Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel offsets explained...also, OEM offsets listed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheel offsets explained...also, OEM offsets listed

I copied and pasted this from another site to here as I was looking for a definition. Many people say that BMW wheels will bolt on to our cars but I noticed their offset tends to be 15-20 where as ours is 35-40. Looking at this definition allows me to assume that it would probably work but the wheels would be inset into the car more than the stockers. Being that the bolt pattern from a 2005 530i is the same but has a bit of a different back spacing and offset I believe (without trying) that the BMW wheels WILL fit.

To start things off, I’d like to get a few definitions out of the way.

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel and for some ungodly reason is usually measured in mm. the offset can be one of three types.

Zero offset - the hub mounting surface is even with the center line of the wheel.

Positive offset - the hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel.

Negative offset - the hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels center line.

Backspacing of a wheel is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the rear outer most edge of the wheel.

Front spacing is a term not used too often, but is a term I like when discussing a wheels ability to tuck. It is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the front outer most edge of the wheel.

As an example I’m going to use a wheel that is 20x8.5 with a +19mm offset as this seems to be a pretty common size.

The first thing you have to understand is that actual wheel width is about 1 inch wider than stated, so a wheel that is 20x8.5 in actuality measures 9.50 inches wide. That being said the center line of the wheel, +0.00mm offset, is the same as 4.75in backspacing/front spacing.

9.50in/ 2 = 4.75

Now to get the offset from metric to a more understandable unit of measure (inches), we are going to divide it by 25.4. This number is a constant as there are 25.4 mm in an inch.

19mm/25.4 = 0.7480314in

For practical reasons, we’ll round up to 0.75in. Since we already established that our center line is 4.75, and we are dealing with a positive offset, we are going to add 0.75 in to 4.75 to give us a wheel backspacing of 5.50 inches. This in turn will allow us to figure up the wheel front spacing by simply subtracting the wheel backspacing from the overall wheel width giving us 4.00 inches.

To find to total backspacing/ front spacing, we are going to apply the same principle we did to find wheel backspacing/ front spacing.

The new center line of the tire/ wheel combo is 5.05. we found this by dividing 10.1 by 2. Again we are dealing with a positive offset, so you add the 1.25 offset to the center line to get a total backspacing of 6.3 in.

(10.1/ 2) + 1.25 = 6.3 in

This will let us find our total front spacing by subtracting the backspacing from the tire width.

10.1 – 6.3 = 3.8 in

Since the 3.8 inch total front spacing is less than 4, you should have no problems tucking this wheel/ tire combo. You can of course get around the 4 inch limit by rolling or trimming your fenders.

*note – you should take measurements when possible. these numbers are close, but not necessarily exact

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I found a good wheel offset calculator that should help people with any questions relating to offset.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
    Last edited by 99-LS1-SS; 12-15-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LDV60 View Post
    So, found the details.

OEM HSV sizes are:

Fronts - 19 x 8", 5 x 120, +48

Rears - 19 x 9.5", 5 x 120, +57
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to LDV60, I think we know what offsets to use now.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

So knowing the offsets, and looking at our sister car from the UK Vauxhaul VXR8 which comes with these tires standard , 245/40 R 19 front and 275/35 R 19 rear , if we go with the above offsets, should clear with aftermarket wheels. my car has not been lowered so all being said, should be a straight bolt on with no clearance issues? Just want to be sure as I am getting my summer wish list of SUmmer RIms and tires and CAI funds ready
    08 GT MGM Onyx/Red Premium
    Winter 225/55/17
    Summer 245/40/19
    Kook Mids, Green Cats and Solo Mach Unbalanced
    RotoFab
    Maverick Man CF Spoiler
    Tuned by East Coast Superchargers

Post Thanks / Like

Will a 5 x 4.75" wheel fit on our 5 x 120mm lug pattern?
    SOLD: 2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6
    Current Vehicle: 1984 Chevy K10 (it's red and redneck)
    New Vehicle: 1972 2wd K5 Blazer. It's being built right now. Link to the build is HERE

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
    - John Henry Boetcker

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
    Will a 5 x 4.75" wheel fit on our 5 x 120mm lug pattern?
    5x4.75" is 5x120.65mm. It will fit. The 17" Fbody wheels we are using for DRs are 5x4.75". The 18" Vette wheels that Panther 2 is using are 5x4.75" pattern.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! I was looking at a set of Vette wheels.
    SOLD: 2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6
    Current Vehicle: 1984 Chevy K10 (it's red and redneck)
    New Vehicle: 1972 2wd K5 Blazer. It's being built right now. Link to the build is HERE

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
    - John Henry Boetcker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can anyone recognize my winter wheels?

??????
    If you can't, they are 2008 Caddy CTS wheels.
    Had to add Pontiac logos of course!
    Bolted right on, even using stock lug nuts.
    Got them from EBAY for $200 (all 4!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default tempting...

I hear you on the ebay wheels, those are tempting. I'm leaning more towards the BMW take-offs, or 'knock-offs'. I don't want to go larger than 19', and there are some hella deals on ebay....

..problem is, I don't want to be the guinea pig!

example - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-1...Q5fAccessories

Another I kinda like - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-wh...Q5fAccessories

It all comes down to the offset. It's just hard to 'imagine' how it will look. I know it would be more inset than ours, but...
    Last edited by Saginaw748; 01-26-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    Joe C.
    '08 I.O.M. V6 - Daily Driver