Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving thru rain storm and...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you had the same thing as I did and some of the other owners with the same set up. My intake was dry. I was detailing my engine Saturday and looked down where the stock air intake would go and there was water there from washing the car. I am wondering if that with so much water in a down pour that the deep water on the road and splashing cuts off the air for the intake. So the car would be like gasping for air in a down pour.

Just a thought.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    If it's hot where you are, and you sit in traffic, you'll know what I mean by losing performance.
    +1... When hot day outside, and after an hour or so of driving, the G8 doesn't run as strong as when first leaving my driveway.
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT-Magnetic Grey Metallic-Premium & Sport packages

MODS
    Show: GXP diffuser/Stubby antenna GO: Vararam intake

Post Thanks / Like

reference similar discussion in this thread. like I was saying I don't have a CAI at current, but I do have a Corsa cat-back and I have experienced this problem in severe rain storms. food for thought, it isn't the intake. I'm pretty sure its the exhaust system. either a result of being completely submerged, or intaking water somehow, or a combination of the above.

FWIW.
    2009 Maverick Silver Metallic G8 GT - sold...
    Go: Roto-Fab CAI & AFE ProDry S, CORSA catback, HP Tuners
    Show: BE Breyton GTS-AV's 19" Hyper Silver staggered with Bridgestone Potenza RE-760's 245/40 & 275/35, tint, partial debadge, VG Sharkfin antenna, Holden V8 6.0L fender badges

2012 Platinum Grey Metallic Volkswagen Jetta Highline TDi M6...

Post Thanks / Like

It reamins a mystery......
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pha|anx View Post
    reference similar discussion in this thread. like I was saying I don't have a CAI at current, but I do have a Corsa cat-back and I have experienced this problem in severe rain storms. food for thought, it isn't the intake. I'm pretty sure its the exhaust system. either a result of being completely submerged, or intaking water somehow, or a combination of the above.

FWIW.
    Yes, I've read several other discussions in which the corsa system makes wierd noises during heavy rain. Some have surmised it may be the bung for the 02 sensor contracting from the cold water splashing on it... creating a leak at that junction.

Corsa has yet to admit or address this as far as I am aware, but this is far from an isolated incident. I've read at least 6-7 reports of corsa rain loudness issues. Make that eight.

Good times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
    Yes, I've read several other discussions in which the corsa system makes wierd noises during heavy rain. Some have surmised it may be the bung for the 02 sensor contracting from the cold water splashing on it... creating a leak at that junction.

Corsa has yet to admit or address this as far as I am aware, but this is far from an isolated incident. I've read at least 6-7 reports of corsa rain loudness issues. Make that eight.
    I would think that this would drive a CEL on O2 code.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

I know but nothing on the dash when it happens.
    So I guess it is something we will have to live with or drive out of the way of rain storms.

Post Thanks / Like

For what its worth, I've had a similar experience that remains a mystery. Driving in very heavy rain the other day, my car seemed to lose a bit of power. Felt like I had to give the car a significant amount of throttle to keep my reduced pace for the conditions. It felt like the stability control was interfering, but I saw no warnings. The car may have been hydroplaning or close, hindsight. Once the rain let up a bit, car was back to normal. No water in the air intake. I have stock exhaust w/Pypes.
    2009.1 G8 GT - 2013 Surly Pugsley - 2011 Specialized S.J. Comp 29 - 2008 Cannondale six13 D1 - 9 others

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shredmo View Post
    For what its worth, I've had a similar experience that remains a mystery. Driving in very heavy rain the other day, my car seemed to lose a bit of power. Felt like I had to give the car a significant amount of throttle to keep my reduced pace for the conditions. It felt like the stability control was interfering, but I saw no warnings. The car may have been hydroplaning or close, hindsight. Once the rain let up a bit, car was back to normal. No water in the air intake. I have stock exhaust w/Pypes.
    Very curious. first non-Corsa case I've read of. WTF is wrong with these cars in the rain? I wonder if the V6'ers or Aussie's have any issues with different variations of the car in the rain...

2009 Maverick Silver Metallic G8 GT - sold...
    Go: Roto-Fab CAI & AFE ProDry S, CORSA catback, HP Tuners
    Show: BE Breyton GTS-AV's 19" Hyper Silver staggered with Bridgestone Potenza RE-760's 245/40 & 275/35, tint, partial debadge, VG Sharkfin antenna, Holden V8 6.0L fender badges

2012 Platinum Grey Metallic Volkswagen Jetta Highline TDi M6...

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure but it is sure strange.