Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underhood Lighting DIY w/ Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Underhood Lighting DIY w/ Pics

I never understood why there was no underhood light on the G8, so I decided to make one myself. (I'm a big fan of inexpensive, functional modifications.) The pictures below are a work in progress, so keep that in mind, please.

Here is a picture of underhood, taken only by the light of the underhood light itself. There are 2 lights in this picture, a white one on the hood, and a red one near the firewall. The red one will probably be replaced with white in the future - it was just an experiment. You will get plenty of light from just this hood light mod, the firewall lights are unnecessary.

IMG_1291..JPG

In order to avoid glare, I mounted the underhood light behind the rubber seal strip on the hood - this gets the light up high for better illumination and allows the use of a relatively large light strip.

IMG_1301..JPG

To avoid having to use a manual switch, I used an mercury switch instead to turn on the lights when the hood is raised.

IMG_1305..JPG

Parts List -

LED Light Strip - search eBay for '72 cm 72 LED white" - here is one chosen at random - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-S...#ht_5298wt_927 - $7 shipped

Mercury Switch - you are on your own for this - I happened to have one in the junk drawer - Mercury switches are increasingly hard to find because mercury is so Evil for the Environment. You can substitute a solid state tilt switch available at most electronic parts suppliers, or a manual switch.

Mini Inline Fuse Holder - most Auto Parts Stores

Corrugated Wiring tubing - small

Double Sided Foam Sticky Tape - used to mount the LEDs

Ring Terminal Crimp Connector - used to provide power (1/4 inside diameter hole)

Wiring, Crimp Connectors, Electrical Tape, etc.

Please read the instructions first before attempting.

1. Figure out which wire from the LEDs is positive. The LEDs will only work when connected correctly. Connecting them backwards won't hurt anything, they just won't work.

2. Mount the LEDs - straighten out the LED strip and apply the foam tape to the back side. The tape will be wider than the LED strip, so trim to fit. Center the LEDs behind the rubber hood seal and press into place with the LEDs pointing down.

3. Extend the LED wires using your spare wire - long enough to reach to the underhood jumper cable attachment point. Conceal the wires behind the hood blanket where possible. Use corrugated wiring tubing for a professional look.

4. The power comes from the underhood jumper cable attachment point. Remove the round cover and then remove the red cover from the attachment point - pry carefully and it will come off. It helps to use multiple screwdrivers to hold the cover away from the clips.

5. Attach a ring terminal to one end of the inline fuse holder. Unscrew the jumper cable attachment point (it is just a fat bolt, after all), place the ring terminal under it, and screw it back down. Feed the wire out the back of the attachment point and replace both covers. You now have unswitched fused power available under the hood. (Since I have other uses for that power, I attached the other end of the inline fuse to a junction block I mounted under the hood - this step is not necessary, but will come in handy in the future).

5. Mount the Mercury switch or manual switch if that is what you are using. I mounted the mercury switch to the bottom end of the hood strut rod using 2 tie wraps.

6. Take the fuse out of the inline fuse holder.

7. Do the wiring. The safest route is: from the inline fuse to the mercury switch, out of the mercury switch to the positive LED wire (from #1 above), out of the negative LED wire to a chassis ground. (The nearest chassis ground to where you are working is the horn mounting bracket). Use another crimp ring terminal so it looks like you know what you are doing.

8. Doublecheck the connections and then replace the fuse in the fuseholder. Check for function.

Enjoy! You will probably be surprised how bright it is. This can also be done with a shorter LED strip than the one I used, but a little overkill never hurt anyone
    2008 MGM G8 GT - #615 of 888 - Premium/Sport - 12.6 @ 111 on stock tires

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

Post Thanks / Like

nice write up Tom
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks maybe Ill try it.
    09 Liquid red G8GT
    VMS ecm/tcm 93 octane dyno tune
    8000k hid's
    Inalfa sunroof
    Mach Shorty, Solo HFC's, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's
    Rotofab cai & radiator cover
    BT from 09.5
    GXP fascia & diffuser
    BMR subframe connectors & bushings, diff bushings, trans brace, trailering arms
    13.207@107.11
    338 hp/337 tq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mi04se1 View Post
    Thanks maybe Ill try it.

"Do or do not - there is no try"

Jedi Master Yoda - Episode V

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what i need. Gonna find some leds...
    ________________ _
    '08 G8... Panther Black
    Premium & Sport Pkg.- 7/08

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great idea, I've been wondering what to do with the led strips I have. Thanks.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomPierce View Post
    "Do or do not - there is no try"

Jedi Master Yoda - Episode V

Exactly! I tell my kids this all the time. They don't like me much. LOL.

By the way. I love this mod idea. Great job. I hate not having a light under the hood. I will be doing this.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

2009 G8 GT, MSM/Onyx, Prem, Mods: few......Dozen

Post Thanks / Like

I just order some led lights that can be turned on and off by remote for $25. It also has 15 modes of knight rider lights. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25-54...Q5fAccessories
    2008 PBM Pontiac G8 GT | 11.74 @ 117.3 mph

**My G8 is Currently For Sale. Click Here for Thread**

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Tom.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys. Hope it provides some good ideas for you.