Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The G8 must be a true piece of shit. (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYG8GT View Post
    terrible mileage in city driving even with a light foot (15mpg wtf)
    isnt 15mpg city what our window stickers said?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
    I will admit that I keep getting these "second chance" extended warranty offers in the mail from GM since I'm still under 12,000 miles. Given what we hear, I just might get it as a precaution.
    be careful, there are a lot of scams out there that take your money and the warranty covers 3 pistons and the water pump, but only if you change your oil every 3 months or 3k miles. GM would not be sending you junk mail about a warranty that is not close to expiring. I see these all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chipman283 View Post
    I wish I could get 15 MPG, I only get about 13.5-14 MPG, might just be my heavy foot.
    +1, ever since I got my CAI I have not seen over 13 around town... damn car sounds soooo good at 3500 rpms

Quote Originally Posted by stryker g8gt View Post
    AH! I see the problem your using the metric system.......lol j/k

lol.
    **RIP Shaun Finley**
    FUCK CANCER
    **RIP Charlie**

'16 2SS NFG Camaro M6 NPP Mag
    Procharged, custom 4.5" heat exchanger, custom cam
    LT4 fuel system and top hardware, Stainless Works long tubes
    Weld wheels, Hoosier rear fatties, M&H front skinnies

Post Thanks / Like

A few problems here as well.

1.Rear main seal leak------fixed under warranty.
    2.TCM replaced and new tranny gaskets, updated programming.Warranty
    3.two recalls done---warranty
    4.New front bumper cover-----crack on Original----Good will/Warranty
    5.Sunroof air dam piece replaced-------warranty
    6.Gas cap loosens-----will watch for replacement
    7.Creaky sun roof when reversing out of driveway while open. No Big Deal.
    Most annoying was #1 & #2. The tranny sticking in 2nd gear was the biggest issue.

Since all repairs and 5k miles later..........ZERO issues.

Always had Fords. I LOVE THIS RIDE. My wife's Saab just went in yesterday for warranty issue for a replacement of the coolant reservior tank and a re-programming of the passenger window switch that was causing the window to bounce back down.

Things happen----look at Toyota's 96k vehicle recall just last week.
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GT. Vararam CAI, Auxillary Transmission Cooler, Billett Catch Can, Intake Beauty Cover Delete, 2 Piece Holden Coil Covers, V6 Radiator Cover.

Heater Hose Relocation mod (to be done soon).

2003 Silver Birch Mercury Marauder-Trilogy Motorsports International Supercharger #75, 3.0 pulley, 12.5 psi boost (self installed 4/05), Tuned by Lidio Iaccobelli @ Alternative Automotive 4/09,
    412RWHP, 440RWTQ. Baer 14" front crossdrilled/slotted, rear crossdrilled slotted vented discs. Dynotech MMX driveshaft w/Metco DS loop. Auxillary Tranny cooler, widened rear rims 18x9.5", 18x8.0" fronts. 13.31 @105.8MPH------need a better 60'. Looking for the 12's

Post Thanks / Like

I love my car and have only taken it to the dealer for one recall. Then again, I am not one that complains about every little noise. However, I do think the PBM cars were made with more love
    2009.5 PBM GT
    PatG Tune, Kooks Mids, Roto-fab w/HSRK
    BMR & Crazy Paul stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WickedMom View Post
    isnt 15mpg city what our window stickers said?
    Yeah, but I thought that would be the low end and I might get maybe 1-2mpg better than that, not to mention the tune hasnt done a god damn thing. Then I read some people getting high teens around the city, and it just makes no sense to me. When trucks are getting the same mileage as I am, there is something wrong. Hell, 4 speed auto LS1 F-bodies that are only 400 pounds lighter than my car are getting way better city mileage. Its not a deal breaker for me; I would just think it could do a bit better with 6 speeds, such a low rear gear, gobs of low end torque not requiring high rpm's, and modern engine management. *shrugs* whateva

Whenever I can get the car buttoned up and 100% solid, I'll be a very happy man. I definitely love it a LOT more than I hate it
    2008 MGM G8 GT
    NEP OTR intake
    Custom 2.5" exhaust with X-pipe and Thrush turbo mufflers
    Vector HSRK
    35w 5000k HIDs
    334whp/358lb.ft - 13.05@107 1.98 60'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love it

I just returned from a 4880 mile trip in my GT with over 21000 miles on it and can tell you I have no problems so far.

24.7 mpg with all kinds of driving conditions and 75 to 85 miles per hour on hwy I think mpg is ok.

Oh I guess one complaint would be my is sore.

Post Thanks / Like

- minor steering wheel shake fixed by keeping all four tires at 39 psi, done and done

- sunroof only started getting loose after someone backed into me in a parking lot, resulting in replacement fender, been tightened once and is loosening up again but overall no big deal

- slight buzz behind my left ear when driving on occasion, goes away after a while, fixed by louder radio

- silver door trim on driver door sill slightly warped and starting to peel off, after 104F heat and shop monkeys fixing the wrecked fender I'm not surprised so I let it slide

- driver seat trim/control panel is pooched out and there is a slight gap now, that's what I get for sitting in a chair all day, working on "fat ass removal" mod to address this issue

- didn't come with a jack and spare, fixed by ordering jack and spare

- transmission terminally confused from factory, fixed with Superchips and build 121 has it running like a scalded ape, since I was going to 'chip it anyway I didn't care what the factory tune was like

- I averaged a little under 30 mph on my last tank of gas and still got 18.6 mpg with DOD disabled, can't stop grinning about that totally unexpected

Anything after that was just being nervous about having a new car and getting through the "buyer's remorse" stage. That and being run into TWICE within the space of 3000 miles

Overall this car still lives up to my expectation of "four door Corvette" and I consider my mid-life crisis purchase to be a success. The only major thing I'm upset about is I won't get a chance to buy another when the time comes to replace this one - may that day be a loooooong time coming.
    2009.5 MSM/Onyx G8 GT premium/sport/sunroof
    Wrenched and tuned by Reckart Performance Tuning in Cedar Park, TX USA

Post Thanks / Like

RECAP

Only unresolved issue is front suspension. Combination of two (2) subissues, one GM w/lower arms and second, a probable installation alignment with the front struts (Not GMs Issue).

Milage on the Highway @ 70MPH : 27MPG based on the DIC, Actual more like almost 29-30MPG

Past resolved issues, left lower arm, strut tower bushings and bearings, gas cap, resurface front rotors, TPMS recall, road force balance.

At 75 MPH car is extremely well handling and stable, no wheel shimmy.

As is now matches a BMW 5 Series, maybe exceedes it.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no perfect car out there that is not going to have it's share of problems. Cars and their parts take a beating when you consider the extreme temperature range they deal with every time you turn them on as well as the elements they deal with across four seasons out of the year. And if you like playing with your car and goose it all the time and drag it regularly, chances are eventually something's going to break.

Obviously G8 owners are experiencing a variety of problems; some are common and some are obscure. I've been lucky enough not to have any oil leaks or transmission fluid leaks but am suspicious of the ball joint issues everyone has talked about. I'm eventually going to get them checked out. That doesn't mean I'm going to sell or dump my car.

Penguin has a point, however harsh it may sound. If you own the G8 and like it enough, find a solution and enjoy it. The G8 is the end of an era.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYG8GT View Post
    Yeah, but I thought that would be the low end and I might get maybe 1-2mpg better than that, not to mention the tune hasnt done a god damn thing. Then I read some people getting high teens around the city, and it just makes no sense to me. When trucks are getting the same mileage as I am, there is something wrong. Hell, 4 speed auto LS1 F-bodies that are only 400 pounds lighter than my car are getting way better city mileage. Its not a deal breaker for me; I would just think it could do a bit better with 6 speeds, such a low rear gear, gobs of low end torque not requiring high rpm's, and modern engine management. *shrugs* whateva

Whenever I can get the car buttoned up and 100% solid, I'll be a very happy man. I definitely love it a LOT more than I hate it
    FWIW, we actually have a "high" rear gear.
    The lower the number, the "higher" the rear.
    The manual GXPs higher numbered 3.70 would be considered a "lower" rear.

Back to your topic and my theory relating to city gas mileage, our cars are geared too high (GT has a 2.92).

With the 6-speed auto, as you know, they are monsters on the highway and I'm sure the gear was meant to help GM meet fuel targets.

But I am of the opinion that if you were to put the 3.27 or 3.45 gear in our 6-speed GTs, you would actually get better city gas mileage with hopefully negligible change on the highway considering how low they rev already.

The lower gear (higher number) will get our heavy car moving easier, with less throttle input, and with less stress on the trans.

One person I talked to who has done the 3.45 gear swap told me he gets better city gas mileage.

The extra several tenths in the quarter is a nice result too.

Sorry to thread jack.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

2009 G8 GT, MSM/Onyx, Prem, Mods: few......Dozen

Post Thanks / Like

Once I get my drive line vibration taken care of I will be 100% happy. Right now I'm only 99% happy with my car.

From my perspective, it's exactly what I was expecting and wanted.
    4 doors (check)
    LS3 motor (check)
    manual transmission (check)

The rest is insignificant to me. It's fun to drive and pretty quick for a heavy ass tank.
    SOLD: 2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6
    Current Vehicle: 1984 Chevy K10 (it's red and redneck)
    New Vehicle: 1972 2wd K5 Blazer. It's being built right now. Link to the build is HERE

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
    - John Henry Boetcker