Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cam Swap Done!!! Insight, Advice found within...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cam Swap Done!!! Insight, Advice found within...

Grrrr8 Board -

First and foremost... thank you Charlie. I owe this swap from a motivational standpoint to Gr8Lover, but from a technical standpoint, he came through time and time again. I think there were no less than 30 PMs back and forth, most answered in less than five minutes. Outstanding. The majority of the "tech" info here is actually from his PMs, I take no credit for it, but wanted to save him some PM response time! Also, in general, thank you Grrrr8 board for insight, dipstick pics, etc. True lifesavers!

Yesterday evening I buttoned up my cam swap, I get it tuned next Sunday. I went with a pretty mild cam, but still swapped out all DoD parts and installed a set of ARH 1 7/8 headers. I already have a Rotofab intake and HSRK.

Here are the pointers as I can think of them...

Cost/Tools... If you're doing this yourself, it'll be pricier than you think when you factor tools and consumables! You need at LEAST two torque wrenches, one for in/lbs and one for ft/lbs and potentially a high capacity one for the crank bolt. This will add up. Obviously you'll need a good socket set in metric with standard and deep well. You will need a LARGE socket for the crank bolt, and a different LARGE socket for the stock bolt, as well as a breaker bar, of course. A set of wratcheting wrenches in the common metric sizes is great. I bought a two sided duralast set that worked perfect as it was eight total sizes in all and came in VERY handy. You will need extensions and angle bits. You will need lockjaw pliers, a set of picks. You will need 2 gal of 50/50 dexcool water mix. You will need break-in oil and filter. You'll need an additive with plenty of zinc content, like Lucas Oil breakin w/Zinc. You need plugs for any leaking fuel or trans lines you disconnect.

Install Basics... As has been previously stated, take pictures of EVERYTHING YOU DO. Keep plastic bags and a sharpie to label any and all screws you remove. This made reassembly extremely straightforward.

Nothing has to be forced... NOTHING. The hardest parts were the oil pump physically off of the pickup tube and harmonic balancer. Otherwise, nothing requires a ton of force. If you're forcing, STOP.

Check all parts before you remove... there are harnesses behind, grounding straps, air tubes all connected to the back of the heads/block.

If you're doing headers, you have to loosen the steering knuckle... be careful not to turn/push that too much.

Clean all parts before reinstall... gently. For the heads and gasket surfaces, use a razor at an angle to ensure you don't scratch them at all and only remove extra gasket material.

Use a torch or oven on harmonic dampener. If using the ARP bolt, remove the washer to get it started, but only once it has slid on... do not rely on a bolt to actual get it on the crank.

Pickup tube... not as difficult, but you have to be patient and work carefully. If you choose to take apart the oil pump, you MUST be aware of how you take it apart and ensure it goes back together the same way (front gear facing front before and after, you CAN flop them around backwards but you SHOULD NOT). Also, when you go to start the car the first time... leave the distributors unhooked and crank the car 15seconds 3 times while holding the pedal to the floor. This will prime all oil passages and the injectors wont fire because the pedal is to the floor. Also, during reassembly, put some RTV at the bottom corners of the front cover where it meets the block.

Be extremely careful when pulling out the cam. I removed the radiator, fans, but left the condenser. This required me to bend the condenser forward quite a ways. Be careful when you do this and work quickly to reduce any strain.

Torque values are extremely important... follow them! If you use ARP fasteners, they have their own moly to use, USE IT, and follow their torque values. I used ARP for head bolts, cam sprocket, valley plate, intake, crank bolt. ALSO, USE A THREAD CHASER. You can use the ARP ( I did ) or make your own with a bolt with a channel ground into it. I will tell you that the ARP is worth the cash... after I tried both methods... I used an air compressor to blow out the holes. The ones where I used a bolt were consistently more dirty than the ones with the ARP chaser.

Problem Areas... In no particular order...
    Dipstick. I had to really work with this for some reason. I ended up having to run it between the 1/2 primaries at an angle towards the front of the car. I had to fabricate a bracket that set the dipstick support 1in out and 1in up but it works well. Be careful to not damage the oring going in and out for a test fit. I took the oring off during the testing and replaced it right before the last time it went on.

Oil Pan. I may have a slight drip at the rear of the oil pan. All I can say is be VERY careful when lowering the pan and take GREAT care to use the proper torque specs for each of the bolts when remounting... there are three different values... the pan bolts, the pan to rear bolts, and the bellhousing bolts. Also, there is a main power run that runs under the front of the pan. It is held in place by two brackets... one on the left of the pan with a bolt to the block. The other is a bracket that also holds 2 a/c compressor lines... unscrew the nut that holds the a/c lines and then you can remove the stud that holds the power line in place. Makes removing those from bolts easier.

Oil Pickup Tube. I didn't have too much of an issue here... just go slow. When you get the screw out, you will have to "wiggle" the oil pump towards you... this does require some force... but dont get to yankin on it! You'll be surprised how easy it is when it pops off. Inspect the oring for damage.

Exhaust Height. In order to get your ARH system mounted like a champ, do everything loosely, but then tighten headers, rear at axle flanges, slip fittings. Leave balljoints loose. Place a jack under area just behind the balljoints and jack up the exhaust. Now take the flanges and when looking forward from the rear put the screws at 7oclock and 1clock and put the passenger side at 11oclock and 5oclock. Tighten the tops first and the bottoms last. Now go to each clamp... at collectors and after ball joints, loosen and retighten. When you drop the jack, you'll have the fit and clearance you need.

Refill and start up. Put in oil, measure as you go. Add any additive halfway through oil fill. Fill radiator with dexcool then add some to the reserve tank. While watching the radiator, pump the tubes to choke any air out of the system and see if the fluid in the radiator drops. Watch temps VERY closely on startup. Ignore light smoke... as BobtheMonkee said, it's just fingerprints and fluids burning off. For cam break-in, Comp recommends 30 minutes at 2k rpm... I was able to get ten minutes in before overheating and being VERY angry at myself over a coolant mistake. Once fixed, I took a highway drive and kept it at 65mph in 5th @ 2k for 60 miles.

Thats all I can think of now. If anyone wants to tackle this project, please feel free to PM me... I have tons of pics, available on request!

Again, thank you everyone for your help and insight here. I truly appreciate the support of this board, and specifically those that offered insight... the most from Charlie himself!
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up. I am sure I will be asking for some pics later down the road.
    2008 MGM GT. Patrick G spec'd 222/226 .597”/.605” 115LSA +3 cam, Ported TB, Ported Manifold, 25% PB UDP, 180* Tstat, Vararam w/HSRK, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, X w/cats and muffs, GXP Diffuser, B Splitter, 6000K HID's, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side,Rear Markers and Tails, 15% Window Tint, Blackedout Chrome, Ghost Stripes, G2 Red Calipers

Post Thanks / Like

Great post!
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe I missed it by why did you take the oil pump off? Did you swap pumps or replace the spring?

Nice writeup though. I was unaware that holding the accelerator pedal to the floor shut off the injctors. Cool.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write up!

I'm glad you didn't have any trouble with the oil pickup tube. That was a total b!tch for me. It could be because I have sausage fingers. I had about 2 hours alone in messing with that, not to mention the huge blister on the side of my index finger (i was wearing gloves too).

I had to disconnect the steering knuckle to get the headers on/off. If you do that, make an alignment mark so when you reassemble your steering wheel is straight.

One other thing that is very important and is common sense but should not be overlooked is to protect your paint. If you are like me and get really focused on what you are doing, it is easy to make stupid mistakes by overlooking the obvious. I wrapped the front on my car in movers blanket because I knew that I would start getting tired and careless. I did mine by myself and I told myself that if I became tired or frustrated I would stop and pick it up again later. That worked well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add two extremely important safety pieces...

Hands - get a $20 pair of even lightweight mechanics gloves... they'll save you from some serious cuts.

Eyes - I got back from the eye doctor ten minutes ago after my eye was irritated and bloodshot yesterday. Turns out while using the dremel to create that bracket for the oil tube, I shot a small piece of metal into my eye... it rolled around for 24hours before getting lodged in a way that started to irritate my eye. There is a potential for long-term, vision-altering scarring from both the original damage from the piece and the tools they used to remove it. Please take the five dollars and five minutes to get and use eye protection when doing ANYTHING that could sling tiny abrasive particles into the air. It's cheap insurance, I will never touch the dremel, drill, or saw again without putting on safety glasses. I know it sounds "hokey" but please learn from my mistake. You can replace a pickup tube oring, a wrecked oil dipstick... there are parts of YOU, however, that are invaluable.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8Smitty View Post

I did mine by myself and I told myself that if I became tired or frustrated I would stop and pick it up again later. That worked well for me.
    This!
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo... how does it drive?
    2011 Mustang Gt 5.0 Auto - Houston Stock

09 PSM G8 GT - Loved but sold
    92 Mustang GT H/C/I boltons - garage ornament

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats again! No problem on all the PMs. That's what I am here for.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Drives good. I didn't really get on it because its not tuned yet. I will tell you one of my first thoughts was... I'm gonna need better brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveoh View Post
    Sooo... how does it drive?
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8