Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving thru rain storm and...

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are going to have an internet argument in Charlies forum? LOL

Curtis, the bog you feel with the Roto-Fab has been reported from quite a few owners. Some it went away after the ECM learned, some decided to have the car tuned.
    Drive it a couple weeks and see. Also, did you get a Heat Soak Reduction Kit? Highly recommended.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 06-29-2010 at 02:40 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    You guys are going to have an internet argument in Charlies forum? LOL

Curtis, the bog you feel with the Roto-Fab has been reported from quite a few owners. Some it went away after the ECM learned, some decided to have the car tuned.
    Drive it a couple weeks and see. Also, did you get a Heat Soak Reduction Kit? Highly recommended.
    This. Also, the Rotofab inlet sits high enough that you should actually be afraid to drive into the depth of water required to get sucked up into it. As far as tuners go, PM me if you would like some info on Hennessey's tuning/business practices. Do not be fooled by the amount of cool rides in any parking lot. That is no measure of a good tuner.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

3. Thanks jimmyban thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a Heat Soak Reduction Kit? I am new to some of the modifications you all have done to your cars. Still learning here and just need some good advice. Today it was acting up again about the same time as yesterday except no down pours just some light rain running up to Oklahoma.

Sounds like the guy in Victoria does a great tune and I get that way easy enough. I guess I would need to go by or call him.

Keep the good advice coming and thank you all.

Curtis
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

You could try disconnecting the battery cables for around 30 min. Hennessey should have, but you never know.
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    Hello Charlie,

I had Hennessey Performance install Corsa Exhaust and Roto-Fab today and after they finished I took off and about a hour or so I drove into a heave down pour and it seemed like it was bogging down bad.

I thought maybe the CAI was sucking water in and messing with the performance but I pulled into a gas station and opened the hood and all was dry in the intake.

Could it be there was so much water on the road that the exhaust was submerged and was making a drowning sound as I drove.

What do you think it could of been?

Thanks

Curtis
    Is it possible your hearing the Active Fuel Managment kicking it? You mentioned hearing a drowning sound while driving, did it come and go at a steady speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I could feel the AFM kicking in and the A/C kicking on and off also. I use the cruise a lot and the drowning sound did come and go when it was happening and today I was using the cruise since there was no heavy rain but yesterday I did not have the cruise on during the rain storm I was in.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    What is a Heat Soak Reduction Kit? I am new to some of the modifications you all have done to your cars. Still learning here and just need some good advice. Today it was acting up again about the same time as yesterday except no down pours just some light rain running up to Oklahoma.

Sounds like the guy in Victoria does a great tune and I get that way easy enough. I guess I would need to go by or call him.

Keep the good advice coming and thank you all.

Curtis
    Curtis, the HSRK is a intake air temp sensor that bypasses the one that's currently in your MAF. The MAF housing gets quite hot and the intake sensor in return gets heat soaked. Since it's no longer reporting correct intake air temps, it pulls timing and reduces performance. There are sensors for sale in the for sale forum. It gets in stalled away from the MAF therefore it doesn't get heat soaked, and you don't lose performance.
    If it's hot where you are, and you sit in traffic, you'll know what I mean by losing performance.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Curtis, the HSRK is a intake air temp sensor that bypasses the one that's currently in your MAF. The MAF housing gets quite hot and the intake sensor in return gets heat soaked. Since it's no longer reporting correct intake air temps, it pulls timing and reduces performance. There are sensors for sale in the for sale forum. It gets in stalled away from the MAF therefore it doesn't get heat soaked, and you don't lose performance.
    If it's hot where you are, and you sit in traffic, you'll know what I mean by losing performance.
    Thanks Ray, New info for me as well. Several questions, first, can this happen with the V6? Second, does the HSRK applicable to the V6? Third, are the current CAI mfgs. recommending as a mod prior to installation of the CAI?
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard of anyone installing an HSRK on the V6, and I don't think the one for the V8 is plug compatible with your MAF. It depends on the placement of the MAF, if it's close to the hot coolant hose like on the V8, then you could get heak soak. If it's not then you don't have anything to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from a trip to Oklahoma City and what you describe is not a afm drone like I thought, driving up Friday in pretty heavy rain it happened to me, it was louder than the afm drone, when I accelerated the drone and viberation got worse, let up off the throttle and drone went away, shifted into sport and manual mode didn't change anything. I couldn't pull off the interstate to check any thing and once I slowed down, it cleared up. I checked under the hood in OKC and there was water in the air box (I have a roto-fab also). I drove home today with no problems, I haven't had time to take it apart and inspect the pipes or anything, right now I'm thinking it was sucking up water, not good!