Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Intake Cover Removal

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Loosen the outer bolts working your way to the center. Only remove the 4 long bolts in rear with the black brackets (8mm socket). Then take off the 4 10mm studs that hold fuel rail. Disconnect the black plastic tube that goes to drivers rear valve cover. Remove injector harness push in black hold downs from fuel rail. I did not unplug any electrical connections. Carefully take a long screwdriver and lightly pry up at the base of front injectors on both sides, then do the same at the rear. Lift fuel rail enough to slide cover out the front. Now take pcv tube to drivers side valve cover and carefully slide under fuel rail and carefully install fuel rail making sure all injectors are in their holes before pressing down. The pcv hose now is very neat. Torque all bolts 1st step 44in lb from center out and repeat 2nd step at 89in lb.

2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie,
    In my Grand Prix days I had a 2004 GTP Comp G. There were some problems when guys removed the injectors. If they did not replace the o-rings they would eventually leak and there were a number of fires.

We alsways replaced the o-rings, did any injector work only on cold motors and relieved the pressure before removing injectors.

Any concerns about the G8 along thse lines?

I assume you would want to do the intake cover removal on a cold engine anyway because of re-torquing the intake manifold, right?
    Last edited by G8V8; 11-02-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads
    TVS1900
    RCR Lunati 215/223 .609/.615 112+0
    RCR TB
    Kooks 1 7/8 Mids+SOLO Mach
    Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilover Track II w/ STB
    BMR Adj LCA, Toe links & trailing arms
    ZL1 Brakes
    Circle_D built 6L80E. 3.27 diff
    Roto-Fab
    Crazy Paul 5-Gauge Pod / Speedhut Gauges

Post Thanks / Like

The problem on the 3800 supercharged was techs would not get the injetors line up and nick the orings on the aluminum intake. We have a plastic intake. If you take your time, no issues at all. 0. Nada.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

cold engine is better for re-torquing, right?
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads
    TVS1900
    RCR Lunati 215/223 .609/.615 112+0
    RCR TB
    Kooks 1 7/8 Mids+SOLO Mach
    Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilover Track II w/ STB
    BMR Adj LCA, Toe links & trailing arms
    ZL1 Brakes
    Circle_D built 6L80E. 3.27 diff
    Roto-Fab
    Crazy Paul 5-Gauge Pod / Speedhut Gauges

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. Just so most of you know a lot of common sense goes a long way with DIY projects. If it does seem right, its not. If it feels like its gonna break, it will and so on. If we get to these points in a project, put the wrench down and open the lap top and ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the forum open when I did mine at the muffler shop in town. My injectors pressed back in with just a little effort.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

<div>
    (G8 Ray @ Aug. 12 2008,9:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had the forum open when I did mine at the muffler shop in town. My injectors pressed back in with just a little effort.</div>
    Did you find my post was detailed enough to DIY or was there some gray areas?

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not need to remove the harness clips. In fact the first few times I read that, I couldn&#39;t figure out what you were talking about.

I was sliding the cover out and looked at the harness and said, "that&#39;s what he meant&#33;".

lol
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

My harness was real tight. I just did it to make sure. I would say if the rail gives you ample space to slide it out, skip it. If not unclip them.

Post Thanks / Like

My torque wrench was in foot lbs. not INCH lbs. Works out to about 7 1/2 Foot Lbs. (NOT VERY TIGHT&#33 Glad I read Charlie&#39;s detailed post on how to remove and checked the conversion factor on the internet (divide by 12).

EAZY as PIE&#33;

RRM

- Not ready for prime time mechanix&#33;-
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp