Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Performance Exhaust Kit (Axle-back and others)

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if the intakes and tunes have anything to do with the adjustments that need to be made. Intake probably doesn't make any to very little difference, but would the tune have anything to do with different resonances that are coming from the engine? I really need to get my car back out on the highway....live around DC, it isn't always easy to get it up to 75.
    CCG8CC

2009.1 PACIFIC SLATE G8 GT
    Rotofab Intake / Billet Prototypes Catch-Can / Cortex 93 Rotofab Tune / VG Shark Fin Antenna / Solo Performance Axle-Backs - 3.5" Tips / GXP Diffuser / 35% Tint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kje141 View Post
    I have/had the same issue with the AFM. Haven't been able to get it back out on the highway, but I have my J-pipes set to 8". They come factory set to 9" (measurement from the end of the capped piece to where the bend begins). Had to actually cut some material off of the end of the capped pieces so I could get it to slide in further to get to 8". With them trimmed a bit I can fully adjust between 8-10". The AFM around the 50mph area seemed much more subdued. Will be interesting to see what it does at the 74 mph range. Worst case I will use my Cortex to turn off the AFM if I can't get it to a better sound level.
    Several people have mentioned that adjusting the J pipes does not help the AFM noise....this is what I have experienced as well. I played around with different lenghts on the J's and gave up so I just tuned it out. I have the RF CAI and Cortex as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGT5 View Post
    Several people have mentioned that adjusting the J pipes does not help the AFM noise....this is what I have experienced as well. I played around with different lenghts on the J's and gave up so I just tuned it out. I have the RF CAI and Cortex as well.
    Agreed. The J pipes that come on the SOLO systems target the v8 "drone" between 1800-2200rpm. The J's would have to be twice as long (good luck fitting THAT under the rear of your car) to target the v4 mode... I couldn't imagine what a dual-dual-J's (one set of two to cancel out the v8 drone, another set to cancel out the v4 drone) would look like under our cars .... talk about a piping nightmare!

I too have my v4 mode tuned out and it's music to my ears.

Good times.

Post Thanks / Like

So let me ask this, on a bone stock G8GT.... I know, wife wont let me do anything , was lucky to even get the car!! when on AFM mode, the axle back with the J's will produce drone at highway speeds.... This was the one thing she would let me due, but I do Hwy commute and at times have kids in the car and dont want to make it unbearable for them.
    08 GT MGM Onyx/Red Premium
    Winter 225/55/17
    Summer 245/40/19
    Kook Mids, Green Cats and Solo Mach Unbalanced
    RotoFab
    Maverick Man CF Spoiler
    Tuned by East Coast Superchargers

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that I would call the sound UNBEARABLE. Its noticeable though. Your workarounds to eliminate it would be to secretly buy a Cortex tuner which allows you to disable, or flip over to manual mode while you are out on the highway, that disables AFM as well.
    CCG8CC

Rotofab Intake / Billet Prototypes Catch-Can / Cortex 93 Rotofab Tune / VG Shark Fin Antenna / Solo Performance Axle-Backs - 3.5" Tips / GXP Diffuser / 35% Tint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    So let me ask this, on a bone stock G8GT.... I know, wife wont let me do anything , was lucky to even get the car!! when on AFM mode, the axle back with the J's will produce drone at highway speeds.... This was the one thing she would let me due, but I do Hwy commute and at times have kids in the car and dont want to make it unbearable for them.
    I wouldn't describe the tone that the AFM makes as drone. It's more like a really low rumble or bass frequency. It can get annoying on long drives and the people in the back seat will notice the sound. The best way to disable the AFM noise would be just thorw it into manual mode. The AFM noise will stop, then when you're city driving just slap in back into regular drive mode. This is what I do. For me at least, the AFM noise really only gets loud from about 68-74 mph.

I do like the idea of secretly buying the cortex without the wife knowing and tuning the AFM off though.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Post Thanks / Like

^This

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
    I wouldn't describe the tone that the AFM makes as drone. It's more like a really low rumble or bass frequency. It can get annoying on long drives and the people in the back seat will notice the sound. The best way to disable the AFM noise would be just thorw it into manual mode. The AFM noise will stop, then when you're city driving just slap in back into regular drive mode. This is what I do. For me at least, the AFM noise really only gets loud from about 68-74 mph.

I do like the idea of secretly buying the cortex without the wife knowing and tuning the AFM off though.
    So if i primarily drive 80mph i shouldn't have as much of an issue?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Mods- Clear Corners, GXP diffuser, VG shark fin antenna, Twin 3.5 Inch exhaust tips, 20% 3M Tint on sides and back, 50% on windshield, Spencers 6000k HID low beam kit...
    Babied with Adams polish!
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3842249/1

Up next-Sell my car!!!

1 of 3,681!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demos-Analem-Kratos View Post
    So if i primarily drive 80mph i shouldn't have as much of an issue?
    Around town I never hear the noise at all, and for me it wasn't necessarily the speed that I was driving cause it happened when I was up at 85mph, it flips on when your foot isn't in the gas. Best way to describe it would be, set your cruise at 72. Now you are cruising along, when you are going up a hill with cruise you don't hear it, as soon as you get over that peak and go down a grade that doesn't require much from the engine it turns on like a light switch.

So now I suppose your options are the secret Cortex, flip to manual mode, or keep your foot in the gas all the time. Tickets might start getting expensive.
    CCG8CC

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's definition of drone is different I guess. In my eyes, it is drone. My definition of drone is a constant, annoying exhaust note at cruising speed. Yes, it is very deep, but it is still annoying and noticeable, so for me, it drones with AFM active above 68mph. If you cruised at 80mph, it'll be worse when it is engaged. My wife actually hasn't said anything to my surprise...but I took it down a long trip alone and I had to throw it in manual mode after awhile.

Is it unbearable, no. Can you carry a conversation, yes quite easily. To me, it is well worth the sacrifice because the 8cyl note is just damn good. I have a 2 year old daughter who still manages to fall asleep in the back seat with AFM engaged at highway speeds so it is still family friendly. It isn't a knock on Solo's part, I just don't think you can get 8cyl and 4cyl to both sound this good.

I'm not sure how Corsa compares, but from what I've been told, it isn't as loud as the Solo axleback overall. I don't do much driving above 68mph anyway so this is a perfect fit. If I did, I would just tune out AFM. The sound is worth it.
    Last edited by majesticix; 05-06-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    2008 G8 GT #509 of 888 - Ignition Orange
    Performance: NEP OTR Intake, NEP Custom ECM/TCM Tune, VMS HSRK, Solo J-pipe Axle-back and X-pipe
    Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01
    www.fourdoormafia.com