Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No BS dyno test of Vararam CAI for G8

I is teh sexy pubah grandmacpubah's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick G View Post
    I finally had a chance to log the MAP numbers of the stock airbox vs the Vararam on the dyno and at speed. Here are the findings:

Stock Air box:
    kPa would drop from 101 to 96kPa at WOT on the dyno and at speeds of over 100mph. No ram air effect.

Vararam:
    kPa would drop from 101 to 98kPA at WOT on the dyno. (2 kPa better than stock).
    kPa would hover between 99-100kPa at speeds above 60mph with an occasional 101kPA. (4-5 kPa better than stock).

Net result, the Vararam gave 2 kPa less restriction on the chassis dyno vs. the stock air box and added an additional 2-3 kPa in pressure at speeds above 60 mph. Since we gained around 10rwhp on the dyno with a 2kPa gain, it is possible to pick up a total of 20rwhp over the stock airbox at speeds over 60mph considering the 4-5kPa gain of the VR vs. stock.
    wow I like this guy lol nice tests...I need to try that with my new era...i'm just to lazy to put my stock airbox back on.
    09 Stryker Blue G8 GT *Gone*
    1 of 1,111

Show
    20% Llumar Tint
    VentureShield ClearBra
    Matrix NanoWeb Paint Sealant
    Partial Debadge
    Red Calipers
    Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 19X8.5 19X10
    Go
    Vararam
    Vector ECM/TCM Stealth Tune
    American Racing Headers 1 3/4
    SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley
    Vector HSRK
    Billet Catch Can
    Pedders Track II W/Drop
    BMR Trailing Arms

1/4 mile... coming soon
    0-60 3.97 per DH

2010 F-250 Crew Cab w/6.4 diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grandmacpubah View Post
    wow I like this guy lol nice tests...I need to try that with my new era...i'm just to lazy to put my stock airbox back on.
    Ditto. This should be standard for reviewing or qualifying products. Insturmented data collection and back to back comparisons. What a concept. Just a little more reliable than the common butt-o-meeter feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info. Would love to see some track testing as well. How does all of this transition to the track. I've seen about .5 second improvement stock vs (intake & tune).
    2008 G8 GT #509 of 888 - Ignition Orange
    Performance: NEP OTR Intake, NEP Custom ECM/TCM Tune, VMS HSRK, Solo J-pipe Axle-back and X-pipe
    Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01
    www.fourdoormafia.com

Post Thanks / Like

I never ran stock so I have nothing to compare to
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grandmacpubah View Post
    Yea you can bet that ANYTHING Pat G tests or uses on his own car will be a thorough, in depth analysis to get the exact gains!
    BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by '02 ws6 View Post
    Yea you can bet that ANYTHING Pat G tests or uses on his own car will be a thorough, in depth analysis to get the exact gains!

Yep, +1

2009 White Hot G8 GT (stock)

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,
    Ported Intake Manifold, Spohn Trailing Arms

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie, would you be in favor of Sticky-ing this in VaraRam's section?

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by '02 ws6 View Post
    Charlie, would you be in favor of Sticky-ing this in VaraRam's section?
    By all means!
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick, did you log the Barometric KPA for all of your testing as well, just curious as to the differences?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick G View Post
    I finally had a chance to log the MAP numbers of the stock airbox vs the Vararam on the dyno and at speed. Here are the findings:

Stock Air box:
    kPa would drop from 101 to 96kPa at WOT on the dyno and at speeds of over 100mph. No ram air effect.

Vararam:
    kPa would drop from 101 to 98kPA at WOT on the dyno. (2 kPa better than stock).
    kPa would hover between 99-100kPa at speeds above 60mph with an occasional 101kPA. (4-5 kPa better than stock).

Net result, the Vararam gave 2 kPa less restriction on the chassis dyno vs. the stock air box and added an additional 2-3 kPa in pressure at speeds above 60 mph. Since we gained around 10rwhp on the dyno with a 2kPa gain, it is possible to pick up a total of 20rwhp over the stock airbox at speeds over 60mph considering the 4-5kPa gain of the VR vs. stock.
    Great info.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes