Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The G8 must be a true piece of shit. (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think I've had any problems with mine but its probably because not to much thats left over is stock!! LOL Seriously though, I feel for those of you who have had problems. I have had one problem but the worst part of that situation was getting the parts to fix it. I waited 29 days for an alternator. Alternators break, I understand that. But to have absolutely 0 in the states and to wait 29 days for an alternator to float its way here in a damn kangaroo from Down Under? That was painful. So like has been said on here before, if it breaks, fix it. Just hope your part isnt coming from Australia and your kangaroo doesnt drown on the way!
    Roto-Fab CAI, 25% UDP, "TR Blower" - 214/230 .601/.579 117 LSA, DOD Delete, Kooks LTH's, Kooks catted x-pipe, Kooks axle-backs, DMH electric cutouts, a little shot (ok, maybe not so little) of happy juice and tune by Tony G. @ HP Performance.

pissing'n wind = wet face stryker g8gt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The stuff you read does make you think - actually what it really makes me think about is not about the quality of the stock vehicle - but about how much modding this car can take before stuff breaks. Most production cars have a tolerance for some modding. Go far past that and I would expect any production vehicle to become temprimental. Unless, of course, you replace all the stock parts with parts that are built to take the abuse. A stock production vehicle is not meant to be treated like a race car - something will break.
    I agree, I have moded the heck out my last couple of new cars and trucks. the more mod moeny spent the more things go wrong........ I have warped axles, trashed trannys, and other items....but I deserved it all. MORE POWER!!!!!!!

Once I get a pernament fix on the drivers seat trim i will be happy....5th or 6th time it has broke now.

V8 Muscle

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like

My current list of problems I've had with my G8 includes.

A few small interior rattles that come and go and cant be herd with the volume on moderate.
    Whiny Alternator
    Creaky sunroof
    Bad oil drain plug
    Blow speaker (probably my fault)
    I've also had a small transmission issue, but it never came back.

My G6 had 2 new transmissions and 11 trips to the dealer before its first birthday. Anyway I look at it my G8's doing pretty good. I've yet to have any of the suspension issues other people have had.

If you're so unhappy with your car that you need to bitch about it all the time, GET RID OF IT! Try a Ford, they seam to be doing good things lately.

Jordie
    2008 MazdaSpeed 3 - A few Mods
    2009 Panther Black G8GT -
    VMS ECU/TCU Tune, Vararam Intake, FasterProms Ported Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT's mated to a Magnaflow catback with Magnaflow Spun Metallic Cats, & Powerbond UD Pulley

Post Thanks / Like

My list of problems with my G8.

1.) Ummm..... OH YEAH! I haven't had any.

Car has never been back to the dealer!

Used to be that people would say "Never buy the first year of
    any new car model". Well, some of us, including me did.
    And boy, am I glad I did. Any vehicle can have problems.
    I've had GM, Ford, MOPAR, AMC, Toyota, and Honda vehicles,
    and usually had a few minor issues with most of them.

But, as far as the G8 goes, I love this car. You can see in my sig
    the few mods I have done. This is probably all I will do for a while.

I'm still getting 26+ MPG on the highway even with the SuperChips
    93 octane tune, AFM turned off and torque at 125%. My around
    town mileage has gone down a little to about 18-19 because with
    the tune I am driving more aggressively.

All in all, this is the best, most fun vehicle I have had this lifetime
    so far, and I have gone the gamit from a '74 Honda Civic, to
    a '78 Corvette, '95 Firbird and many others in between.

I sympathize with those who have had problems but sh*t happens.

F.Y.I. - I will hit 34,000 miles driving home this Friday from Baltimore.
    2008 IOM G8 GT
    MODS: OPG CAI
    PYPES Violator axle backs
    Auterra Dash Dyno SPO
    SuperChips Cortex
    Tint - 5% rear - 35% sides

Post Thanks / Like

Lets see
    Dealer Trip #1 - Refinish all brake rotors
    Trip #2 - Replace both headlight assemblies due to fogging
    Trip #3 - Repaint entire front clip due to thin paint
    Trip #4 - Replace windshield due to distortion.
    Trip #5 - Replace all tires with Michelins to try and rid of 85-105Km steering wheel shake.
    Trip #6 - Fix rattle in drivers side door.
    Trip #7 - Front right control arm
    Trip #8 - Replace 2 rear tires,road force balance, change alignment,phase drive shaft - Still F'n shaking steering wheel.

OH I'M HAPPY AS SHIT with MY G8 GT !!!!!!
    Oh yea, just over 20,000 km now.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been driving GM vehicles all my life. I've come to expect little quirks here and there with GM. Ignorance is bliss
    2008 G8 GT #509 of 888 - Ignition Orange
    Performance: NEP OTR Intake, NEP Custom ECM/TCM Tune, VMS HSRK, Solo J-pipe Axle-back and X-pipe
    Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01
    www.fourdoormafia.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first GM product. After owning Fords(Mustang, Taurus SHO, SVT Focus, Lightning), Subaru's('02 WRX, '04 STi, '08 Legacy GT), and a few Toyota's('84 pickup, '03 Tundra, '06 Corolla), I gotta say that I'm impressed with the G8. My issue was raildust on the paint and the thinness of the paint, but Subaru paint was just as bad.

So far, no regrets. In fact I'm looking at a GTP as a second car to keep the miles off the G8. Not that I drive a whole lot. 6200 miless in 8 months.

Mika

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfox View Post
    Lets see
    Trip #5 - Replace all tires with Michelins to try and rid of 85-105Km steering wheel shake.
    Trip #8 - Replace 2 rear tires,road force balance, change alignment,phase drive shaft - Still F'n shaking steering wheel.

I understand that the theme of your post is that at the end of the day you're happy with the G8, but your list serves as a good example of why some people have a neverending list of problems, while some have none. I had a TPMS sensor reprogrammed the day I bought the car and haven't had any issues since. That said, I would have probably lived with most of what you've listed. It's sort of a "to each his own" thing. You've either got a great dealer that is taking great care of you, or you have spent many an hour bitching to get things done. For me, I bought my car 90 miles away and won't set foot in the local dealer's shop, so it's pretty much a hassle to get anything done. What I'm saying is that perception plays a big role in the level of satisfaction. Obviously I mean that in general, and I think it's great that you find the G8 worth it. I am also happy as shit with mine!

I don't see myself being satisfied with anything else GM makes when the G8 begins getting long in the tooth unless something comes out of left field. The CTS is a great car, but it's a little too much lux and not enough sport.
    2008 Liquid Red G8 GT - stock until it doesn't feel fast enough anymore

Post Thanks / Like

12K miles - only issue is the gas cap that occasionally comes loose. Other than that I can't complain.
    - Chris

2009 G8 GT
    Maverick Silver, Onyx, Premium Package, Sport Package, Sunroof, Full Size Spare, Pace Performance Jack Kit, GRRRR8 Heater Hoses, JHP Sport Gauges, Holden Radiator Cover, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, Vector Motorsports HSRK, BlueStar GMLAN Kit, Cargo Tray, Polk db651 Speakers

1986 Pro-Touring T-Type
    Puddin Power Engine, TRW Pistons, Poly MM's, Limit Eng TA-61, Comp 206, Champion CNC Irons, T&D RR's, Art Carr 3200 TC, 70mm Accufab, RJC PP for PTE plenum, RJC 325 Megacooler, Siemens 57# Inj, ATR headers and 3" dp, External WG, Hotchkis TVS, Bilstien Shocks, Baer Brakes, Eaton Posi, SC&C Front Frame Brace, Dual 12" Spal Fans, PTS Extreme Radiator, GNX Dash w/Autometer Phantom Gauges, Dynojet Wideband Commander, GReddy Profec B Spec II boost controller, 4" Big Mouth kit, RJC Pulleys, Flow Kooler water pump, CK Performance Deep Trans Pan, etc.

pissing'n wind = wet face stryker g8gt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfox View Post
    Lets see

AH! I see the problem your using the metric system.......lol j/k

V8 Muscle

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.