed the detergent recommendations of Canadian standards and does not contain metallic additives, which can damage vehicle emission control components.

Where can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?

The TOP TIER program began in the U.S. and Canada on May 3, 2004. Some fuel marketers have already joined and introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by six automotive companies: BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. In the U.S., government regulations require that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In Canada, gasoline standards recommend adherence to U.S. detergency requirements but do not require it. In fact, many brands of gasoline in Canada do not contain any detergent additive. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required or recommended, and no metallic additives are allowed. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the six automotive companies join together to develope TOP TIER?

All six corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency and the intentional addition of metallic additives is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" recommended by Canadian standards. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and engine performance, and also provide reduced emissions. Also, the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

Who should use TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" recommended by Canadian standards. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. More information on TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline can be found at http://www.toptiergas.com/.

Information supplied courtesy of Alldatapro.com
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Is BP OK? John Wilson

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BP 93 is one of the best. I wish they had it in Texas.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BP 93 is the one I have used the most since getting a G8. Sometimes I use Shell 93.
    2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Fully Loaded, tinted, stock for now

Gone: 2008 G8 GT. Premium Package. 30%tint
    Vararam, HSRK, Vector ECM/TCM Tune, PM-Fl Axle Back

R.I.P. Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much run Sunoco 93 or 94.
    FORMER OWNER 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance
    http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...gger_name2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I became a fan of Chevron when I moved to BC, I don't put anything elce in my car other than Chevron and Shell. However, I see Petro Canada on that list and I just found out they offer 94 which makes them and Chevron the only 2 in Canada to offer non Ethanol 94. Sorry Shell...
    2008 MazdaSpeed 3 - A few Mods
    2009 Panther Black G8GT -
    VMS ECU/TCU Tune, Vararam Intake, FasterProms Ported Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT's mated to a Magnaflow catback with Magnaflow Spun Metallic Cats, & Powerbond UD Pulley

Post Thanks / Like

Everything here has "up to 10% ethanol". I use Chevron, Exxon and Mobil.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Shell V-Power 93 octane. Is there any additive you can use to get rid of those deposits on the intake valves?

2009 White Hot G8 GT (stock)

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,
    Ported Intake Manifold, Spohn Trailing Arms

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)

Post Thanks / Like

I run a tank of 89 then mix 91 and so on. My car runs great all the time. If I'm just going on a road trip I might just put in 87. If I do that I don't push it hard at all. Generally there is always some premium still in the tank so its probably alway in the 89 range anyway.