Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: No Low Beams on 96 Cavalier - DRL's work - Please HELP!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Low Beams on 96 Cavalier - DRL's work - Please HELP!!

I am stumped on this one. My wife came home complaining that the headlights shut off on her while driving home the other nite. I pulled the fuse for the Right Headlight, examined it, and put it back in. Right headlight came on. Pulled the left, and examined it, same thing. Light came on. Figured it was corrosion on the Fuse terminals - problem fixed right?

Two days later both lights are out again. Pulled the fuses and Nada. Doesn't work. Fuses look intact. Replaced the fuses with new ones, but again no dice. Shortly after I realize that the DRL's are working but as soon as you rotate to the low beams they quit. I looked at the wiring harness for the low beams, but couldn't see any signs of damage to the wiring grommet, or any signs of corrosion. I pulled what I believe is the DRL relay out of the harness that is mounted to the frame rail in front of the radiator, examined it and plugged it back in. No dice.

The turn signal stock doesn't appear to be loose. I rotated the switch and tried to hold it in between parking at low beams to see if it was a flaky switch, but that did nothing.

What else can I check? I am at a loss. Highbeams work fine. Parking lights work fine, DRL's work, but no low beams. Funny thing about it, they did work after pulling the fuses and putting them back in, but not no more now.

Any Ideas Charlie???

Thanks!
    Last edited by DolomiteG8; 05-08-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    2008 Panther Black G8 GT /w Premium Package + Sunroof
    2005 Subaru Baja Turbo

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It probably has a bad multi-function switch, but let me eat and I will look it up on AllData and let you know.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure there is no power to the headlights, if there isnt then the multi function switch failed. Very common on many makes of cars.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Charlie!!! Just to clarify, the multifunction switch is the stalk that sticks out from the steering column that controls the headlamps correct? Or is it a module that the stalk plugs into? I know on my old Prix, the multifuntion switch and stalk were all in one unit. Is it the same on the 96 Cavalier?

Thanks for your help!
    2005 Subaru Baja Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Its all one piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Replaced the multifunction switch. Still no low beams. Could it be anything else besides the harness? Would the DRL relay contribute to the problem?

See, the wierd thing was, when I pulled the low beam fuse for the right lamp and plugged it back in the right lamp came on. Same for the left. This worked at least twice, and now it doesn't at all. I can't imagine that being a harness problem. I would think it would either work, or not at all.

I sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the socket connecters for the fuses. Replaced the fuses as well.

Any other ideas?
    2005 Subaru Baja Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Underneath your battery tray you will find a harness connector that will be acid damaged,Just pull the wires out of the ends of the connector and then resplice each wire together bypassing the connector