Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to install the extended remote, any tips would be great

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to install the extended remote, any tips would be great

I ordered the extended remote kit a couple of days ago. $150 from local dealer. Service writer says they have not done any yet in this car

What my plan is to install the module and antenna while leaving the old unit still hooked up. Then they can pull info from the old module and then plug in the new one as I will leave back seat out and rear deck cover removed. Hopefully they will be able to program it and my existing keys and it should be good to go.

Last night I pulled everything out of the back of the car and installed the new extended remote control module. Here is how it went
    First feel under the rear seat at the outward edges and you will feel a retain thing in the car floor. Grab the seat firmly and pull up. It will snap out then the same with the other side and tilt the seat cushin upward and pull out. Now you have the out of the way. You can see the two retianers that are recessed into the floor on the leading edge near where the carpet wraps up from the floor. When you reinstall the seat line the slots up and push firmly down and you will hear a snap/pop when they go in.

Now remove the two nuts on left and right side seat back cushins at the bottom. 13mm deepwell socket. Note I have one nut on and one off in picture. Once off pull bottom out and slide seat cushin up. Both sides. When reinstalling the seat cushings make sure to have the seat belts on the outside of the cushin as well as the seat belt clips. It is easy to put the seat cushins back in and forget to reposition the belts leaving them behind the cushin.

You now will notice the the rear deck cover has four plastic retainers that need to be removed. A trim tool works nice to remove them. Pry from under the deck cover otherwise they will/can break if you put the tool just on the head of the retainer. Also notice where the middle seat belt is routed. You have to cut the fabric to allow the belt to come out of the deck cover for complete removal. Having the deck cover removed makes the antenna install much easier. You will understand where to cut it at the bottom where the belt slot is in the cover.

Next you have to remove the child safety latch retains. This requires a 1/2" socket. No metric on this one. These have a 1/2" spacer under them that might come out when you unbolt them and they might stay in the deck led cover. Just make sure you do not lose them. It is critical for them to be installed correctly for safety.
    Also when you route the antenna make sure it does not go over where the latch restraint bolts go thorough to avoid pinching the new antenna wire. I have no idea what the torque value is for the latch bolts are. If it is of concern maybe some here has a manaul and can post it. I just tightened them down a reasonable amount.

Now you have to remove the rear pillar covers. You will see on the leading edge each side the cover that says airbag you need to find the little slot and pop that cover off and remove the T20 torx screw and then carefully pull the cover towards the center of the car and you will here pop and that is the blue snpa in retainer letting go. Then slide cover off. You will see the side curtain airbags. I had no concerns with this as you do not touch them at all.

After both pillar covers are removed lift from the center of the deck cover and work it outward and off. Note there is four slide in retainers that when reinstalling the cover that need to go back into place near the glass. If they are not in place the child restrain latch blocks will not reinstall/line up properly. I found this out. When reinstalling this cover slide it in place and then slide it out a little and push down at the back of the cover until they are in the slots on the rear deck itself. THis I found to be the biggest hassle of the whole job.

The module with the yellow sticker on it. This is the one you install, You will plug the new antenna in just not the plug from the old module.. I unsnapped the old unit and left everything plugged in. The dealer tech plugged the new one in during installation/programming.
    The routing of the antenna goes behind the module and you wrap it into a figure eight loop and the antenna mounts on the passenger side pillar outside at least this is what I am doing. Find where the antenna is going first then wrap the loop (figure 8 style) and then attach wires to what ever you can to keep them in place then into the new module.

After you are done the antenna will be about where mine is.

I left my antenna taped in place as it is cold here and I am concerned that it will not hold until it is warmer. So I will pull the adhesive strip in the summer or spring and properly have it mounted. I am still little unclear of its exact position as I have yet to see a diagram of the exact placement.

The dealer programmed everything and now it works so it seems very well compared to the way it used to work. The tech also programmed the existing key/fobs as well as the new remote. The cost was $122 for programming. The remote will start the car in the parking lot of Menard's when I went in for the gorilla tape holding the antenna in place. Before if I was further then 30' from the car it would not even unlock. The remote lets you know if the car is running and also has a count down timer to when it will shut off. Fuel level and tire pressure.

I left eveything out of the back of the car so the tech could plug the new unit in when he was ready with the programming. I reinstalled everything this evening. I am certain this saved some coin doing it this way. I still think the programming was costly but it does work well.
    Last edited by Struggle; 01-24-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Updated
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the stuff about the antenna install. I think Wicked Mom has put this somehwere as well but might help to have it in this thread.

Special Tools
    • Scan Tool with capability of communicating on GMLAN

• Service Programming System (SPS - TIS2WEB or equivalent)

• J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool (if the vehicle is equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS))

• Surface Cleaner (50 percent isopropyl alcohol, FS-1082 hi-flash naphtha or equivalent)

• Adhesion Promoter GM P/N 12378462 (Canadian P/N 10953554)

Procedure
    Important: Please review this entire procedure before trying to perform it.

Replace the factory Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) with the 2-way RCDLR included in the kit. See Remote Control Door Lock Receiver and Theft Deterrent Module Replacement. Do not reassemble yet.
    Remove the passenger side "C" pillar trim. See Quarter Upper Trim Panel Replacement.

Secure the antenna wire to the "C" pillar sheet metal using three Argent wire wraps (1) leaving 138 mm (5 7/16 in) (a) of wire from the antenna base to the first Argent wire wrap.
    Reassemble the passenger side "C" pillar trim.
    Clean the antenna mounting location on the passenger side "C" pillar trim with an alcohol wipe.

Dry the "C" pillar trim thoroughly using a lint free cloth.
    Apply Adhesion Promoter GM P/N 12378462 (Canadian P/N 10953554) to the area of the "C" pillar trim where the antenna will be mounted. Follow the adhesion promoter instructions on the product label.
    Important:

• The adhesion promoter must be used to assure adequate bonding of the antenna.

• Mask off or protect areas before applying the adhesion promoter.

• Position the antenna according to the figure provided.

Remove the protective film from the adhesive pad on the antenna.

Using the measurements , a=340 mm (13 3/8 in) and b=55 mm (2 3/16 in), attach the antenna to the passenger side "C" pillar trim.
    Press firmly on the antenna, including all four corners of the adhesive pad, in order to ensure proper adhesion to the trim panel.
    Hold pressure on the antenna for 10-30 seconds.
    Ensure that no gaps occur between the antenna adhesive pad and the "C" pillar trim.

Secure antenna wire (1) with three wire wraps (2), to the existing factory harness (3).

Important: If the harness is not present to secure the cable to, re-locate it from its tied back position to the body harness and clip in place. Secure the loose connectors to the foam wrapped harness with a wire wrap.

Continue to route the antenna wire (3) towards the RCDLR, secure with three Argent wire wraps (1). Loop the excess antenna wire in a "Figure 8" and secure to the existing wire harness with two wire wraps (2).
    Important: Excess wire must be looped in a "Figure 8" no less than 100 mm (4 in) in length, failure to do this will reduce the performance of the system.

Remove the factory keyless entry antenna.
    Connect the antenna to the RCDLR.
    Program the new RCDLR. See Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Programming and Setup.
    Using the scan tool, retrieve any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from all of the modules.
    Clear all DTCs.
    Remove the scan tool.
    Drive the vehicle above 25 mph for at least two minutes. This is to update the tire pressure displays.
    Operate the 2-way and factory transmitters in order to verify correct system operation. See Keyless Entry System Description and Operation. Press a command button with the vehicle ignition ON in order to synchronize the 2-way transmitter clock to the vehicle clock.
    Add the transmitters to the customer key rings.
    Place the 2-Way Advanced Remote Start Owner Manual in the instrument panel compartment.
    Keep the vehicle dry. Allow 6-8 hours, at 15°C (60°F), for the antenna adhesive to cure after installation.
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write-up. Sticking.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had mine done about a year ago, the tech had to call GMTAC to get a special program for it. I think they went with the programming from an Impala.
    09 Liquid red G8GT
    VMS ecm/tcm 93 octane dyno tune
    8000k hid's
    Inalfa sunroof
    Mach Shorty, Solo HFC's, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's
    Rotofab cai & radiator cover
    BT from 09.5
    GXP fascia & diffuser
    BMR subframe connectors & bushings, diff bushings, trans brace, trailering arms
    13.207@107.11
    338 hp/337 tq

Post Thanks / Like

I read something to that effect on the other board where a guy had to use a impala calibration as the G8 one was bad. I know it took the tech sometime to get it done. He had a laptop hooked up to the car as well. Not sure what that was about other than to download something off GM. I drove the car all yesterday and the remote works perfectly.

Sure you have to carry the bigger fob but it is worth the hassle when it works properly in the winter. I have not tried the distance on the old remotes yet but I am betting it has improved distance as well.

I still kind of feel burned that I spent amost $280 to get this done when the factory remote should have worked better but at least this system lets you know the car is confirmed running which is nice.
    Last edited by Struggle; 01-25-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are referring to my post on the other board.
    09 Liquid red G8GT
    8000k hid's
    Inalfa sunroof
    BT from 09.5
    GXP fascia & diffuser
    13.207@107.11
    338 hp/337 tq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mi04se1 View Post
    I think you are referring to my post on the other board.
    I kind of thought that might be you after you posted that here. Tech did not complain about the programing so I wonder if the issue has been resolved. As bad as I wanted to stand over the guy I left him alone. I was a tech at a Chrysler dealership and it was never good having a customer ridng you around in the shop.
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a parts manager and the guy who did it worked right outside the parts department. We were good friends and he wanted to make sure it was right. The G8 programming was fine, but the tpms would not stay programmed. Thats why TAC said to use the Impala program instead. No problems since.
    09 Liquid red G8GT
    8000k hid's
    Inalfa sunroof
    BT from 09.5
    GXP fascia & diffuser
    13.207@107.11
    338 hp/337 tq

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to report my wife was able to start the car now from her third floor office about a 1/4 of a block away.

So this system has exceeded my expectations.
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver