Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Transmission Installed. FLARE STILL THERE!! REALLY??

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Transmission Installed. FLARE STILL THERE!! REALLY??

Well, I just got my G8 GT back last night from having a new/rebuilt transmission installed due to water being in the existing one from the transmission dip stick tube I installed. Yeah, I know, pretty stupid. Anyhow, the dealer really helped me out more than what I thought due to this really not being a warrantable. Anyhow..................there is still a flare on certain shifts in both regular drive and sport mode, and I am not really getting on her when it is flaring. Before she started showing signs of issues, she was shifting just fine. There are only 386xx miles on her.

Is this really going to be the new ride. Sit back and enjoy the flare? I've heard that with a tune it is resovled, but shouldn't there be GM tune that takes care of that? What causes the flare in the first place? Is something slipping? I don't really like it and don't want to be hurting something as I want to get many more miles out of this car,

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

Bill
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GT. Vararam CAI, Auxillary Transmission Cooler, Billett Catch Can, Intake Beauty Cover Delete, 2 Piece Holden Coil Covers, V6 Radiator Cover.

Heater Hose Relocation mod (to be done soon).

2003 Silver Birch Mercury Marauder-Trilogy Motorsports International Supercharger #75, 3.0 pulley, 12.5 psi boost (self installed 4/05), Tuned by Lidio Iaccobelli @ Alternative Automotive 4/09,
    412RWHP, 440RWTQ. Baer 14" front crossdrilled/slotted, rear crossdrilled slotted vented discs. Dynotech MMX driveshaft w/Metco DS loop. Auxillary Tranny cooler, widened rear rims 18x9.5", 18x8.0" fronts. 13.31 @105.8MPH------need a better 60'. Looking for the 12's

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you still carrying a warranty with this tranny? If not, then take it to a reputable tuner and have them retune it to get rid of it.
    2009.5 SBM G8 GT--More mods than I care to talk about...

Post Thanks / Like

Stock tune sux. Get 'er done by a pro.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

It's still under warranty. I'm being told to give it a little time to let the transmission learn. I'm going to go this route and hope this is what needs to take place. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket69GTP View Post
    Are you still carrying a warranty with this tranny? If not, then take it to a reputable tuner and have them retune it to get rid of it.
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GT. Vararam CAI, Auxillary Transmission Cooler, Billett Catch Can, Intake Beauty Cover Delete, 2 Piece Holden Coil Covers, V6 Radiator Cover.

2003 Silver Birch Mercury Marauder-Trilogy Motorsports International Supercharger #75, 3.0 pulley, 12.5 psi boost (self installed 4/05), Tuned by Lidio Iaccobelli @ Alternative Automotive 4/09,
    412RWHP, 440RWTQ. Baer 14" front crossdrilled/slotted, rear crossdrilled slotted vented discs. Dynotech MMX driveshaft w/Metco DS loop. Auxillary Tranny cooler, widened rear rims 18x9.5", 18x8.0" fronts. 13.31 @105.8MPH------need a better 60'. Looking for the 12's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetair View Post
    Well, I just got my G8 GT back last night from having a new/rebuilt transmission installed due to water being in the existing one from the transmission dip stick tube I installed. Yeah, I know, pretty stupid. Anyhow, the dealer really helped me out more than what I thought due to this really not being a warrantable. Anyhow..................there is still a flare on certain shifts in both regular drive and sport mode, and I am not really getting on her when it is flaring. Before she started showing signs of issues, she was shifting just fine. There are only 386xx miles on her.

Is this really going to be the new ride. Sit back and enjoy the flare? I've heard that with a tune it is resovled, but shouldn't there be GM tune that takes care of that? What causes the flare in the first place? Is something slipping? I don't really like it and don't want to be hurting something as I want to get many more miles out of this car,

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

Bill
    A few possibilities.

1. They didn't actually do anything and just charged you for the rebuild. Cynical, but possible.
    2. 17 year old Mechanic went and did donuts in the parking lot after installing the new trans for 2 hours. Again, cynical, but possible.
    3. They rebuilt it and didn't do a good job.
    4. They didn't install it correctly or broke something while installing.
    5. The trans does not have the correct stock TCM tune.
    6. You have an incorrect ECM tune that is sending incorrect torque values to the TCM.
    7. One of the things connected to the transmission is broken, e.g. the Torque Converter, Driveshaft, or Rear Differential.
    8. You didn't give the transmission long enough to adapt after install.
    9. Any combination of the above or other factors as well.

This is infuriating I know. And I am getting ready to go down the same road with my G8 GT that has a hurt transmission I believe. So I am very curious as to what the resolution is. Hang in there.
    2009.5 G8 GXP White Hot 6M, Heads/Cam/Intake/3.91
    515rwhp/477tq SAE Dynojet
    7.518@93.48 1.63 60' +1072 DA (1/8 mile)
    11.815@118.85 1.83 60' +364 DA (1/4 mile)
    CBI Street Cars
    DSX Tuning
    danlewisracing.com

Post Thanks / Like

#2 is the one that really cracks me up. It's gotta be that one. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cynic783 View Post
    A few possibilities.

1. They didn't actually do anything and just charged you for the rebuild. Cynical, but possible.
    2. 17 year old Mechanic went and did donuts in the parking lot after installing the new trans for 2 hours. Again, cynical, but possible.
    3. They rebuilt it and didn't do a good job.
    4. They didn't install it correctly or broke something while installing.
    5. The trans does not have the correct stock TCM tune.
    6. You have an incorrect ECM tune that is sending incorrect torque values to the TCM.
    7. One of the things connected to the transmission is broken, e.g. the Torque Converter, Driveshaft, or Rear Differential.
    8. You didn't give the transmission long enough to adapt after install.
    9. Any combination of the above or other factors as well.

This is infuriating I know. And I am getting ready to go down the same road with my G8 GT that has a hurt transmission I believe. So I am very curious as to what the resolution is. Hang in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Transmission Installed. FLARE STILL THERE!! REALLY??

Make sure the fluid is topped off. Funny, no one even mentioned the first thing any mechanic would do. And the easiest/cheap thing to do.

If all is good, the fluid isn't horribly colored or smell burnt (again, who knows what the shop did) and assuming the trans was rebuilt, let it "break in". That's my advice for the moment. There is some other good suggestions on here if there is something wrong with it.

Post Thanks / Like

The install was done at a GM dealership by a mechanic I know and trust. Even though I personally haven't checked the level I am sure it is where it is supposed to be. I spoke to the shop foreman this morning as well to discuss what he calls a "sloppy shift" not a flare. I am being advised to give it time to break in and learn and that is what I am going to do. I need to get my motor mounts installed in a few weeks when they come in and I'll see where this goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll be ok. Trans needs to learn how you drive. Give it 100 miles of normal driving (don't get on the freeway and go 50 miles out and turn around). If its still funky after that ask them to check fluid level, be sure they know how.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it flare on the 1-2 shift when driving slowly?

Mine did that and was 1.5 qts low.

Good chance it needs to learn though.