Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum line routing

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Vacuum line routing

I had my manifold off this morning and got a bit confused on the vacuum lines. I THINK I got them right but if someone with a GT could verify on theirs I'd be highly grateful. Here's what I have:

Catch can:

Catch can upper to back of left (driver) valve cover

Catch can lower to right (passenger) side of manifold just behind throttle body

Vacuum switch thingy on right side front of engine (has red and blue wire connector):

top hose off thingy to back of engine near center

bottom hose off thingy to left (driver) side of manifold behind throttle body

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer your question but i bet CP can. I think i have seen those technical terms used on the Fosters beer commercials on how to speak Australian, lol.
    08 IOM GT 20x8.5 20x10 Breytons GTS, 1 7/8 Kooks, 3'' custom exhaust with side exit and cutouts all ceramic coated. 3600 Yank, 3.90 gears. Pedders XAs and bushings, custom rear lower control arms, full length frame connectors, bottom painted hot rod black with IOM suspension. 125 wet plate nitrous, 175 direct port with dedicated fuel system, FAST LSX intake, Meziere electric water pump. All lines converted to Hard SS or black braided. Vararam, remote oil filter, billet valve and coil covers, aluminum and carbon fiber engine panels custom stereo with eclipse amps and 12'' sub in custom box, billet alum/carbon fiber/plexiglass trunk floor. GTS fenders, Evolution nose and hood with custom scoop
    Started but not done: custom paint, custom interior with 4 GTS style seats.
    Not the fastest but close enough for Rock and Roll.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

back of left (driver) valve cover <----- this is where stale oily air comes out of a stock L76

right (passenger) side of manifold just behind throttle body <-------this is where stale air goes into the intake manifold

Vacuum switch thingy on right side front of engine (has red and blue wire connector): <----this is called the Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve.

top hose off thingy to back of engine near center <------ innermost hose goes back to fueltank area

bottom hose off thingy to left (driver) side of manifold behind throttle body <-----outermost hose has a 180 degree bend at both ends and can only go in that spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, I no longer have the factory formed hoses, mine are all silicone hoses. Does what I listed sound right?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes its sounds correct except I dont know which is in and which is out on your particular catchcan.
    Valve cover goes to IN of catchcan.
    OUT of catchcan goes to right side of intake manifold behind the TB

Post Thanks / Like

This is for a stock L76 (with no AFM hardware delete)

Manifold to EVAP solenoid valve [shown in Orange]

PCV

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Louise.
    Hahahaha I just looked at GM tech documents for 2008 Pontiac G8 L76, they have the PCV system drawn as the same as a pre 2001 LS1.
    ie Rear of both valve covers connected into a Y......runs forward to an External PCV valve and then into Intake.
    Fresh air line is shown as coming out of the Throttle Body.
    :FAIL: :SO WRONG:

On a more positive note they have the EVAP piping drawn correctly. (Items 3 & 7)

Last edited by Crazy Paul; 07-01-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul. Looks like I got it right! My top catch can hose is my inlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul, sorry to drag up an old thread. We've spoken before...I put an L76 into a VYII Commodore. I have a standalone harness and everything is working great, just looking to delete some unused clutter. I've pulled out the EVAP system and capped the vacuum line on the side of the throttle body already.

My PCV system runs from the right side rear of head (when standing in front of car, looking into engine bay) and crosses over to the left side of throttle body. I believe this is as per factory. However, the other dirty air line (left side of engine, just under fuel rail) has an open-ended tube and is not connected to anything. Do I just cap this off? See red circle in attachment, cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luciv6 View Post
    Hi Paul, sorry to drag up an old thread. We've spoken before...I put an L76 into a VYII Commodore. I have a standalone harness and everything is working great, just looking to delete some unused clutter. I've pulled out the EVAP system and capped the vacuum line on the side of the throttle body already.

My PCV system runs from the right side rear of head (when standing in front of car, looking into engine bay) and crosses over to the left side of throttle body. I believe this is as per factory. However, the other dirty air line (left side of engine, just under fuel rail) has an open-ended tube and is not connected to anything. Do I just cap this off? See red circle in attachment, cheers
    That line can be run to the air intake before the TB.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.