Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Place To Purchase: Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick W-8930128

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=

More details please, was it Wurth?[/QUOTE]

Yep - Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick 75ml $10.95
    2009 MSM-Onyx G8, Premium Package, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound Package
    VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II, Pontiac Cargo Tray, Trunk Lid Liner, Auto Dim Mirror, Garmin 1450LMT
    , Mobil 1

Other Cars:
    2014 Terrain SLT
    2012 Malibu LT
    2009 Impala LS
    1967 Bonneville Convertible - Completely Original/No Restoration 56000 Original Miles No Winters NYS Car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4GASEM View Post
    I'd stay away from ANYTHING with Silicone in it. Sounds like the Wurth is silicone free which is good.

For anyone that may already have it, Adams VRT is also silicon free and works VERY well. (used it)

Chris
    Why do you consider silicone bad? I googled it and could not find a viable reason why silicone is harmful in any way to a car care product. In fact, this is what I found:

http://www.carcareadvice.co.uk/faq/t...licone-bad.htm

the third post here: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=7368

and copied from here:http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...19&section=_19

"The fear and confusion surrounding this single ingredient, silicone, is an ongoing problem people run into when they get caught up in the hype and misinformation spread from person to person, generation to generation and now-a-days, on the internet, which exaggerates the problems surrounding the use of silicones in car care products.

There are some sources that even go so far to say that silicones are harmful to paint. This is not only dishonest; it calls into question the credibility of that resource and any and all claims they make. Silicone is inert. It cannot harm paint, let alone anything else it is formulated into, or sitting on top of, especially in the form of a coating of wax."

2012 G8 GONE Bracket Champ!

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT-VMS stage 1.5 cam & Pat G tune, Kooks 1 3/4" LTs w/cats to Corsa catback, VCM intake. 427RWHP, 401RWTQ
    Eibach springs, FE3, BMR Sways, links & toe rods
    Audison Bit-One, JL Audio-500/5, 500/1, ZR800, 10w3v3(x2), Boston Z6, JHP Triple gauges
    TSW Indy 500 staggered w/Nitto Invo (285 rear), GXP diffuser, Roto-Fab engine covers

Post Thanks / Like

(EDIT) Ooops, Just read your were looking in stores, I've never seen it in a store. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...paign=08930128

Post Thanks / Like

This pretty much says it all IMO...

Problem is... What does the product you use with silicone have? Good or bad?

Ever see peoples tires that are brown? I see it all the time. It comes from silicone use.

Is silicone bad? I'm not sure... I've seen some bad results from people who used products like armor-all for years though.

I like the silicone free products that offer an SPF.

I like to play it safe.

Adams has silicone in their polishes. EVERYONE does. It's part of the polymers they use.

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't use a specific tire dressing, although I have used them in the past, but very sparingly. I'd rather have a very clean like new looking tire. Wesley's bleach white takes care of that.

I always thought it was the thick, gel-like tire dressings that attracted dirt and went brown. Silicone itself doesn't turn brown, it is either milky white or clear and non-reactive to oxidants. Its the formulations that leave a thick greasy film that attract dirt, especially brake dust. whether or not they contain silicone I don't think has any effect regarding browning/oxidizing. It may be the carrier solvents or emulsifiers used to include silicone, but those are often used in formulas without silicone as well. Besides that, oxidized rubber is carbon black, not brown in my experience.

I do, however use a pure silicone spray to clean and lube rubber door seals and weatherstripping. Works great, no browning.
    Last edited by Tommy G; 07-08-2010 at 04:37 AM.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT-VMS stage 1.5 cam & Pat G tune, Kooks 1 3/4" LTs w/cats to Corsa catback, VCM intake. 427RWHP, 401RWTQ
    Audison Bit-One, JL Audio-500/5, 500/1, ZR800, 10w3v3(x2), Boston Z6, JHP Triple gauges
    TSW Indy 500 staggered w/Nitto Invo (285 rear), GXP diffuser, Roto-Fab engine covers

Post Thanks / Like

That's what's great about this country... We can all do what we want.

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The owner's manual says to use silicone grease on the weatherstrips. I've never had an issue with the weatherstripping after using it.
    2009 G8 GT::Panther Black

Post Thanks / Like

Ok the below info came from a guy in the industry. I believe this to be true and factual. IMO it makes the most sense of anything I've read.

The problem most typically associated with it in the past is that products containing silicone also contained alcohol to dry the product out, the side effect was that it also dried out the material which it was sitting on, for example your dash. This would lead to cracking, discoloration, peeling, etc.

Silicone itself isn't that bad, but it does attract lots of dirt, is difficult to remove etc. It also in a lot of forms tends to be greasy, slippery, and very shiny. Most of your ULTRA high gloss tire shines have tons of silicone in them. The browning comes from the product being used over time, seeping into the surface, and attracting dirt. If its cleaned off regularly and reapplied its not an issue, but continual reapplications can be trouble.

Make sense?

Silicone isn't the DEVIL, if used in proper context it has its place, but problems arise when its used incorrectly or in excess.
    I'll stay away from it for the dirt aspect. Also because it offers NO SPF to keep the rubber in A1 condition for years. There are several good quality (read pricey) dressings out there that offer silicone free AND an SPF. Adams Super VRT is only one of them. It's water based AND water resistant which means it beads off the water and doesn't attract dust all while offering an SPF of around 40. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Silicone IS a no-no around body shops though. You won't find a can of it in any good shops and not at all environmentally friendly.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense to me. It was kinda what I was saying anyway. I only really use a very light application of Meg's LRV on a rare occasion after deep cleaning. It does attract some dust, not bad, and it cleans off easily. Don't really care too much about a SPF on tires, They wont last long on my car anyways, lol.

Adams looks like good stuff though, I may try it someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy G View Post
    Makes sense to me. It was kinda what I was saying anyway. I only really use a very light application of Meg's LRV on a rare occasion after deep cleaning. It does attract some dust, not bad, and it cleans off easily. Don't really care too much about a SPF on tires, They wont last long on my car anyways, lol.

Adams looks like good stuff though, I may try it someday.
    I offer this all the time... If you want to try something, let me know. I have at least one of everything he sells. It's NOT snake oil. It's damn good stuff with an amazing guarantee and they're there to help you too!

With the SVRT I notice NO issues with dirt. It's a VERY low sheen which makes everything just POP!

As for SPF on the tires... Nah... I'm talking for all the trim pieces and interior pieces. The leather conditioner has an SPF of 60.

Chris