Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 17" Wheel Trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default 17" Wheel Trouble

So my buddy has a set of 4 17" wheels collecting dust in his garage and knew I was looking to get a winter setup for the G8. The wheels are 5x120 so we figured they would fit but just to make sure I drove over to his place tonight and jacked up the car, removed the stock wheel and put the 17 on...so far so good....but when we go to tighten the lug nuts down the isn't enough space to get the socket in!!! anyone else run into this??? Is is possible to buy some smaller lugs that still fit the on the screw??? any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into that problem and went to discount tires and they gave me a set of lug nuts that uses a special socket to install them. This socket it much more narrow than a regular socket so it fit. The socket almost looks like one of those lock sockets that come with the gorillia locks for wheels. Hope that helps.
    09 GT Panther Black, Home made CAI, Stock relocated heater hose, intake cover deleted, SLP UDP, No Cats, MagnaFlow exhaust and X pipe, Fuel rails insulated, HP Street Tune by Kevin. 338rwhp/364rwtq=12.7 @108.83 w/1.92 60ft on my 20's...woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI - most BMW wheels fit, too. Same bolt pattern, similar offset. But, they use a smaller stud so you have the same problem. Need a thinwall socket, or new nuts with smaller heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Also check the clearance on the rear bottom a-arm mine was rubbing but I think it was because I was using 17x11 in the rear. If your running something smaller you should be ok I ran a 5/16 spacer and it cleared. Oh and also if the wheels have the balancing weights on the inside make sure they are not rubbing on the caliper drain valve or purge valve. Mine did, luckely for me the weights were so soft that it just put a grove right down the center of them without damaging the valve. It did however tear the plastic protector that came on the valve from the factory. I think those things are just there so a bug or dirt dont get in.
    09 GT Panther Black, Home made CAI, Stock relocated heater hose, intake cover deleted, SLP UDP, No Cats, MagnaFlow exhaust and X pipe, Fuel rails insulated, HP Street Tune by Kevin. 338rwhp/364rwtq=12.7 @108.83 w/1.92 60ft on my 20's...woohoo: