Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Air Temperature Relocation Kit Install On a V6

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intake Air Temperature Relocation Kit Install On a V6

Okay, So it's done!

Before I go into this, I just want to thank Marty ( G8 GT V8 ) for helping me with all of this and giving me guidance in uncharted waters. Our back and forth over the last few weeks has been very productive and his advice is the reason I was able to pull this off.

Just like our V8 brothers our MAF sits directly above our radiator hose, and since GM went to an integrated MAF (mass airflow sensor) and IAT (intake air temperature sensor) it is possible for our sensors to read the heat coming off the hose onto the MAF housing and potentially cause heatsoak. So, to rectify this I started thinking about how to relocate the IAT sensor. After seeing this article I was even more anxious to give this a try. We tried to explore this on the other forum, but then every thing went to hell with a jackass moderator there and I left before I could find help in exploring this further. Enter this board and Marty, shortly after arriving here I posted to another thread asking if this would be compatible with the V6. Marty got in touch with me, and we decided to give it a go. And here is how I did it:

The package arrived, and much to my surprise it was packaged very well. I was half expecting the kit to be haphazardly tossed in a box, but I should have known better.

After a cold pushed me back a weekend, I was back on it. But, now I ran into a problem neither Marty or I expected.

The top connector is the stock V6, the bottom is from Marty's kit. However, not a problem. Dremel to the rescue!!!

I cut notches into the top part of the connector so the tabs on the MAF would slide into the connector. I could have ground down the tabs on the MAF, but I was a little reluctant to alter the stock MAF. At this point I still didn't know if it worked, so better safe than sorry.

Next, time to drill the hole for the IAT. I used a 3/4 inch drill bit to drill the hole for the grommet.

I decided to place the IAT sensor down near the filter, it is the furthest place from most of the ambient engine heat.

So, after installing the rubber grommet and putting the IAT sensor in place, I mounted everything back up and tied my wires into place.

You'll have to excuse the ghetto intake bracket, it's a temporary solution until I can find something better.

Here is the IAT in place

So, with everything done it was time to fire it up! Here we go!

SUCCESS!! Everything came up normal, temps read great. And no codes. I only ran it for about 10 minutes, but if it weren't working I wouldn't have gotten a reading. So now, us V6 guys have a way to solve a potential HP robbing problem.

Again, thanks to Marty for helping me with this. And thanks this forum for making it so easy to make things like this happen. Do yourself a favor and shoot him ( G8 GT V8 ) a PM and get this kit! It is first rate and worth it if you are looking to avoid being robbed of any HP. Us V6 guys need all that we can get.
    Last edited by 66cat389; 09-10-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: My grammar sucks...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, great write up. Will the company that makes the kit (which is obviously for the V8) now make the required adaptions and sell one for the V6?
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to speak for G8 GTV8, but he might depending on demand. You never know. He can probably chime in to let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nelson,

Thanks for the nice write up, the kind words, and great pictures to show your progress. I'll certainly see what I can do to get a kit put together that would be a direct plug-n-play setup.

More to come...

Marty
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Just how much of a HP lost can take place with the OEM setup?

Post Thanks / Like

In my first post I referenced an article from from a Challenger forum where a guy used his dyno software to show he was losing about 20 FT/LB of torque due to heat soak. However, it seems the Challenger is a bit more dependent on it's IAT then the G8 is for readings. But still, using that as a gauge you can see how we could stand to lose at least 5 to 10 hp because of this. From what I understand, Heatsoak will also mess up your timing and can cause a decrease in MPG.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info. Please keep an eye on the MPG to see what gains are possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write-up Cat ! You notice any immediate difference on HP or TQ? I could care less about my MPG,it's all about performance for me.I believe i read somewhere this was done on a Camaro V6 and the 1/4 mile results were an improvement, just by a bit.Not sure if you would feel it or not but the temperature change has to be doing something.The colder the better! N1!!
    '09 LY7------------------------------->Traded for GXP.
    2.5" SS MBS GT Midpipe/Xpipe/V6Solo Muffs
    Fenderwell CAI/HSRK/Lower panal MOD
    BMR strut bar/tower caps
    GT Brakes/cross drilled&slotted rotors front&rear
    Pedders drop springs
    Roto-fab fuse box cover and rad cover both gloss black
    Tint 50/20,crystal clear markers
    G8 fuel lid/Calais trim/SV6 rebadge,sill plates
    Holden center caps,steering wheel,shifter
    LED Spyder tail lights,switchbacks,fogs,etc.../6K HID
    MM CF Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't really taken it out to see if there is any noticeable improvement. I wanted to today, but my wife kept adding things to my "honey do" list. I will take it out tomorrow and drive it for a bit with my laptop in the passenger seat to see if I notice any changes.

Post Thanks / Like

im scared to do it :X
    "Oreo" G8 V6 to LSA