Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P0449 cel

Post Thanks / Like

Umm, thanks, but no. It's not actually part of the canister (unless it ships with the canister) , and it's not under the gas tank. It is visible from the right rear fender well looking in at the canister. Yes, I finally found it. Looks like lowering the X-member will be the easiest way to gain access. I'll post a pic if I can ever find a replacement. What a PITA!
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to dealer parts guy, who cannot find a part number - nor the part. If it has a code, you would think it had a part number...
    gotta a PM to Greg@pace. HELP!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.

Post Thanks / Like

If its the vent valve your after, its part of the canister. There is a vin break. Upto 9L161209 use 92176969, after 9L161210 use 92221384. Trust me, I was a parts manager at a Caddy Dealer. Well Im still here and have access to all the goodies still.
    09 Liquid red G8GT
    VMS ecm/tcm 93 octane dyno tune
    8000k hid's
    Inalfa sunroof
    Mach Shorty, Solo HFC's, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's
    Rotofab cai & radiator cover
    BT from 09.5
    GXP fascia & diffuser
    BMR subframe connectors & bushings, diff bushings, trans brace, trailering arms
    13.207@107.11
    338 hp/337 tq

Post Thanks / Like

Looked very much like this. I won't have a opportunity to remove it until this weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

OK, There is light at the end of the tunnel. To all that have tried to help - Caddy parts guy, Greg@Pace, and all of the GM parts guys I have talked to - (I must have been the only G8 ever with this code), I thank you. The evap Vent Solenoid is indeed a separate piece than the canister. It is not in the G8 parts bin. The GTO one (and probably others, as 2 local dealers had this in stock) fits fine.
    [IMG][/IMG]

You can see that they are identical, in physical dimension and stampings.
    here is the part number off of the box. It cost me $41. I know that I could have got it for $32 but it's the only one I could find on the weekend.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I had to lower the right side of the rear cradle by loosening all 4 X-member bolts. A little prybar magic and I had enough room for my hands. I actually broke the old one apart trying to free it from it's bracket. This, however, gave me a better sightline to remove the part.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Look closely and you can see the canister further in about a foot from the vent.

I hope that this helps someone else. It was a major pain in the ass trying to find a part that no one thought existed! Sorry for the crappy dark pics, but you should get the idea.
    Cheers!!
    Last edited by todds87ss; 08-07-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: crappy dark pics

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting the same code and, of course, I'm out of the warranty with 55k miles. Did you test the valve in any way? I see the "currently dead" caption in one of your photos, but didn't see any other reference. I don't really want to go to the trouble unless I can be sure this is the problem, but for 40 bucks I may take the chance.
    Thanks for doing all of the leg work for the rest of us.

Post Thanks / Like

That caption was from a pic that I stole from the LS2 GTO guys. I tested it once I got it off. Resistance across the 2 terminals was infinate (open circuit). There really is no room to test it on car.

Post Thanks / Like

Dammit just got the same code.

I don't have the means to do this myself but thank god i only 20,000 miles on this car.
    -White Hot 2009 Pontiac G8 GT-

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fo sharing the info and pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mlozano View Post
    Dammit just got the same code.

I don't have the means to do this myself but thank god i only 20,000 miles on this car.
    Perhaps the info can point the dealership in the right direction.